Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Road Glide Ultra and thinking of adding the Rivera Primo Brute IV Extreme Belt.

Does anyone have the Rivera Primo Brute IV Extreme Belt on their Road Glide? I've been thinking of adding this for a couple of reasons:
1. tired of the primary tensioner issue
2. easy way to improve power transfer
3. no more primary oil changes
4. looks good

I commute every day, rain or shine and all year round. I'm in northern Virginia so it can get down right cold (0 degrees) and I still ride. My commute is about 120 miles round trip.

Based on this information, I'm interested in hearing what you think recommend or not recommend and why. I'm more interested in those that have installed and used belt drives, but all responses welcome that helps me evaluate the pros and cons of making this decision.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I always loved the sound of a open belt. Turns my head every time. But sorry I don't have any knowledge or experience with them. Looking forward to the replies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Only 2 times a had drive-line failures. Was belts. One primary one secondary. They look cool. Sound cool. But suck when they go. And they do. Maybe technology has made them better. Good luck. Will yoiu be running open or closed?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RFG7680: thanks for that info. I'm looking at the open belt drive 2". Looks like S&S is using the same open belt for their Dragon 143 Road Glide and JP Cycles used on their 2014 Street Glide.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Primary belts can work fine. But they need to be serviced regularly. You see a lot of scooters with open belt drives that have a spare belt wire tied on. I think a better way of doing it would be to just swap it out before it goes bad. Every 10K miles, or half of what the first failure is.

Now with that said, some scooters run through comps like they are disposable. And some don't.

Next time you have it open, check the sprocket shaft run out. If its up around .009 or .010, that's why its eating comps. And putting a belt on that is going to sound like hell. Not to mention, also have shorter than intended life.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thermodyne: No comp issue, but good information. Didn't think about checking run out for the belt drive, but will now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts