Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have owned a 5 Honda's, including a Goldwing 1200 and an 1800. Both were outstand rides. The down size is the suspension is just weak, ride pass a semi or a pot hole and you think of a after market fix. This can cost up to $3,500. The plus for the Goldwing the engine is bullet proof, audio sucks. I put 155,000 miles on the 03, sold it for a good price. The RG 2017 is turning 50,000 miles and enjoy the ride much better for long touring. The only thing that is missing the reverse feature with the Wing for parking on a incline. If that was available I would trade the 2017 for a new RG. Not interested in an after market add-on.

·
Registered
2020 RGL
379 Posts
Years ago I went for a test ride on a Gold Wing was ready to pull the trigger. took my wife to the dealer a couple days latter to do the paper work and get the bike. After she looked at the bike she told me you can get the bike but I won't ride on anything but a Harley. A few weeks later I picked up a new Road King True story. But I have ridden a few buddies Gold Wings over the years and I still think they are solid bikes.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
everyone stops to look an an H-D when did you turn around to look at a honda?
I look at EVERY motorcycle! I like them all.

What I care to own these days are bikes with exposed engines with air cooling fins (even if they have some hidden additional cooling) Easy to maintain, (Oil changes, valve clearance checks, air filter clean/replace, etc.) I have owned bikes that take two hours to get to an air cleaner, replace and put the bike back together. I have owned bikes where fairings have to be removed and a trough created to drain the oil into a pan instead of on the headers. I have owned bikes that took an entire weekend to adjust the valves. It looked like open heart surgery.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Years ago I went for a test ride on a Gold Wing was ready to pull the trigger. took my wife to the dealer a couple days latter to do the paper work and get the bike. After she looked at the bike she told me you can get the bike but I won't ride on anything but a Harley. A few weeks later I picked up a new Road King True story. But I have ridden a few buddies Gold Wings over the years and I still think they are solid bikes.
My wife drew the line at the Victory Vision LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've owned a mess of Harleys, and one 2006 Gold Wing 1800. They are all different. The GW was like a sport bike with big saddlebags. It would do curves at triple digits that I couldn't do at 90 with the 01 Road Glide I had at the time. Handling was superb for a 900 pound bike. That said, I just didn't like the ergonomics. Your feet are tucked back because of the wide GW engine, it felt so good to put my feet on the highway pegs when out on the road. On a Harley, you position your feet pretty much where you want them. You have options.

But its more than just the physical bike. When you own a Harley, you get about a million new friends, whether you want them or not. I found many of the crowd that were over 50 that rode the newer Gold Wings were snobby, stand-offish, and in some cases, just plain rude. Not so with HD riders. HD riders are out for the fun, riding or at a HD dealers event. It's a good time on your HD. The dealer network is hugely better than Honda. The GW is a pain to work on (except for the rear tire change). 4 hours to change an air filter element. I gave up the GW, even though I liked to ride it on the crooked roads.

azgrumbles, that F6B is a nice looking ride. I think I parked my GW in about the same spot 13-14 years ago. That is a super great riding experience in the Ouray - Million Dollar Highway area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ooh. Something relevant I can actually share: in 2016 I rode my brothers 2012 Wing some 2,800 miles cross country, as he moved and needed to bring a couple bikes back to his new residence. I took five days as I wanted to enjoy the trip, make a couple overnight stops, etc..

Here’s my thing... I want to love and respect the wing. But I have never been able to get comfortable. My hips kills me on that damn machine. Even if you figure out a highway peg situation , the motor has my legs splayed wide like in a gynecologist table. For lack of a better explanation, I feel cramped on that machine. I’m only six feet tall. So that shouldn’t be an issue. Smooth linear power from the gl1800 motor. Weight of the bike is tucked down very low.

For what seems like decades, Wing owners have complained of a lack of a 6th gear. I have no idea if they remedied that in this past generation. People swear by these machines, and I have to respect that.

As for my brother, he returned to HD with a 2020 RGS. He no longer believes there’s enough of a difference in power between the Wing and 114 M8 to warrant/justify the move. In his defense, he went from a TC88 before he made his original move to the Wing. I warn people to rent the machine for a weekend before making such a purchase. If you are like me, the standard/neutral riding position of the Wing may be something that is not sustainable after hour three in the saddle.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A good friend of mine bought a new Honda Gold Wing last year. He had owned a street glide before and a sportster for his wife. He was constantly complaining about the need to replace so much on the Harleys to make them into what he and his wife were comfortable with. He has done nothing to the Honda. He could not be happier. He is 5'10" and the Honda fits him perfectly. Well, I am 6'7" and could not ride that damn thing a mile. It took some work to made my Road Glide fit my crazy size, but that is not even an option on the Honda. He is happy and so am I. But, I know that I have more fun, more riding friends, and a better dealer than he does.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Ultra
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Very very different bikes.
honda is a great QUIET soft ride. Provides a super touring experience. Can’t say really anything bad about it.
harley can be modified every which way you can imagine and also offers an exceptional touring ride. Those who make fun of Harleys do so out of their own inferiority complex because put against a H-D they just dont offer the same experience.

everyone stops to look an an H-D when did you turn around to look at a honda?
I don't see myself ever switching to a Honda....I have way too much money invested in Harley T-Shirts, poker chips, leather jacks, boots, etc. to ever cross over to the dark (boring) side of motorcycles.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I made the mistake of trading in my 2011 RGU on a new Goldwing. Don't get me wrong, the wing was a very fine machine! It had good power, handled well, rides 2-up very well and had features that Harley has never produced. That being said, I regret the trade. The wing just has no soul (to me), and I quickly tired of it. There was just no passion, no drive to really ride it the way I did my Harley. When busting off my RGU, it was just music to my ears, the wing is a silent Cadillac. I found a 2016 RGU CVO with only 3,000 miles on it, and will hopefully be picking it up tomorrow (if this rain will ever go away). Really, really looking forward to being back on a Glide!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Rode a new one last year, they aren’t like they were a few years ago... felt like a sport bike... didn’t like it at all...

·
Registered
103 Posts
two entirely different experiences, one is not superior to the other... test ride both and decide for yourself, both are great

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
869 Posts
Different beasts. I’m sure I may have missed it on the mags, but where are the articles for the wing/HD comparo?
I have over 250k on the Honda ST11/1300.
longdistance high speed riding. 1k mile days without thinking about it out west. Never had an issue. They do run like sewing machines. But you get in tune with them. You can tell when they need an oil changed. When the oil is low, tires.... etc.. you feel everything in it.
Great machines. Like the wing, just a bigger version.
Now, I have about 98k on 3 different harleys. Only 3 there service warranty visits.... not bad.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I found a 2016 RGU CVO with only 3,000 miles on it, and will hopefully be picking it up tomorrow (if this rain will ever go away). Really, really looking forward to being back on a Glide!
I don't want to derail this thread . . .. but this kind of statement needs it's own thread the next day and at least one or two pics! ( . . . said the owner of a '15 of the same bike (y) )

ps - congrats if the deal went through

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
In Lines vs Twins - Beatles vs Stones - Pert vs Bonham......and so the world turns

Twins, Stones & Bonzo........not hate for the others....just no love either

·
Registered
2 Posts
We sold our 2013 RGU a little over a year ago thinking we were done with motorcycles. Last fall we started looking again and test rode the BMW 1600, Goldwing and the Roadglide Limited. The performance of the BMW and the Goldwing was great but we are long distance riders that spend long days on the bike. The comfort level on the 2020 Road Glide was the deciding factor.

·
Registered
2020 RGL
379 Posts
We sold our 2013 RGU a little over a year ago thinking we were done with motorcycles. Last fall we started looking again and test rode the BMW 1600, Goldwing and the Roadglide Limited. The performance of the BMW and the Goldwing was great but we are long distance riders that spend long days on the bike. The comfort level on the 2020 Road Glide was the deciding factor.
Well put a picture of that bad boy up in the new member section for all to see. Plus we can all welcome you to the Tank.
Congrats!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a great comparison, also the BMW 1600B. I have to say my 2020 Road Glide Limited is the finest machine I have owned to date. I don't want to throw a wrench into the mix but here is another ride I use. 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring. Very smooth, not to wide and tons of torque, not my go to for long distance but 3-400 miles a day is easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was a winger for 20 years ,great bikes .All ways wanted a Harley ,so 2019 got a dyna switchback .Then last year found a low mile 2011 RGU and love this bike . They are two differant types of rides . Did I say I love my RGU . HEHEHE

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
After I sold my SG, bought an 08 GW....in red of course.......long story short.....was so smooth it removed me from the motorcycle experience.....trader her for the 11 RGU and the rest is history......

61 - 80 of 115 Posts