Road Glide banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Windvest 10" measures in at 8.25" above the shelf.

·
Registered
483 Posts
6'6, 36" inseam. Stock suspension, '13 RGC.

16" Freedom Shield, light tint. I look just over the top of it by 2 inches. Throws air perefctly over top of my head.
Craigmier, do your gangster apes or mirrors hit the 16" at all?

·
Registered
126 Posts
kaufmanrider, do you have a measurement with that all the way down

·
Registered
296 Posts
After reading all the posts I just realized that lowered my front two inches so all this measurements are off for me, am I right?
I am 5'6" with a lowered MCC seat and I am looking about 11 inches over the Speedo cluster or 7 inches over the radio, I was thinking the 11 Mako or 10,12 klockwerks in order to look over it?
Really? Apparently, rather I hope you lowered the whole bike instead of just the front or you are going to be a world of hurt handling. And you lowered the seat. The bike frame doesn't matter (except for what i said above), the seat does. At your height I'd measure to be safe, but probably an 8" WV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Big Chew,

Check out clear view windshields. clearviewshields.com/blog/choosing-correct-shield-height. Also check youtube there are videos on how to measure correct height.

glideKing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last week I traded into the '11 RGU.
The bike came with a 12" Klock Werks windshield.

From the center mount hole to the top, the shield measured about 12.5 inches along the slope.

From the top of the instrument cluster, the shield measured about 11 inches.

I am about 5' 9" with about a 30" inseam.
With my 1/2 helmet, I got buffeting and lots of wind noise.
I had about the same result with my 3/4 helmet.
My wife while riding as a passenger with a 3/4 helmet got a lot of wind and buffeting.

This afternoon I switched out to the stock Road Glide Ultra windshield and went for a short ride. I *think* I noticed an improvement in the buffeting and the wind noise seemed less.

I then installed a set of the Harley Davidson deflectors that snap onto the engine guard and tank mount. This made, in my opinion a dramatic improvement. I did notice a different sort of vibration at around and above 60 MPH. It seemed like a higher frequency vibration, perhaps induced by the re-directed airflow of the deflectors. Overall, I believe the stock shield and deflectors are an improvement over the 12" Klock Werks.

I still believe there is something better out there for me.

The stock shield sits at about the "correct" height when I am sitting on the bike. I took a straight edge and laid it across the top of the shield. I used a level to level the straight edge and found that the height of the stock shield was level somewhere between my chin and nose. I believe I have read somewhere that this is the appropriate or suggested height for a windshield.

The stock RGU windshield, from the center mount hole measures about 16 inches along the slope.

From the top of the instrument cluster, the shield measured about 12.5 inches.

this is almost exactly the same as my current situation, I have the same Klock Werks shield and we get the same buffeting that ruins the ride at highway speeds.

Have you fitted another Shield yet?

I am looking at the Long Ride Shield 13" Mako, if anyone has any feedback on these screens that would be great.

I am 5'11" and my wife is 5'10", if I am on my own and slouch in the seat the buffeting is not so sever so I guess a taller shield would be an improvement

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm 5'11 - when I sat on my RGS and had my wife hold a measuring tape off the top of the vent on the front of the OEM shield, my line of sight was 9". I ordered and installed a Klock Werks 14' Sport Flare. I can easily see over the top either sitting with my feet flat on the boards or slouched a little with them on the highway pegs.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts