Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the trip and pictures, here is a just a little fill in.... 3 1/2 years ago my father passed away in a car accident. He was hit by a drunk driver. Now let me go and say that while I forgive the guy that was driving I can't forgive the act of drunk driving. Anyways, I'm getting off track. I was hesitant to go b/c I didn't know what to expect knowing my father wasn't there anymore.

All I can say is I'm very glad I went and though I made new memories now, It still fills a bit empty without him. All my summers were spent with him growing up, so naturally, there is a special place in my heart for this hot, flat, uneventful land, but something about it I just love.

Anyways on to pictures and trip. There is obviously more trip than pictures, but I know we all like to see something.

Started with breakfast in Rosenberg, TX at Bob's Taco Station. They have been on Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives with Guy Fieri. Very good breakfast.

After eating there, we tracked on down to Victoira HD.

wife digging for something

Us. This HD place is small place, but I have never seen a more organized place by using up all the space available for merchandise. I frankly like buying and looking. I've seen dealers 5 times larger and have way less than this place. Additionally, I bought some long reach highway mounts and pegs and the guy there was nice enough to let me borrow some tools to install so I can get along on my trip. Highway pegs to the rescue, is indeed an understatement.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After that we took of to Goliad to visit El Presidio la Bahia. (the fort in the Battle of Goliad). Very sad account as all the men in the fort were killed by the Mexican army. General Fannin being the last person to be killed after his men asked as a last request not to be shot in the face, his possesions be taken to his family, and given a proper burial.....was shot in the face, his possessions spread amongst the soldiers, and burned like a felon. The fort nontheless was very impressive and is the oldest west of the Missisippi

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This flag here was flown to give the Mexican goverment a notice for those Mexicans and early Texans that joined forces to let them know that they would rather cut there right arms off than to serve a dictatorship.

More well know flags

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This plant, with that tall stock coming out of it is it's last hoorah, before it dies

Was hot and super sunny while riding. Kept our faces cover as to not look like raccoons!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we finally made it to Harlingen, TX and hit rain for most part of the day. We decided to just chillax under the cover and wait out the rain. We stuck around there for about 45 minutes to an hour, while there we listened to music, ate some homemade pumpkin empanadas (stuffed pies basically, for you white guys ;) )

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hadn't been back since my father's funeral and didn't get a chance to see his headstone until this past weekend. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I thought it was a nice headstone. My father will live on in me for as long as I'm here

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Overall it was a great weekend. I got to see one of my brother's and Sister that I had not seen a few years and my nephew that just got back from basic training as a Marine. He looked great in that uniform.

I would do it all over again and I got to come back home to this guy. My buddy.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
great pics Paul

·
Registered
189 Posts
Paul, I really enjoyed your story and photos. Your photos are very interesting and creative and your lady is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I live in Corpus Christi, if you are this way again give a shout out. Take care.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. Now that I've been home a few days, I do miss being over there. Thanks for reading and looking pics. Roadglider, I'll def keep you in mind next time around the area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts