Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
Current, Yamaha FJR, going to order a Road Glide
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to order a 2023 Road Glide very soon. I was telling a buddy about my intentions and he started in with, oh no you should get an Imdian Pursuit instead.
Have any of the inmates here had dealings with the Pursuit.
From what I have seen about the Pursuit it looks to me that routine maintenance would be a real PITA. Take the bike half way apart to get to the air cleaner and the battery is way down in front.
From my dealings with Harleys the maintenance is pretty straight forward.
Yes the Pursuit may be a little bit more advanced with the adjustable windshield and a few other things but at 70 years old I am pretty old school.
So after this goofy rambling I guess I am just wondering what you folks think about the Pursuit and did it ever enter into your thoughts when you purchased your Road Glide.

· Registered
1,086 Posts
I didn’t know what a pursuit was, so I googled it. I would not even consider an Indian…but you need to buy what you want. Have a test ride on both and see which one you like the best. Good look!

· Registered
7,741 Posts
Also research Polaris and warranties. When the shut Victory down they left a lot of people still waiting on warranty parts. In their ATV business The Feds had to force them to recall and cover some that were burning up. HD is not prefect has it issues. Just make sure it is an educated move and not an impulse.

· Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,976 Posts
I gave Indian a chance when I was looking. Took a test ride on a chieftain during demo days at a local rally. Between the heat that motor put out and the buffeting from the adjustable windshield(tried varying heights), no thanks. The road glide is hot on the right side in stock form, but the Indian was worse.

Take one for a spin and make your own decision.

· Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,183 Posts
I spent 2 weeks considering Indian. Read. Researched. Got on the forum. Spoke w sales and parts. My decision to go HD again came down to this:
1. The Roadmaster will not accommodate my type of custom seat
2. Polaris has a clear policy about modifications or accessories that require "splicing". Two salesmen told me their shops will only put on PLUG AND PLAY accessories.
That was the deal breaker for me.
Plus - I missed my friends on THIS FORUM!!!!!

· Registered
7,741 Posts
I spent 2 weeks considering Indian. Read. Researched. Got on the forum. Spoke w sales and parts. My decision to go HD again came down to this:
1. The Roadmaster will not accommodate my type of custom seat
2. Polaris has a clear policy about modifications or accessories that require "splicing". Two salesmen told me their shops will only put on PLUG AND PLAY accessories.
That was the deal breaker for me.
Plus - I missed my friends on THIS FORUM!!!!!
That is Why I did nit buy the BMW

Reactions: DOOFUS

· Registered
2022 Road Glide Limited
64 Posts
I looked at them seriously, for one reason the Indian dealer is closer than the nearest HD dealer. The Challenger and the Pursuit were both very appealing to me. Wet heads, impressive torque numbers even stock, infotainment system is killer, adjustable rear pre-load from the touch screen, low CG, super comfortable rider triangle, nimble, blah, blah, blah. It turns out sometimes making decisions on paper alone is not so great. Stopped overanalyzing, especially when the Goldwing was added as an option.

Love my 22 Road Glide Limited, 1 month old and finishing stage II this week, changing anything I feel like to make it fit me perfectly. Not an option with Indian or Honda. No regrets.

Did you look at the parts costs for the Indian? I think a sissy bar and a pad for the Challenger was around $1,000. Made HD look like a bargain.

· Registered
Current, Yamaha FJR, going to order a Road Glide
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I was just wondering what others thoughts were on the subject.
I will definitely NOT be going with the Indian, for all the reasons that were listed.
I want a machine that I can customize and make MINE.
If I want more power that 131 crate engine looks very tempting.
Then upgrade the transmission and clutch.
What the hell it's only money.

· Registered
512 Posts
I looked hard at Indian last year after selling two HDs. They've got some air-cooled “clackers” in their own V-Twins, that you won’t hear until it’s broken in, so roll of the dice.

Hard pass for me.
Did you look at the parts costs for the Indian? I think a sissy bar and a pad for the Challenger was around $1,000. Made HD look like a bargain.
Parts and Accessories are easily two times what Harley parts are

BMW parts department LOLs :p

· Registered
730 Posts
I am going to order a 2023 Road Glide very soon. I was telling a buddy about my intentions and he started in with, oh no you should get an Imdian Pursuit instead.
Have any of the inmates here had dealings with the Pursuit.
From what I have seen about the Pursuit it looks to me that routine maintenance would be a real PITA. Take the bike half way apart to get to the air cleaner and the battery is way down in front.
From my dealings with Harleys the maintenance is pretty straight forward.
Yes the Pursuit may be a little bit more advanced with the adjustable windshield and a few other things but at 70 years old I am pretty old school.
So after this goofy rambling I guess I am just wondering what you folks think about the Pursuit and did it ever enter into your thoughts when you purchased your Road Glide.
One word: Butterface

· Registered
8,920 Posts
Personally I like the look of the classic lines on the first Indians Polaris came out with. The new bikes are Victory bikes with Indian Badging IMO.

I do like a lot of the features that come standard on the Challenger and Pursuit. I don’t like the dealer experience at the 3 dealers I can get to. I also prefer not to have liquid cooling. I like the engine being the centerpiece of the machine.

I have demo'd the Polaris Indian bikes every chance I could since they hit the market. I was ready to buy an Indian Springfield in 2016 but all three dealers wanted thousands more than the Harley dealer was offering to sell me a Road King for.

· Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
1,576 Posts
Not sure how Indians reach is across America, when I was tracking 30k+ a year out west I looked hard at a triumph Tiger. The only reason I didn’t dive in was cause of the dealership network.
just a thought if you stretch your legs out.

· Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
96 Posts
If I want more power that 131 crate engine looks very tempting.
Then upgrade the transmission and clutch.
You really only need a cam, good exhaust, and tune on these M8 engines. So, now you have more money for beer or whatever you weirdo canucks do up there.

I have no comment on the Indian, I just don't like all the "filler" plastic under the seat area.

· Premium Member
2017 Road Glide Special
121 Posts
Went through the same choice two years ago. Had been preparing for retirement long before looking at HD and Indian. Really liked the look of the 2014/2015 Chief. Went for a ride first of Feb. 2021 and stopped at the HD dealership about 35 miles from home to use their bathroom (always need to down 3 cups of coffee before leaving!) and saw a used denim black Road Glide Special. Told the guys at the Indian shop I was considering the RGS and the Challenger. They must have been very hungry, they came very close to the HD price. Something about the Indian did not grab me like the RG, appeared to have a lot more ground clearance and struck me as a copy of something else. Big reason for the purchase was to travel after retirement. A fact I could not ignore was if you break down somewhere you can find someone that can help you get back on the road. Parts new or used can usually be found. Don't feel the same about Indian. Also the aftermarket seemed less and much more costly.
After 2 years, 3 extended trips and 19K miles I know I made the right decision for me. Love my Road Glide! Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

· Registered
7,741 Posts
The day Polaris shut Victory down we were on a road trip. Victory dealers were still selling them at full price as if nothing was going on.
How would you feel if you were one of those that got suckered that day.

Reactions: Road dawg
1 - 20 of 41 Posts