Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm planning a road trip to Yellowstone next year. This will be my first time visiting the park and I have a couple of questions:

-What is the best time of year to visit Yellowstone? I usually do my road trips in June.

-We're planning on camping. Has anyone stayed at the KOA in Yellowstone?
Any other suggestions for camping are welcome.

=Are we better off camping at a set location and doing day trips from there or is it better to camp different places as we make our way through Yellowstone?

Any other advise of tips are welcome; especially when it comes to riding great roads.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I go to Yellowstone every year as live close. September is best time. June to early and cold and rainy. Koa is over priced most expensive koa in the nation but nice enough. Better campgrounds and mom and pop cabins for cheaper

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ran Yellowstone last year on the way back west from Sturgis. Don't camp so can't help you there. As for time of year I would go very late June if that's your month to go. East Yellowstone can still be in the 30's in the a.m. Hours in June. You can probably take two day trips and pretty much cover everything depending on the amount of time you spend at the attractions and/or hiking around.
One word of advise, keep your distance with the cagers, they will just slam on their binders at the first site of anything and stop dead in the middle of the road.
Very busy place so anything you make make reservations for, do it in advance. Be careful with the buffalo, they are not real friendly towards loud bike pipes. Beautiful scenery with some nice roads but as I said, CROWDED !

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been going to Yellowstone every year for several years. In my opinion, September is the best month to go. I say this because the crowds are less, the fall colors are beautiful and wildlife viewing is great. I have not camped there but there are several campgrounds both inside and outside the park. I personally like staying in one place and making day trips, but there are a lot of things to see and do in the area and the park is very large so you may have some long days getting back to camp.
Two must rides for me are the Beartooth Highway from Cooke City, Mt to Red Lodge Mt. And The Chief Joseph Highway from Cocy Wyoming to Cooke City.

It is a beautiful area and you will enjoy it whenever you are able to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Late June to early July. You really should ride the Beartooth Hwy and you want to go when it's open.

If you get to the park early, you should be able to find a campsite in Yellowstone itself. We got one in Madison and heard the elk bugling in the evening. Not all campgrounds have showers and flush toilets.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have camped inside the park twice. My son and I camped @ the Madison Campground in 2009. This is the better of the 2 that I stayed in. They have Motorcycle specific sites with Bear boxes in which to place your food supplies. You have access to showers at the Madison Lodge. This campground is only about 5 miles inside the park which means you are only 5 miles from Gardner, MT. Easy access to groceries and other needed supplies While we were there a herd of Elk came with in 20 feet of our tent. Each evening there was a "Ranger Talk" on various topics of interest regarding Yellowstone.

+ one on making sure you ride the Bear-tooth and Chief Joseph Highways. I'm not sure of you route to and from the park; but if you are coming from I-90 in Wyoming or headed back that way consider Hwy 14 or Hwy 16 traveling between Cody and I-90. Both roads take you through the Bighorn National Forest. Hwy 16 is a beautiful mountain pass one of my favorites from our trip. I haven't ridden on Hwy 14 but have heard that it is equally impressive.
Enjoy your trip.
Here are a couple of pictures from our trip. Our tent at sunrise and one looking back down at a portion of the Beartooth from Rock Vista overlook just outside of Red lodge.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344772534.589885.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344772403.179616.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm sorry. I gave you the wrong name of the campground area. It was the Mammoth Campground. If you plan to camp inside the park, you can reserve those online just make sure you're positive of the dates you will be there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry. I gave you the wrong name of the campground area. It was the Mammoth Campground. If you plan to camp inside the park, you can reserve those online just make sure you're positive of the dates you will be there.
Thanks. We're in the investigative stage at this point. Just doing our research and planning the things we want to do. I forwarded this thread to my friends and we'll decide on dates in the near future. Truthfully, September will be much better for me than June.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've been to YNP 4 times in the last 6 years. I've never camped inside the park but I'd like to sometime on a future trip. Buffalo Bill State Park is about 10 miles west of Cody and is very affordable compared to the KOA in town. Last time I stayed there, in 2008, it was around 15 a night. Not much shade but it's on a beautiful lake and the mountainous scenery is gorgeous. They have showers and whatnot in there, too. It's about 30 miles from the SE entrance to the park.

Not sure how much time you're going to spend there but you may want to consider relocating a time or 2. Grand Tetons NP borders the southern end of YNP and as long as you're that close you owe it to yourself to see them and ride the scenic byways near Jackson. However, you won't have time to do that and do Yellowstone in the same day unless you just do a drive by.

Red Lodge, MT has a fair priced KOA, and it's on the north end of Beartooth. You MUST ride it. It's only 62 (I think) miles but it'll take you 2, maybe 3 hours. Red Lodge is a nice little town and very biker friendly.

Not sure how reservations work for Yellowstone, but it being one of the top destinations in the NPS it's probably similar to Yosemite. They take online only reservations through www.recreation.gov for 3 month blocks. On "opening day" of reservations for that block, they go quickly. For Yosemite it is 90 days in advance of the beginning of a 3 month block. Do your homework in advance so you have an idea what campground you want to stay in and even choose a few sites. Go on the National Parks Service website and read about it, even email them for free brochures. Do a google search on best camp sites in Yellowstone. Be on the dot gov website and have everything preloaded onto your pc on the day the reservations become available and have your finger poised on the reserve button. At zero hour/ minute/ second- hit "send". And have a backup or 2 in case you get beat out by a quicker finger.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Spend a day in Cody. Nice town about an hour ride from the park I think, maybe a little more. They have a gun museum there that is huge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts