Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did this on HD Forums and figured I would bring it on over here. Mods feel free to sticky.

This is a list of the vertical heights of all of the Road Glide windshields out there to use as a shopping tool for RG owners. Since Clearview is the only one that gives actual vertical height, it is hard to judge exactly how high a given shield is going to be. Most give a slope measurement from the edge of the fairing to the top of the shield.

I am hoping all will participate. We are going to go by how Clearview measures vertical height. From the flat ledge just above the speedometer and the tach straight up to where the top edge of the shield is. See below pic. The best and most accurate way I have found is have the bike sitting upright and lay a yardstick or something similar on the top edge of the shield with a bullet level on it. When it is level measure up from the speedo ledge to the leveled yardstick.

This is what I have so far. Please feel free to post your results for the ones missing (in bold red) or any I may have missed and I will edit this post. Remember this is for vertical height only. Not manufacturers listed height. And also feel free to add pics of your shield as well.

This database is for 1998-2009 models. Due to the angle of the faring on 2010 and up subtract 7/8" on all measurements below.

Manufacturer name is also a clickable link to their respective website

Harley Davidson
57958-98A Standard-Height Fits '98-'03 FLTR models - ???

58753-01A 7" Contoured Wind Deflector Fits '98-later models - ???

58284-04A 10" Windshield Fits '04-later models -???

Stock 2004-2009 shield - 12 1/2"
Stock 2011 - 13 3/4"

58283-04B 19" Windshield Fits '04-later models -???

Clearview
For 2004-2009 models:
Sport 9" - ???

GT Small - 11 1/2"

GT Stock Height - 13"

GT Medium - 14"

GT Large - 14 1/2"

GT X-Large - 16 1/4"

For 1998-2003 models:
Sport 7" L - ???

Short 9" L - ???

Stock 12" L - ???

Tour 14" L - ???

Tour 16" L - ???

Tour 18" L - ???

Tour 22" L - ???

Cee Bailey's
TR Super Step Contour Windshield
14" for most riders under 5’6" - ???

15" for most riders 5'7" to 5’9" - 11"

16" for most riders 5’10 to 6’0" - 12 1/2"

17” for most riders 6’1” to 6’3” - 12.625

18” for riders 6’4” and above - ???

SERG TR Super Step Contour
10" sport shield -???

12" for riders 5'5" to 5'7" -???

13" for riders 5'8" to 5'10 -???

14" for riders 5'11" to 6'1 - 11.75"

15" for riders 6'2" to 6'4" -???

16" for riders 6'5" or taller - 13"

Klock Werks
Flare 8" - 8 1/2"

Flare 12" - 10 7/8"

Flare 16" -???

National Cycle
VStream Tall - 15"

VStream Standard -???

VStream Low - 9 1/4"

Wave Tall - 12"

Wave Medium -???

Wave Low -???

Windvest
8" -???

10" -???

12" - 10.5"

14" - 12"

Kuryakyn
Airmaster Touring Windshield - 14 1/2"

Airmaster Sport Windscreen -???

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Kuryakyn airmaster measured 14 1/2" from the shelf to the top of the shield.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This is really nice. Good work and should help answer a lot of questions before they get asked.

For what it's worth, I get 12 1/2" (not 13") on the Clearview Standard Height on my 2009 FLTR.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm not a member of HD Forum, I hope some people give my thread :

I have a HD 10" (6" shorter) : 22cm/8.66"
It is ugly and there is a lot of disturbance.

I received today a CEE Bailey's 15" SE RG CVO 2009 (SERG)
31cm/12.20"
Tomorrow, I test it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is really nice. Good work and should help answer a lot of questions before they get asked.

For what it's worth, I get 12 1/2" (not 13") on the Clearview Standard Height on my 2009 FLTR.

The Clearview measurements came straight from their site. Dunno.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture...........I might have been slightly off of the vertical axis, but looks like it's pretty close.

Well I messed up something with the image coding, but it is in my gallery.
Oh I believe you. And you are not the first to give me a different measurement on a Clearview than Clearview provides.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
You get the medal for complete info ,thanks :)
Now all we have to do is figur out if the curve that alot of the suppliers works to add a larger "bubble" that travels over the riders head works
HMMMMMM?:cool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just put on a 12" Wind Vest and it measures 10.5".

·
Registered
407 Posts
No problem, I was just really surprised that it measures 12" from the speedo housing. This is about the same as the Windvest 14" so wanted to see both so I can deside. Only bad thing is it looks like the Wave Tall does not come in a tint.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Please be advised: the Kury Airmaster Touring is NOT 14.5" tall. It measures 14.5" from the shelf to the top edge, BUT it angles back toward the rider by 4.5". In reality, it only measures a little more than 12" in height.

J

·
0 Posts
Windshield height etc.

Initially I replaced the shorty / stock shield on my '09 SE, with the standard Harley windshield that comes on a standard Road Glide. I want my face protected from flying objects when I ride, especially at highway speeds. And actually it worked fine. It was distortion free also.

Then I decided to get a better quality, shield. The Kuryakyn shield looks hot but way too much visual distortion for a shield I am going to look through. I know it's not glass, but I want no visual wavey distortions messing with my visual perception when I ride.

Then I got a Clearview. I got the one that around stock height which has my line of sight a couple of inches under the top edge on level ground. It has a slight gray tint and the recurve.

It looks fine on the bike, but there are two problems. Most important it has some mild distortion in the area of the recourve. I talked at length with one of the owners about not wanting any distortion and he said he would keep an eye on my shield before it shipped for that. Well there is distortion. The problem is when you get the shield it has protective film on it and it is impossible to check it until it is naked and mounted.

So I rode with it last season. Also, the fairing on my bike is orange on the windshield side of the fairing. That looks good, but in the sun, at least with this winshield and the gray tint, I often see the orange reflection on the windshield and that is distracting sometimes.

I know many say you want a windshield that you look over. I have had that and it does of course result in a clear an undistorted view, but then there is the risk of getting hit in the face - which I do not want.

The conclusions I have come to is that if there is any recurve in a shield there will be distortion and possibly a clear shield might help with the orange reflection thing.

Anyone with knowledge and experience about this please respond. Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm ugly enough that I guess it won't matter getting hit in the face a few more times lol. ;) But to be honest I've run a couple od different sheilds and I keep going back to the stock on my 07...granted its tall and ugly but I can see over it. 5'10" 32 inseam. now when the new seat gets in I will have to see if I can still see over the top of it and I may put the 12inch klock works back on it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Initially I replaced the shorty / stock shield on my '09 SE, with the standard Harley windshield that comes on a standard Road Glide. I want my face protected from flying objects when I ride, especially at highway speeds. And actually it worked fine. It was distortion free also.

Then I decided to get a better quality, shield. The Kuryakyn shield looks hot but way too much visual distortion for a shield I am going to look through. I know it's not glass, but I want no visual wavey distortions messing with my visual perception when I ride.

Then I got a Clearview. I got the one that around stock height which has my line of sight a couple of inches under the top edge on level ground. It has a slight gray tint and the recurve.

It looks fine on the bike, but there are two problems. Most important it has some mild distortion in the area of the recourve. I talked at length with one of the owners about not wanting any distortion and he said he would keep an eye on my shield before it shipped for that. Well there is distortion. The problem is when you get the shield it has protective film on it and it is impossible to check it until it is naked and mounted.

So I rode with it last season. Also, the fairing on my bike is orange on the windshield side of the fairing. That looks good, but in the sun, at least with this winshield and the gray tint, I often see the orange reflection on the windshield and that is distracting sometimes.

I know many say you want a windshield that you look over. I have had that and it does of course result in a clear an undistorted view, but then there is the risk of getting hit in the face - which I do not want.

The conclusions I have come to is that if there is any recurve in a shield there will be distortion and possibly a clear shield might help with the orange reflection thing.

Anyone with knowledge and experience about this please respond. Thanks!
You're the perfect candidate for a National Cycle Vstream Standard. I have the tall version and it works fantastic with no visual distortion, but it's TALL. I've not used the Standard height yet, but I'll bet it would be perfect for your situation.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've got a stock HD shield from an 07 on my 2010 and it measures 13" from the speedo housing ledge.

Looks pretty much exactly like ScooterDogs picture.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts