Road Glide banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,072 Posts
A very good statesman who represented his race and all Americans in a very positive manner. RIP Representative Lewis.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
i thought it was pretty cool that they carried his coffin over the selma bridge via horse drawn carriage. that's a very fitting tribute.
And at the same time disturbing that the bridge is (still) named for a grand wizard of the KKK

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
And at the same time disturbing that the bridge is (still) named for a grand wizard of the KKK
So, let's change the name so no one ever thinks about Edmund Pettus and the history that occurred there. We can just forget it ever happened which is the best way for history to repeat itself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not know that sir; thanks for the history lesson! (sincere thanks). My step-daughter met Representative Lewis in '05 and said he was one of the most pleasant, gracious men she ever met. She had just started college and majored in African-American studies and Social Policy. She's gone on to get double masters and is working on her doctorate at the University of Illinois; Chicago. Works for the Chicago public school system as a counselor. Very proud of her as her goal is to move into the Federal level of Govt. to help make policy changes to the American public school system by addressing the inequality that exists throughout. She also has a private non-profit focused on helping underprivileged children understand how to become the "best" citizen, individual, teacher, nurse, etc. that they can be!! She is so much like her mother that I call her Phaedra jr. all the time.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, let's change the name so no one ever thinks about Edmund Pettus and the history that occurred there. We can just forget it ever happened which is the best way for history to repeat itself. :rolleyes:
Or, better yet; let's teach "REAL AMERICAN HISTORY" in our public school system instead of "white-washing" it. I learned "so little" about slavery in the pbs; maybe I wasn't paying attention. I'll admit, school was hard for me, it bored me to death. Don't think every child learns well in the "exact same way"! Part of the change that needs to occur; IMH(umle)O! I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I think there's plenty of history on this person, no need to glorify him by naming a bridge after him. More appropriate to name it after John Lewis.

·
Administrator
10,479 Posts
I grew up about twenty five minutes from Selma , Selma to Montgomery march passed within five miles of my house , our town was/is the county seat with the courthouse and all , and I remember many times weekends were full of people from out of state there .. Lots of bad $%&* went on and lots of killings ..

Re naming things doesn't change the history .. Montgomery has three high schools named after people in the confederacy , just a few days ago they decided that they are going to try and change the school names ..

JtB

·
Registered
247 Posts
RIP John Lewis...Yes we should destroy all history and anything that reflects those times. We should hold all people from 200-400 years ago to today's standards.... I mean we can't possibly make the same mistakes or repeat history if we destroy and remove any semblance of its historical, existence or reminders (good and bad) right?? I think I am going to go to my Grandmothers headstone and scribble somebody else's name on it. That will show her for calling me worthless piece of shit like my father and grandfather and telling me I would never amount to anything. Instead of standing there proudly and letting her now how I achieved what she said I couldn't and using it to teach others who are told similar and using my example. Nope, gonna remove her from my history. Let them learn on their own. Sorry....rough day. Didn't mean to turn into political rant or hijack remembrance of JL, just tired of the stupid shit I see these days. We can get this shit anywhere else. F**& It, let's go ride....:cool::D

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
RIP John Lewis...Yes we should destroy all history and anything that reflects those times. We should hold all people from 200-400 years ago to today's standards.... I mean we can't possibly make the same mistakes or repeat history if we destroy and remove any semblance of its historical, existence or reminders (good and bad) right?? I think I am going to go to my Grandmothers headstone and scribble somebody else's name on it. That will show her for calling me worthless piece of shit like my father and grandfather and telling me I would never amount to anything. Instead of standing there proudly and letting her now how I achieved what she said I couldn't and using it to teach others who are told similar and using my example. Nope, gonna remove her from my history. Let them learn on their own. Sorry....rough day. Didn't mean to turn into political rant or hijack remembrance of JL, just tired of the stupid shit I see these days. We can get this shit anywhere else. F**& It, let's go ride....:cool::D
When did I say we should destroy all history? I believe I'm advocating putting this person in proper historical perspective, and righting wrongs.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Or, better yet; let's teach "REAL AMERICAN HISTORY" in our public school system instead of "white-washing" it. I learned "so little" about slavery in the pbs; maybe I wasn't paying attention. I'll admit, school was hard for me, it bored me to death. Don't think every child learns well in the "exact same way"! Part of the change that needs to occur; IMH(umle)O! I'll shut up now.
I learned about notable black persons by reading their biographies while in grammar school. I also learned alot about slavery which has occured in every culture since the beginning of time and still occurs in many locations around the world.

What many don't know is that the KKK was not only against black people. They were against anyone who was not like them. Catholics, Italians, etc were persecuted by the KKK.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
When did I say we should destroy all history? I believe I'm advocating putting this person in proper historical perspective, and righting wrongs.
Removing the name from the bridge does not put the person in proper historical perspective. Adding a plaque that spells out whatever he had proven to have done that was illegal or immoral would be the better thing to do. Just like the Holocaust Memorial is not there to celebrate the Holocaust.

Maybe one day the press will leave out the word black, white, asian, brown, etc when describing someone. Won't that be a glorious day when we only see someone based on their character instead of the color of their skin.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Removing the name from the bridge does not put the person in proper historical perspective. Adding a plaque that spells out whatever he had proven to have done that was illegal or immoral would be the better thing to do. Just like the Holocaust Memorial is not there to celebrate the Holocaust.

Maybe one day the press will leave out the word black, white, asian, brown, etc when describing someone. Won't that be a glorious day when we only see someone based on their character instead of the color of their skin.
Should we honor a grand wizard of the KKK? A traitor who faught against the United States? Do you have any idea what kind of horrific crimes the the KKK perpetrated in Alabama?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I think there's plenty of history on this person, no need to glorify him by naming a bridge after him. More appropriate to name it after John Lewis.
Have you ever been to Selma? Have your read all the plaques and memorials that are there? Do you even care?

Sure, rename the bridge. Doesn't change anything other than costing the taxpayers money. How many people even knew the bridge was named after a southern man with that history? Changing the name of bridges doesn't change what is in people's hearts. If you are a white liberal on a trip, then I suggest you go visit Chicago on a weekend and stand with those living in poverty. I'm sure they would be glad for your help. Why is it that no liberals care about what is going on in Chicago?
Should we honor a grand wizard of the KKK? Do you have any idea what kind of horrific crimes the the KKK perpetrated in Alabama?
No, we should NOT honor a grand wizard of the KKK. Should we erase his history? Or should we put up a plaque detailing his atrocities so we will never forget.

Should we never talk about what is going on in Chicago? Why is it that liberals are never willing to discuss what is going on in Chicago?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Ill have to somewhat disagree with you @twowheeladdict on the label or description of white, black, asian norwegian etc. Why is it wrong to be any of the above. Im a proud white male. No shame in the blood that flows through these veins. People should be able to embrace who they are. We are all different and the same all at the same time. Its not a big deal except we have made it one. I can see the differences in genetics from one region vs another. Visited a buddy around the mid Iowa area a couple of years ago. It was obvious they were of Dutch descent. I say embrace your roots and fuck whoever doesn't like it. Thats just me. I dont understand why everyone is so damn sensitive and fragile. Nothing wrong with having different backgrounds or origins. Just be you and live life...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.