Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the very first year of the "Road Glide". I own a 1980 Tour Glide (Shovel) and have enjoyed it immensely. It's rolling up on 50K to which I've put 20k on over the last 3 summers. I visited the Black Hills rally a few weeks back after running it out through WY and MT over the Beartooth pass and the Bighorns claiming almost 3000 miles pulling a trailer and an additional 500 this weekend. The more miles I'm putting on, the more miles I want to put on and my ol' beast does well, but I'd like to update a few things which for creature features is nearly impossible on this one besides knowing that I'll have to deal with my chain (enclosed) and a few other items mechanically. So...
I'm thinking of picking up a Road Glide. I've read a bit about them and seems that for what I want the 2011 thru 2013 models are what I should be looking at (Ultras). Besides my wife thinks I need something that was made THIS century as she puts it. So...
While I know this opens a can of worms; as far a 2000 and up RGUs am I correct in thinking with the upgrades done in the 11-13s that those are what I should be looking at or another model version? Good and bad on the 11-13s? I think I've reviewed the good, but what should be watched for if I'm looking at them obviously used? How long should I expect one of the new engines to last before rebuild?

Thanks in advance.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,967 Posts
...... 1st things 1st ...... do NOT let go of the '80.
.... for your next Road Glide, do go '11-'13
..... they've got the upgraded frame, ABS brakes, 6 gal tank & all the comforts your S.O. could appreciate.
......... lots of parts available for the later model RGs also, so when the time comes to tinker & modify, you don't need to look too far.
.... but whatever you do, keep the '80 ... operational Shovel TGs aren't around every corner ya know :)

·
Administrator
13,726 Posts
Tour Glides rock , I wish I still had either one of mine , a late 84 with EVO top and bottom and an 88 ..

Enclosed chain was the best ..

FWIW there were 16 made in 1979 ..

Definitely 09 and up , and if you want the Ultra , yep '11-'13 ..

A well cared for TC should easily approach 100k with only minor issues ..

My riding budd ( retired ) put 125k on one with only a couple visits to the dealer for minor stuff .

JtB

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. The Tour Glide is a great bike and it's spoiled me for sure. There are many new bikes but few that will live up to what I already have. I just had the top end rebuilt at 42K.. lack of proper maintenance on the original owner's part I'm sure.. One of the issues is that I can't afford two bikes, so I'd have to trade in the '80 and that's where the rub lies. I want to be certain that I get ahold of a bike that is worthy of a replacement. It definitely draws attention when you show up to places; I dropped into a Harley dealership and the mechanics were outside when I pulled up.. one of them said "nobody rides those anymore" (referring to the shovel).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you MUST sell it I would suggest selling it here as opposed to trading it in. Dealer will give you nothing for it, here you can get fair value and know that it will be loved and cared for. That said, I would still try to find a way to keep em both!

·
Registered
654 Posts
IMHO. I have an 06. I wanted a pre 96 inch motor because of heat issues. The bigger the motor is the more heat is produced. My 95" definitely runs cooler than the newer motors. Also the 09 and newer motors had a cat in the head pipe, that causes much of the heat, which is apparently easy to fix. I have tested the 96 inch motors and the 103 motors up to 2012 and they do put out more heat. That being said, I have recently test road a 2014 103 and a 2015 103. I think they are a little cooler than the earlier 103 and 96 motors. I would recommend you do some test rides, gives you some insight on what how the model rides and it makes for a fun day. As a matter of record, I love the new Rushmore motors and the 2015 Road Glides. If was ready to make another purchase I would give serious consideration to a 2015 Road Glide. Just MHO.

·
Administrator
13,726 Posts
If it were me , I would keep the Shovel .. I wane nostalgic and have said many times here , I'm not beyond getting rid of my '11 and getting an EVO Tour Glide ..

No its not the newest or greatest and no it wont give you 100,000 pretty trouble free miles .. there is something to be said for a carb and no radio ..

The one nice thing about the new framed bikes is , you get almost 25000 miles out of the tires . Best ever I got with the 491s was 13000 , and half of that was with a flat spot in the middle ..

The enclosed chain should be pretty much trouble free , my 84 had over 100,000 on the original chain and sprockets .. Be careful changing the rear tire , if you over torque the axle the chain guard seals will start leaking ...

JtB

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I too love the old(er) stuff. I have a '65 Econoline Pickup and my getaround truck is a 96 that I rebuilt from the ground up. The TC and I have had our bouts but it's never let me down, always been able to get home no matter what. I can keep up with the new bikes unless it's super slab or flat out running. Give me tight corners, mountain passes or canyons and I'll generally give better than I get. She's a runner boys.. Pulling the trailer between Sheridan and Gillette we missed the north 14 loop and most of the way I was running 95 plus with the trailer. I don't really "need" a newer bike, it's just that running the thing equates to wear and those wearing items are getting harder to find.
BTW, I have changed out the rear tire a time or two and have schooled the local shop how to do it.. I just know that at some point in time that whole drive line will have to be replaced and that rear sprocket combo is getting difficult to come by.
Granite Pass, WY

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,450 Posts
I went from a 1996 to my 2011. I loved the Evo engine and really miss that bike. The new bike is more comfortable and after a few months I feel connected to it and definitely feel like I can push it harder, but really miss how connected I felt to my old ride. And it wasn't even a shark but a batwing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.