Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding out from Michigan. Planning on riding through PA, NY, VT, NH, then into Maine for a few days. From there, I'll start heading South until I hit the Potomac River to do some sight seeing. I really want to camp the whole trip, but know that it might be harder the further South I venture. My main goal is to get a few days camping in Maine, and to enjoy some awesome lobster. I'll be riding solo, and don't really have a time table. Very flexible.

Just looking for ideas or suggestions. Looking for a nice little shack on the side of the road to stop and have a few cold beers and a huge lobster tail. From there, I'm open to anything else. Thanks for any pointers.

Dave

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Download the KOA app. I just did 9 states and that app kicks ass. I'd find a KOA about where I wanted to stop. And reserve the site right then. When I got there my map and site location was tacked to the wall after closing. No need to check out. Just leave. And there's a ton down south. You won't have any issues. Luray VA is a beautiful KOA. And you have the caverns right there and you're about 45 miles from skyline drive.

http://www.roadglide.org/10-road-trip-discussions-stories-pictures/328865-4-days-2152-miles-9-states.html

You'll be passing right by my house in Ohio. Look up Geneva on the lake. Cool little stop off.

Have fun.

Also. We did a NE run last year. Look up "The Lobster Shack" ya stand in line order your food and then go to a picnic table 25 yards off the ocean. Really cool place. And it is a hot spot. All the locals eat there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Download the KOA app. I just did 9 states and that app kicks ass. I'd find a KOA about where I wanted to stop. And reserve the site right then. When I got there my map and site location was tacked to the wall after closing. No need to check out. Just leave. And there's a ton down south. You won't have any issues. Luray VA is a beautiful KOA. And you have the caverns right there and you're about 45 miles from skyline drive.

http://www.roadglide.org/10-road-trip-discussions-stories-pictures/328865-4-days-2152-miles-9-states.html

You'll be passing right by my house in Ohio. Look up Geneva on the lake. Cool little stop off.

Have fun.

Also. We did a NE run last year. Look up "The Lobster Shack" ya stand in line order your food and then go to a picnic table 25 yards off the ocean. Really cool place. And it is a hot spot. All the locals eat there.
I never thought of a camping app. Lol! Great idea!! I plan on riding until 5pm or so, then start looking for camping. Not sure what time the sun starts going down over there, so I'll have to watch that too. Not a fan of setting up camp in the dark with coons and other critters running around. Lol! But, thanks for the app advice! Definitely going to check out some lobster shacks. Been reading up on them. Looks like a lot of them are BYOB. Kinda cool.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
498 Posts
Around this time in New England it starts getting dark a little after eight.

You might want to book your campground a little ahead of time, especially near the ocean and popular spots. It's peak season so things fill up pretty fast

Enjoy your ride

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Around this time in New England it starts getting dark a little after eight.

You might want to book your campground a little ahead of time, especially near the ocean and popular spots. It's peak season so things fill up pretty fast

Enjoy your ride
Sage advice. Thanks, brother.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I would love to see you down this way in SE NC, but it is really hot down here starting in VA. maybe even further nawth. Hot is not the word. Sizzling would be the word not much better at night.

We call it the Texas heat wave. You would sleep on top of the sleeping bag. The mosquitoes can carry you off. Some are so old they just lick you and fly away.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Riding out from Michigan. Planning on riding through PA, NY, VT, NH, then into Maine for a few days. From there, I'll start heading South until I hit the Potomac River to do some sight seeing. I really want to camp the whole trip, but know that it might be harder the further South I venture. My main goal is to get a few days camping in Maine, and to enjoy some awesome lobster. I'll be riding solo, and don't really have a time table. Very flexible.

Just looking for ideas or suggestions. Looking for a nice little shack on the side of the road to stop and have a few cold beers and a huge lobster tail. From there, I'm open to anything else. Thanks for any pointers.

Dave
Look at my posts here for the Maine Coastline.

http://www.roadglide.org/10-road-trip-discussions-stories-pictures/329841-shipping-bikes-maine-then-south.html

I have attached the route I took through PA, NY, VT, NH and Maine back in '14

Attachments

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I don't think you can have a bad lobsta meal in Maine. Even this camp store near Acadia National Park had great Lobsta Rolls.

I camped all nights except in Augusta. Had to get a hotel because my riding buddies gear was failing. He didn't pay up for genuine Gore-Tex.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I now live in the FL panhandle but I grew up in RI. When you start heading south, you're gonna have to go through RI. The restaurant you want to go to is called Aunt Carrie's. Its located in Point Judith. Just down the road the Fisherman's Memorial State park, they have camping. I don't remember now, when Aunt Carrie's first opened, I believe it was before WWII. Since that time, not much has changed. They are only open during the summertime.

If you go, check out the 28 lb lobster they have mounted on the wall in the dinning room.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I so enjoyed VT, NH and ME many years ago. I plan to do it again next summer while it is hot as hell in NC. I know some people up that way in those 3 states and find it hard waiting to meet them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think you can have a bad lobsta meal in Maine. Even this camp store near Acadia National Park had great Lobsta Rolls.

I camped all nights except in Augusta. Had to get a hotel because my riding buddies gear was failing. He didn't pay up for genuine Gore-Tex.
Not too much food I don't like. Lol! And my tent is brand new. Not top of the line, but still nice. Hoping for more clear skies than rain. Being gone 12 days will be tough to avoid at least a day of rain.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like an amazing ride! Just some food for thought ... have you ever seen the PA Grand Canyon?
Never seen, or heard of it. I'll have to Google it. Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I now live in the FL panhandle but I grew up in RI. When you start heading south, you're gonna have to go through RI. The restaurant you want to go to is called Aunt Carrie's. Its located in Point Judith. Just down the road the Fisherman's Memorial State park, they have camping. I don't remember now, when Aunt Carrie's first opened, I believe it was before WWII. Since that time, not much has changed. They are only open during the summertime.

If you go, check out the 28 lb lobster they have mounted on the wall in the dinning room.
I'll have to look for it. Thanks! And a 28lb lobster sounds insane! Lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts