Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do we have any posts on how to ride safely in the heat.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It certainly has been discussed here...

If I didn't ride in the heat, I'd miss out on at least a third of the year on 2 wheels.

It is generally north of the century mark from May thru September here. And before anyone chimes in - no, it's not as humid as other locales - but, hot is hot.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Biggest tip I can offer. Then, hydrate more. If you aren't pissing clear, you're not drinking enough.

Use one of those cool vests. They really work.

Wear long sleeves. Wear wicking materials or long-sleeved hiking shirts (they vent well and have SPF materials).

Use a quality sunscreen liberally. Apply often.

Hydrate often.

If you have lowers, remove them during the summer.

Use Gold Bond powder to avoid monkey butt.

Isolate your ass from the seat with a pad or sheep skin.

Enjoy it... relishing in the fact that you can ride year 'round.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great suggestions - believe me as we just did 500 miles in 99 to 100 degree heat. I will second the fluids. Drink drink and drink water. If time permits, take more breaks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Another vote for long sleeve shirts to keep the sun off of you. I stop every 45-60 minutes to buy fresh water (two bottles, one for the water bottle I keep at my hip and one to pour on me ocassionally to have evaporative cooling). I also use a bandanna over my lower face and keep it moist so I'm not breathing "hair dryer" air.

Oh yeah, and hydrate!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. great tips. I am having trouble convincing the little lady to wear a long sleeve shirt.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
thanks guys. great tips. I am having trouble convincing the little lady to wear a long sleeve shirt.
Psychologically wearing sleeves sounds wrong, but actually works saving skin and preserving hydration. Lighter colors keep it as cool as possible and finding something that will wick away the sweat and use it for that extra cooling effect will make a believer of her after one ride. :)

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I use a collar made of the water beads used to keep plants hydrated. Soak it in ice water until the beads expand and then tie it on. Works all day to evap on my neck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah. Re-apply sunscreen. Did a 250mi ride the other day with a buddy. Still got a little crispy on my arms and neck. I should of stopped and reapplied. I have a detachable drink holder on the bars and always have a bottle of water with me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wear the tropic weight long sleeve shirts that LL Bean sells and I like them a lot. They're probably worthless as abrasion protection but I stay cool, covered up and look as good as my advanced geezerness allows.

Please remind her that sun damage is cumulative and every sunburn increases her risk of skin cancer.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I recently bought Harley's Contention mesh jacket and rode all of SWII with it. Protection from the sun and the wind whistles through it nicely. Worked for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just put on about 2500 miles to South Dakota and back in 100+ degree heat. I was riding solo, so I tried an idea I had after a long hot trip last year. I took a 1 gallon Igloo water jug, filled it with a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 Gator-Ade, and added ice. The spigot on top was just the right size to allow me to force-fit a length of 1/4" clear tubing thru the spigot and to the bottom of the jug. I cut the hose to length to reach from the jug, thru the bracket on the riders backrest and where I could get a drink while riding. After drinking, gently blow the liquid in the hose back into the jug to avoid dripping liquid all over the bike. I cut the hose long enough to run it thru a belt loop, and when finished, tuck the end into my jeans pocket. Worked like a champ. Stayed hydrated and cool. I got a lot of weird looks on the road, bit I've never been known to give much of a shit what others think of my "brainstorms". Oh yeah, this rig was bungeed on the bike, sitting proudly in my wife's position on the passengers seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts