Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 2016 Road Glide for a 2017 Road Glide Special. I took a demo at Bike Week and just had to do it!

I have seen some conflicting information on this. I saw a few posts from about a year ago where people were able to swap 13" and 14" bars onto a 2017 without cable extensions. But the dealer told me HD uses a new supplier for cables on the newer bikes so I can't fit more than a 9" ape on the new bike.

Can anyone confirm either way so I can order another set of Road 6 13" bars! I really miss the apes!

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
All I have to say is dealers lie a lot. I only went with 10" rise on my 17, but I could see easily going with 13 or 14, there's plenty of wire left. You may have to rearrange your clutch and brake cables, but there is slack there also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and bought the 13" bars and they seem to fit!

Problem is I was a little hasty taking the stock bars off and I ended up with one wire coming off the throttle side that I cannot find a partner for. It has one black wire and one white wire on it.

There is another unused connection behind the speedometer with one purple wire and one black wire, but there is a cap on it. If I remove the cap, the wire will connect. The problem is I did not put the cap on so it doesn't make sense.

Anyone have an idea on where I went wrong?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have done bars on a few 09-13 RG's and from memory I think there was an extra wire on the throttle side that was pre-wired for handwarmer or something. I don't have my drawings or shop manual handy right now though. I do remember just cutting off an extra wire to make the wire bundle easier to wire internally in my apes. I will look at my diagram when I get home, bit hopefully an expert will chime in first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking that might be an option. It just confused me that the white and black wire is part of the bundle of wires coming from the throttle. It makes sense for the one behind the speedometer.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Problem is I was a little hasty taking the stock bars off and I ended up with one wire coming off the throttle side that I cannot find a partner for. It has one black wire and one white wire on it.

There is another unused connection behind the speedometer with one purple wire and one black wire, but there is a cap on it. If I remove the cap, the wire will connect. The problem is I did not put the cap on so it doesn't make sense.

The wires you are seeing is for heated grips, one for throttle by wire grip side and the other is left grip..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E94qcAJr4Jk

·
Registered
93 Posts

The wires you are seeing is for heated grips, one for throttle by wire grip side and the other is left grip. The you tube explains what the wires are for, hope this helps..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E94qcAJr4Jk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put it back together and everything works so it's all good!

Now the check engine light is on though, I can't catch a break with this stuff!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The throttle by wire connector is very fragile. Not sure if it would throw a code, but maybe. I ended up cutting out the connector and soldering it together.

Did you wires the bars internally or externally?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Internally. It seems the engine light is a common occurrence when installing bars. I'll take a look at it when I get home and remove the green connector if I need to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I didn't need to tear it all down again after all! After work I went to take another look at it and all the hand controls worked and everything functioned as it should. I tried to rev the throttle and the grip just spun freely! I loosened the bolts and tightened everything up and it all works as it should again.

I found this website and learned how to locate and clear codes

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-harley-trouble-codes.html

P2122 showed up, which makes sense, I cleared it and it hasn't come back yet. Time to get out and ride! Thanks to all who helped me out!

·
Registered
93 Posts
So I didn't need to tear it all down again after all! After work I went to take another look at it and all the hand controls worked and everything functioned as it should. I tried to rev the throttle and the grip just spun freely! I loosened the bolts and tightened everything up and it all works as it should again.

I found this website and learned how to locate and clear codes

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-harley-trouble-codes.html

P2122 showed up, which makes sense, I cleared it and it hasn't come back yet. Time to get out and ride! Thanks to all who helped me out!
Thanks, for posting the website on how locate and clear codes...
Got love this site...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts