Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Ultra
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any of you have ridden a Goldwing. Would you cross shop a Goldwing for a Road Glide? I stopped by a Honda dealer during lunch today and was chatting with the salesman (who immediately started bashing Harley). I told him I like knowing that there is a Harley dealer in damn near every zip code in America. It’s nice to know I can call for help if something goes wrong. He replied that Harley’s need that safety blanket.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
First off tell salesman to sell the goldwing not discount the Harley with his rumors.

Secondly while it wasn't a Honda Goldwing I had a very nice BMW. Fun to ride and great engineering. Bike had NO SOUL. Because I had Harley Davidson in the past this was noticed. Back on Harley Davidson and enjoying the comradery and have sold the BMW.

Third I have yet to see a Honda or any bike with a free lifetime warranty or no repair shop. And yes it is a great mindset that while on the road I can find a dealership very easily for tire repairs etc. The nearest BMW shop to me is 2.5 hours away.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I had a buddy that had one and used it for long distance riding, and a street glide for not as long distance riding. He thought the street glide was nice but didn't ride near as good as the goldwing.

Me, I have the look of it. So I would never try one. Nothing on them look cool. Guess the soul comment applies too. People don't walk past one and Glace back at it or ask the rider about it like a harley.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I've had this wing since new

It's an '86 and been a very reliable machine and ridden to lots of places. When I first started riding the RGU I noticed the technological differences and thought it strange that 30 years later Harley didn't have some of the things that I thought would have been on the bike. Four years later I like my RGU as much, to more, than the wing. Just shows you don't need a lot of things just for having them.

The biggest difference, is that the wing is like a sewing machine in the motor, but it doesn't have much torque. I will say the cornering clearance is better on the wing, but rider comfort is way better on the RGU.

They are different type of machines and I think anyone bad mouthing either ride has a problem. If every bike was just like another it'd be boring.

·
Super Moderator
13,062 Posts
I once thought about getting a wing as a second bike, they are nice. Then I figured I really wouldn’t ride it much and I’d rather have a second Road Glide. Now I’m thinking about getting a Road King also. I already have two Road Glides.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My father had a Gold Wing. I’ve tried them over the years. Besides the “No Soul” feeling, they made me feel I was sitting “On” the Wing. While any Harley I’ve ever rid makes me feel a part of the machine. 🏍💨🏍💨

Reactions: tphillips and vring

·
Registered
29 Posts
Years back when Harley-Davidson was coming out of its doldrums a local Gold Wing rider needed a lesson. Tired of his put-downs prompted a last reply. "You know, Doug, you're probably right about my Harley. I've had Gold Wings and even an Aspencade and they were excellent motorcycles. But, there's one thing I can do with my Harley that you Honda owners only wish you could do."
"Oh? What's that?"
"Sell it for more than I paid for it."
Thus ended that conversation and never talked with him again. No loss. He was much too important.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special FLTRXS
11 Posts
I've ridden a Honda Valkyrie Interstate, built on the old Goldwing 1500 platform for 20 years AND a 2010 Goldwing for 2-3 years when I lived in Florida. I now have a 2020 Road Glide Special. As mentioned previously both bikes (Road Glide and Goldwing) have their fans and detractors. From an in-seat comparison, I loved the Goldwing and rode it and the Valkyrie 1000s of miles cross country. Each bike has or had over 80k on the odometer and I STILL I have the valkyrie. Assuming you're talking about the Ultra vs the Goldwing, I'd choose the Goldwing for creature comforts and I think the wing is a bit more agile, but for aesthetics and the 'cool' factor, nothing beats a Harley. It all depends on what you value IN your bike, but since this IS a Road Glide board...:cool:

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
In 2010 I cross shopped the Honda Goldwing and the Vulcan Voyager.

The Goldwing was just very weird in the ergonomics for me. The engine is in the way so your feet are under you like a standard bike, but the seat begs you to sit straight up. My wife hated the huge passenger seat and felt like she was too far away from me and had her legs spayed open to get around the seat. It did not have good parking lot manners and the fueling was kind of abrupt.

Then we rode the Voyager and owned it for 60,000 miles until I traded for the 2016 RGU.

I do like the new redesigned Goldwing without the trunk. Kind of a sporty touring bike as opposed to a full touring or sport touring. I haven't ridden one yet because my touring by motorcycle days are behind me.

What I like about my Road Glide Special is that I can transform it into my summer local riding bike, to my winter and/or distance riding bike, even though distance is a relative term these days.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am 6’7” and simply can’t make a Goldwing fit. I do fit just right on my RG. It took some work to do so, but that is not even an option on the Honda.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Ultra
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am 6’7” and simply can’t make a Goldwing fit. I do fit just right on my RG. It took some work to do so, but that is not even an option on the Honda.
Off topic, but what did you have to do to get a good fit on the Road Glide?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maybe a seat, maybe a bar adjustment, that is all is needed to really get comfortable on the road glide.

I have respect for the old wings, they are top quality engineering and reliable no doubt.
But at the end of a long ride, it just will never come close to something more American made...its that simple.

I don't like china stuff, if its well made I don't like china stuff, if its not well made I don't like china stuff.

Just my two pennies worth.

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
146 Posts
Put almost 50k miles on an F6B. They are fantastic motorcycles, smooth, very linear torque curve, great lean angle. But my Road Glide is more fun. I smile more on the road glide, the torque curve is more fun and less locomotive like, the exhaust note is more appealing. I was never the guy to talk about a motorcycles "soul", but after coming to my Road Glide and having that direct comparison I get it now.

And as far as parts and service the HD has that hands down. Everything for the Honda is special order, big parts, little parts, nothing gets stocked. Lost 2 screws from the Road Glide, and the dealer had both in stock. Add ons that I've needed for the HD...in stock. No comparison.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,444 Posts
I once thought about getting a wing as a second bike, they are nice. Then I figured I really wouldn’t ride it much and I’d rather have a second Road Glide. Now I’m thinking about getting a Road King also. I already have two Road Glides.
Dave, what do you have, a 4 stall garage? I think you're adding another bike so you have an excuse to want to work anther year!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Put almost 50k miles on an F6B. They are fantastic motorcycles, smooth, very linear torque curve, great lean angle. But my Road Glide is more fun. I smile more on the road glide, the torque curve is more fun and less locomotive like, the exhaust note is more appealing. I was never the guy to talk about a motorcycles "soul", but after coming to my Road Glide and having that direct comparison I get it now.

[/QUOTE]

Coming from Yamaha to Harley to BMW back to Harley. I was talking to my wife and I could only describe why one over the other was the term "soul"

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Back in 2012 I traded my first Harley, an 07 Denim Blue Street Bob, for and 07 Denim Blue Street Glide. I wanted a tour bike and I loved the color. That SG turned out to be some kind of lemon or something. Always at the dealer for electrical problems. Went thru 3 stereos and wiring harnesses and what not. Then the crankshaft “spun” or whatever. Had to rebuild the engine. Anyway, I fought with the dealer and they told me if I wasn’t happy to go somewhere else. I went back to Honda. In 13 they did the F6B. Hands down the best performing/handling touring bike IMO. Like mentioned before though, no soul. I always wanted a Road Glide, so when they redesigned it in 15 I gave Harley another shot. I’ve been very happy with my 15 and 19 RG’s, but I do miss riding that wing. The power, performance, and handling is top notch. Also, everywhere I went the F6B would draw a crowd. Everyone loved it. It was pretty bad ass. Nobody looks twice at my RGU when I park it, but I feel a lot more pride when I ride it. 😎
ps. I don’t like the new wing. Too small and too sporty. I rode one and didn’t like it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great question,
I've owned HDs, and several series of Wings, except for the most current style. More recently had 2 years on a BMW K1600 B. Not a Wing, but the same type animal, maybe a bit sexier than the Wing. LOL
They're all gone now, back to my favorite HD, the Road Glide, and recently picked up a close-out '20.
Couldn't be happier and won't ever go back to Wings or K1600s, although they were all "nice" bikes.
Would take a long time to describe like/dislikes but no real soul vs the RG is on the list.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts