Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I purchased a new 2020 road glide limited on Sept 15. The dealer has told me today that the color I picked with the blacked option is not available. I wanted the river rock grey and vivid black color with the blacked out motor and so on. You can get a Ultra limited done in that color and blacked out but not the Road glide. You can get the Road Glide in the color I wanted but only in chrome. Does this make any sense? I am told you cannot special order anything different than what Harley puts out for the year. Is this crazy? I just want the bike of my choice and not have to put up with this B.S. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Aleck

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,062 Posts
If you go to HD's website it clearly shows that the RG Limited is available in 12 different color combinations. The 7th one shown is River Rock Grey and it is shown with the "blacked out" package so it appears that your dealer isn't being honest with you, unless he knows something the factory doesn't. Show them that and see what they have to say. Good luck. I'd check with another dealer to see what they say.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
If you go to HD's website it clearly shows that the RG Limited is available in 12 different color combinations. The 7th one shown is River Rock Grey and it is shown with the "blacked out" package so it appears that your dealer isn't being honest with you, unless he knows something the factory doesn't. Show them that and see what they have to say. Good luck. I'd check with another dealer to see what they say.
I agree, dealer not working hard enough for you, hopefully you can find another dealer. There are a lot of color combos, and some are pretty expensive, all these factors mean that given the number of bikes they are down to making these days some might be difficult to find.

My dealer had to get my bike from a dealer 3 states away. When I was looking to buy in late August, the first dealer said they had 2, both spoken for, and they wouldn't be getting another one in that color combo until late October (clearly trying to justify an unacceptable price), and never offered to do a dealer trade to get me one. So I went to another dealer who bent over backward to get it, and at $2K less OTD than the first dealer's best offer ($3K better than their first offer)

You just need to find a dealer that wants to sell you a bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
This is the color combination I would like but Harley doesnt make a blacked out version on the Road glide limited. You can only get the chrome with this color. I dont know why I cant order it like you could if I was buying a car.
Likely because HD's volumes are so much lower than an auto company. Difficult for them to accommodate custom orders when they have a hard enough time selling the bikes they make.

They DO make a river rock grey with black option, just no vivid black accents. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/road-glide-limited.html

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
HD charges $1,900 for the backed out version. I know you would prefer to buy it already blacked you but you can take that $1,900 and do it yourself if you are set on that two-tone color.

·
8,062 Posts
This is the color combination I would like but Harley doesnt make a blacked out version on the Road glide limited. You can only get the chrome with this color. I dont know why I cant order it like you could if I was buying a car.

https://www.mackieharleydavidson.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=7825773&p=2&s=Year&d=D&fr=xNewInventory

With the Ultra Limited you can get the blacked out option which I prefer.

https://petersonsharley.com/inventory?condition=new

thanks

Now that's a 'horse' of a different color. You said "River Rock Gray" with blacked out engine, not "River Rock Gray and Vivid Black" with blacked out engine ... and "No" they don't show that two tone color available with blacked out option. If you really must have that combination you have two choices. You can buy a Road Glide Special in River Rock Gray (comes with black out treatment) and have a local painter add the Vivid Black paint which isn't very extensive and then add the Tour Pack , seat, etc. to sort of make a "Limited"; or you can always buy the "Limited" and strip off a bunch of chrome stuff and have it powder coated black. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I’m surprised the dealer didn’t say, “yes sir,” order the bike and then buy all the black out parts, have a tech spend 6 hours to swap everything over and charge you accordingly for the parts and work...jacking the bike up by $3k.....oh wait, they already do that and put them on the floor as dealer specials.

·
8,062 Posts
I'm not in the market for a new bike so haven't paid attention to the 'fine print' regarding colors and black out treatment. I'm a little confused about this statement from their website under the RG Limited:

"New Black Finish Option

Achieve a bold, distinctive look with the new Black Finish package now available as a custom factory option."

On the surface it appears that ALL the "Limiteds" are available with the blacked out option for an additional cost. If that's true than your dealer needs to order a River Rock Gray and Vivid Black bike with that package and you'll have what you want.

Reactions: Aleck and Taz_FL

·
Registered
376 Posts
Its a compromise. You need to decide if the river rock grey with black color is more important than the blacked out parts. You can only get it one way or the other. I wanted a 114 RG special but didn't want blacked out parts. So no RG special for me. I ended up with a STD 107 RG. The chrome was more important to me than the 114 and extended bags. Its a shame you can't get it like burger king, and have it your way. But its Harleys way or the hiway.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There are a few ways you can go about this, get a Black Finish River Rock Limited and have it painted, Get the River Rock/Vivid Black and swap all the chrome, or try and get the dealer to swap tins. None of these are cheap options.

I'd be really surprised if you could swap all the chrome and come in under $1900 unless you were willing to do the work yourself and you had all the OE parts (that can be)powder coated.

And OP, why are you surprised you can't special order something that is not an available option?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Not all Limiteds come with the black finish option. The “Specs and Pricing” is misleading to a certain degree. If you go to the “Explore Paint in 360” you will see which colors come with the Black finish and which ones do not.

Colors:
└ Chrome Finish: Vivid Black, Midnight Blue, River Rock Gray/Vivid Black, Silver Pine/Spruce, Stiletto Red, Tahitian Teal
└ Black Finish: Vivid Black, River Rock Gray, Barracuda Silver Denim/Black Denim, Billiard Red/Vivid Black, Scorched Orange/Silver Flux, Zephyr Blue/Black Sunglo

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/harley-davidson/2020-harley-davidson-road-glide-limited-ar186493.html
scroll half way down if you click on the above link to the "2020 HARLEY-DAVIDSON ROAD GLIDE LIMITED PRICING” section

Reactions: Aleck

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Some dealers will do tin swaps to get the color combos wanted by a customer. My local dealer said they’ll do it sometimes to get a deal done and charge about 6 hours labor on top of the bike sales price.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sounds like dealer not wanting a sale to me. MY chrome 2019 FLTRX 107 was not officially available in Australia, only the blacked-out 114 FLTRXS is/was. But I didn't want blacked out, I didn't really want the stretched bags, I didn't care about 7 cubic inches as I was getting a Stage 2 kit anyway, and I DID want the kinetic green custom paint option only available on the FLTRX.

So I told the best dealer for hundreds of miles around: ''You confirm you can get me a kinetic green FLTRX and you got a sale.''

They arranged it via the H-D distributor down here talking to Milwaukee. It was built about 3 weeks after I paid the deposit when they told me they could get it done. I have the factory build/specifications sheet to prove it. It was the 230th bike on the line on December 12 last year. ONE FLTRX with custom paint option specially complied for Australia for one customer in Australia.

That's customer service and getting a sale!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts