Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a torque wrench to help me keep my new orange beauty in good shape, and to check up on the dealer's work. I will not be doing major engine work, etc.
Question is: for most tasks on the bike, is a 10-100 ft/lb, 3/8" drive wrench the right range? I realize there will likely be some big jobs (and perhaps some small ones) that will be outside the range, but I cannot justify having more than one torque wrench, so wanted to know if this was the right jack of all trades?
Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I've also wondered what would be the best all around torque wrench. Hopefully someone has the answer. What part of NC are you in. I'm in Farmville myself. A hour east of Raleigh.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
make sure you pay attention and don't use foot pounds when it calls for inch pounds. i agree that a 10-75 ft. lbs. 3/8 in drive is good all around but you should also consider getting one in inch pounds as well.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yep, there's quite a few specs given in inch/lbs. Ideally, you'd have both ft/lbs and in/lbs wrenches but it's easy to convert ft pounds into inch pounds (and visa versa). If you can only swing one, I'd go with a ft/lbs. wrench. (that's all I have)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have 3 torque wrenches in my tool arsenal, 1/4" inch pound up to 160 made by Proto, 3/8" inch pound Craftsman like the on pissed suggested, 1/2" inch pound Central Tool that I use mostly on autos & trucks. I usually have the Snap-On truck check them out once a year to make sure that are accurate. Keep them clean and in a case and always back them off to the lowest setting or to stop, don't drop them and don't use them as a breaker bar....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GReat info everyone. Sounds like the best single tool is the 10-100. Also good reminder about the in/lb conversion. I think even my puny brain can do that math (although metric base-10 is still easier)!
I am around Chapel Hill. We should have a local Roadie meet-up sometime (after I actually pick up my bike...:rolleyes:)
Ian

·
Registered
144 Posts
Craftsman has digitals now that you can switch between the three inlbs ft lbs and Nm. I love mine. I figured I would post to keep it NC strong.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Eastern NC is getting pretty strong around here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts