Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 FLTRU, only 250 miles on the bike, I had Bassani Reverse Megaphone slip-on's put on at the dealership with an SE Stage I air cleaner and a "download". I get "pops" when I rev the motor and I've even had a couple of them during normal decelleration. I also noticed tonight after only 250 miles on the bike, the right slip-on is already turning gold where it meets the stock headers.

I'm no mechanic, but I think all this means I'm running way lean ... I'm just wondering what that means long term. Should I inspect the plugs already? Do I spend even more money now on headers, SE SuperTuner and dyno tune? Is there a less expensive way to fix this? And is there a way I can tell if the dealership actually performed the "download"?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I'm sure you plan on taking it back to the dealer that did the work. You didn't say when it started to pop. You paid good money for the work. They need to make it right. I had BUB 7 & se A/C & remapped on my 07 & never had any of the problems you mentioned. I'm sure someone else will give you some info. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm sure the dealer will give you the usual response 'that's how all Harleys are' so be ready and don't accept it. They do run lean and that is one reason of the popping on decell. Another reason could be air leaks in the exhaust. If you hear popping when you rev it that is my guess. Either a manifold gasket got displaced when the Bassinis were installed or they didn't bother putting new manifold gaskets in thinking they'd get away with it being almost new. (if they had the headers off) There are ways to fix the lean problem but it means spending money. Get after the dealer and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem on a 07 Ultra Classic. It all started when I fitted the stage 1 to the bike using VH turned down pipes along with VH fuel pak and air fitter. I was told by VH that this was caused by the motor running to lean, which also made it run hotter than it would on leaded fuel.
This was noticeable on the right hand pipe due to it only having a single wall. A few friends using the same set up with twin walled pipes where fine as the excessive heat never reached the outer wall.
I was told by VH there was no fix.

·
Registered
248 Posts
2011 FLTRU, only 250 miles on the bike, I had Bassani Reverse Megaphone slip-on's put on at the dealership with an SE Stage I air cleaner and a "download". I get "pops" when I rev the motor and I've even had a couple of them during normal decelleration. I also noticed tonight after only 250 miles on the bike, the right slip-on is already turning gold where it meets the stock headers.

I'm no mechanic, but I think all this means I'm running way lean ... I'm just wondering what that means long term. Should I inspect the plugs already? Do I spend even more money now on headers, SE SuperTuner and dyno tune? Is there a less expensive way to fix this? And is there a way I can tell if the dealership actually performed the "download"?
Sounds like whatever the dealer downloaded is not giving your motor the proper fuel/air ratios thru certain rpms. I would take it back to the dealer to see if they can get it right. Your slip-on should not be turning brown on 50 degree day in March. These new bikes are set very lean out of the factory and will run hot. With the addition of the stage one air cleaner, you could be running even leaner. Long term....getting tuner like a SE SuperTuner, TTS, or Power Commander will reap benefits. The dyno tuner you select will probably have a preference of a certain tuning software that they feel comfortable with or have experience to tune that could be part of your decision.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sounds like there may be an exhaust leak somewhere. A slip-on should not cause that much of an issue, especially since you still have the stock header and cats. The catalytic converters are a big part of the issue with the pipes turning gold. My head pipes were blue and gold by the time I got home from the dealer (20 miles) and that was with an HD nightstick with open end pipe, SE AC, and the download, but I didn't have any popping.

Short of it is, yes, the bikes run lean and will cause some popping on decel when you change parts, but it sounds like you may have a leak somewhere. The short-term fix is take it back to the dealer to check all of the gaskets and bolts. Long-term fix is to get yourself a tuner; PC-V, TTS, HD SE, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm no mech. either.... but if the bike "pops" on decel, wouldn't that be a cause from too much unburned fuel?? The unburned tends to be caused by richer conditions instead of lean. My '07 runs a bit on the rich side and you can always tell this after a longer ride due to the black powdery residue on the rear of the bags. I'd like to get tuned leaner and extend my range... I enjoy the comments either way, just my $.02

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sounds like there may be an exhaust leak somewhere. A slip-on should not cause that much of an issue, especially since you still have the stock header and cats. The catalytic converters are a big part of the issue with the pipes turning gold. My head pipes were blue and gold by the time I got home from the dealer (20 miles) and that was with an HD nightstick with open end pipe, SE AC, and the download, but I didn't have any popping.

Short of it is, yes, the bikes run lean and will cause some popping on decel when you change parts, but it sounds like you may have a leak somewhere. The short-term fix is take it back to the dealer to check all of the gaskets and bolts. Long-term fix is to get yourself a tuner; PC-V, TTS, HD SE, etc.
what kind of exhaust are you running

·
Registered
71 Posts
The harley stage 1 download only works with harley parts, ie, se a/c, and se slip ons. If you use different slip ons, then the download is not matched to those mullfers, hence, this could be the issue because it is likely that the harley slip ons don't flow as well as the ones you put on. I've got the harley se a/c, stage 1 down load, and the se slip ons and everything works great.

·
Registered
255 Posts
exhaust

My buddy just bought a new electra glide with the 103 motor. He put on python slip ons. They were popping also. He had a K&N filter put on & they took out a plastic plate behind it & now he says he doesn't get the popping as bad as it was . This allowed it to get more air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The harley stage 1 download only works with harley parts, ie, se a/c, and se slip ons. If you use different slip ons, then the download is not matched to those mullfers, hence, this could be the issue because it is likely that the harley slip ons don't flow as well as the ones you put on. I've got the harley se a/c, stage 1 down load, and the se slip ons and everything works great.
I was assured by my dealership that what I picked wouldn't be an issue because there's more restriction in the catalytic converter anyway ... the muffler doesn't have much to do with the process in terms of back pressure.
An additional tidbit of information ... I have a friend with a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited with Bassani slip-ons. He's having the same exact issue ... different dealership, etc... His thinking is that the cat gets so damn hot that it's what's causing the problem.
Anybody have this setup on one of the big twins with the catalytic converter?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was assured by my dealership that what I picked wouldn't be an issue because there's more restriction in the catalytic converter anyway ... the muffler doesn't have much to do with the process in terms of back pressure.
An additional tidbit of information ... I have a friend with a 2010 Electra Glide Ultra Limited with Bassani slip-ons. He's having the same exact issue ... different dealership, etc... His thinking is that the cat gets so damn hot that it's what's causing the problem.
Anybody have this setup on one of the big twins with the catalytic converter?
My bike is a California edition with all of the epa/smog/cat converters all still installed. The download is only for Harley parts and you are using non harley slip ons. If you'll notice, there are different maps (for the power commander) for each set of different mufflers because different mufflers flow differently, although some are pretty close. I'm pretty sure your slip ons flow better than the harley slip ons. I don't have any "pops" issue whether accelerating or decelerating. My download and the se slip ons, are 50 state legal as I'm in California. Although I'm not stating your dealer told you wrong, I'm fairly certain that the download is not meant for your pipes or your friends pipes, as such, you are both having this issue, otherwise, you wouldn't have this issue. But, I'm no expert. I would suggest you give Jamie at Fuelmoto a call and describe your situation and he can give you an expert opinion. In addition, you could call a different dealer and describe the situation as well.
My bike does run real hot but even with this excessive heat, I don't have any driveability issues. Another option is to do a search on this on HDforums as there are alot of posts on that site regarding this issue. I do wish you luck in finding a solution to your problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Several years ago, it was explained to me bikes running too lean would cause the bike to run hot and cause bluing or coloring the finish on pipes. I put Vance & Hines twin slash slip ons and the Ventilator breather on my RGU. The tech told me the flash download was not enough to keep the bike rich enough. I purchased the SE Race Tuner and have no problems. Due to purchasing the tuner, I have ordered the power dual head pipes to go on my new girl too.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
As long as your running a factory H-D download its going to be lean, pop on decel, and turn chrome gold. This is because it has to be street legal for the dealer to do it (thank you epa).

·
Registered
6 Posts
if your pipes are changing colors you probally have a leak did they silicone them? if you want to check down load see if it goes past red line your redline with down load is 6200 rpms factory is 5500 or 5800 this may sound stupid but if it wont go past stock red line they didnt install download. this is from excperience

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
if your pipes are changing colors you probally have a leak did they silicone them? if you want to check down load see if it goes past red line your redline with down load is 6200 rpms factory is 5500 or 5800 this may sound stupid but if it wont go past stock red line they didnt install download. this is from excperience
You and I both think alike ... I hadn't had a good chance to do that yet as I just crossed the 500 mile mark on my bike. Now unfortunately we had an inch of ice last night and the weather won't be good for another week or so. That is on my list of thing's to do ...

·
Registered
205 Posts
The dealer download only changes the open loop operation of the EFI and does not change the closed loop operation. Th eclosed loopcan adjust for the changes you made but it makes adjustment sto keep the air/feul mixture at the same factory/EPA mandated level. Thus the bike withyou mods should not run any leaner than it did before your changes but is still running very lean untill you get into the throttle into open loop mood.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a 2011 RGU, I had the dealer install the Stage1, V&H head pipes with Bassani Muffles. I have the Cat removed and my muffler on the right side has turned gold where it goes on the head pipe. I have never had any popping on decel but have had a problem with the engine pinging or what I thought to be engine knock. I asked the dealer to redo the mapping they did when they installed the Stage 1. I was told they cannot change the ECM and that it was set from the factory. They said the only way to make adjustments to timing or fuel was by installing the SE Super Tuner Pro. So they gave me 20% off and I had it done today. I road it about 60 miles and it runs really good and is very responsive but not sure if my engine pinging is gone. It seems better but not sure if it is gone. The engine does seem to be quieter in the top end but I'm not total sold on the Super Tuner, It might have just been a waste of money. Time will tell!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts

Golds going up by the day you know! lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts