Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to turn my roadglide ultra from touring to cool need help where to get a detachable tour pack set up with out spending tons from harley

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I'm doing the same thing now. I have been buying the parts from forum members and eBay. Using in fairing antennas, cutting speaker and light wires. Going to use bosh connectors for them to make very quick to transform. Using softbrake license plate bracket. With new J&M antennas and everything else used spent around $400

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
656 Posts
road glide tour pack mounts

I have the tp mount,fender mount&the 4 hole strut required to change over,still need license mount which is on ebay for under 50.00-not going to go detachable,never ever remove.will sell 300.00 plus shipping--diesel5

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
This Curved Plate does not have the License Plate Light. It is for use on the Turn Signal Bar that is used on the ‘10-’13 Street Glides (except '10-'12 FLHXSE) & Road Glide Customs (except '12-'13 FLTRXSE). Not the Ultra. They already have the light under it to light the plate. It bolts to the bar using existing holes not found on the Ultra Bullet Turn Signal Bar.

·
Registered
656 Posts
tour pack mount

the 4 hole fender mount is what is in hd kit for change over.the tail lite piece is available for about 35.00.if you want to pay hd for the fender struts it is about 150.00i am sur hd designed the 2 hole vs 4 hole for parts sales

·
Registered
909 Posts
i justed did mine i went looking around all i was going to save was 100 so what i did was waited until they had a sale at my local dealer which was 30% off so i bought my kit and got a 20% off my fm and cb kit so it cost me with tax just under 600 out the door im not saying u cant get it cheaper by pieacing it out just looking for everything and some people want almost full price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Strut covers question

Hey all,

Been searching the threads and don't see an answer to this question. Are the strut covers absolutely necessary? It looks to me like the 4 point docking brackets have posts on the back side of them. Is the strut cover just a dress item? I want to go black anyway, so it's not like they're gonna stand out or anything. It doesn't appear they're structural, but want to know for sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hey all,

Been searching the threads and don't see an answer to this question. Are the strut covers absolutely necessary? It looks to me like the 4 point docking brackets have posts on the back side of them. Is the strut cover just a dress item? I want to go black anyway, so it's not like they're gonna stand out or anything. It doesn't appear they're structural, but want to know for sure.

Thanks.
The covers are not structural but will look like crap MHO without them. There are black powder coated on eBay for good prices.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
The RGC/SG strut covers have an extra hole. For what you can get them on ebay for why would you not put strut covers on?:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive been looking at this ever since I crossed over to the "shark-side" and have been trying to put it together with cost in mind....from what i can see, i think the new strut covers ARE required, as they are drilled to accept the 4pt docking hardware (those back posts you mention)..the stock covers aren't drilled and wont accept them...plus they have the cuts for the TP struts no longer used ...harley part #53246 has the covers..i looked at buying the TP rack seperately and the 4pt dock seperately - wont cut it. And harley really doesnt make that clear....And you'd still need to solve the license plate dilemma. Plus dont forget the wiring issues too...

heres a link to the conversion done on an '11 FLTRU by Baggers mag i came across in my research....good pictorial with part numbers including the wiring kit needed....good luck!

http://www.baggersmag.com/tech/1104_hrbp_hd_detachable_tour_pak_rack/viewall.html

·
Registered
967 Posts
Those license plate brackets above tail lt plane ugly. Baggersmag kit just like HD kit.
Got to be a better choice for mounting the license plate, like older models Kuryakyn. Kury part #3162 may fit give then a call
License Plt1.jpg License Plt2.jpg
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/655/Curved-License-Plate-Frame
For the wiring I used OEM molex style many pin configuration to chose from as needed.
http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.com/products/electrical_connectors.html#top
Plugs sales on many other websites. Google it.
As for the antenna replace it with in fairing for cleaner look.
Many choices on ebay for quick detach two up and docking... be aware most are after market, just saying...
May spend little extra for cleaner look and style. After all that's why we ride HD's option options and choices.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Vexing subject for sure! It snows in the winter here and I enjoy the winter short hauls with a solo seat and no TP.

I started with the HD detachable TP kit. Then got a kit from HD to relocate CB and AM/FM antennas down low on each side of the fender. That kit was crap and I ended up making my own brackets. Without a base plane, range on the CB (group rides) sucked. Then I went to J&M hide-away antennas (not good range but out of sight)

The HD solution to relocating the LP sucks. It's like a meat cleaver sticking up there. Some options... HD Street Glide light bar and LP parts ($), Yaffe Stealth 3 w/bag lights (way cool but $), laydowd LPs (agreed-ugly) and other mods on this site that look good. I don't think the kuryakyn curved LP w/light bar works on the newer RGs with the wide fender.

Finally, I went with a universal Kuryakyn curved LED LP frame. Had to drill 3 holes in the fender and got 12v from a spare circuit inside the taillight housing for an aux fender tip light. The Dennis Kirk # is 49-8559. ~ $100. I put a sticker over the tag light window on the stock taillight.

Now I keep the short antennas on the TP and just do the TP switch in spring and fall. Probably many better set-ups, but I got tired of thinking about all the possibilities. Hope this helps, pic included, 2011 RGU.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Many choices on ebay for quick detach two up and docking... be aware most are after market, just saying...
Yup... I got a set (docking station) for my 12 on ebay thinking they were OEM... When they came in a non-HD box I thought RUT RO.... Put them on anyway, they did not fit the OEM bracket on the TP perfectly, had some play, lived with it for a while, then put on OEM ones. Saving the aftermarket ones to make a storage rack for the TP in my toy hauler.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I can't help you out. I had the dealer throw the HD kit and install in as part of my deal. That and a Daymaker headlight. Took me most of the day but they finally gave me everything I wanted. I would not do it half-ass. Get all of the kit pieces and do it yourself. Its not hard. Contact PCpain. I got great prices from him on my last set of parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts