Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Planning a trip for mid to late September going from South Carolina north to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia & Virginia. I haven't started route planning yet but am asking that anyone who has been up in that area with recommendations and ideas of "Must See" and Must Ride" places in any of those states drop a note in this thread. I't going to be an 8 day ride with camping as the primary overnight accommodation.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the ideas coming in.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The only place I know is the Pennsylvania Grand Cannyon. My wife is from Mansfield. You can drive the cannyon from Wellsbore to Jersey Shore through Ansonia and Slate Run, following the Pine Creek. It is awsome. Beautiful ride. You have places to camp. You have a small HD dealer in Mansfield. In Wellsboro there a few very nice places to eat lovely steakes. I love the Penn Wells Hotel.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here’s a short list of POI that I have found
Backbone Falls TN is a wonderful place for pictures.
Big Walker Lookout Wythville VA also do the Back of the Dragon #16
Hungry Mother State Park...my favorite park :)
Falling Spring Falls VA
Lunch at Swing Bridge Paint Bank VA
Route 56 Steels Tavern VA to Colleen VA
Smoke Hole Rd
https://goo.gl/maps/NRxtpnL4TTr
The dealer in State College PA is a must.
Wellsboro PA is also a wonderful town to visit.
Hyner View State Park Hyner PA
Kinzua Bridge State Park Mt Jewett PA
Letchworth State Park NY and a wonderful lunch at Glen Iris Inn
All the riding around Finger Lakes NY
While you are up there might as well check out Niagara Falls on the Canadian side.
Also check out some of the wine in the area.
Bear Mountain State Park NY is really pretty if you are in the area.
Ride to the top of Mt Washington NH
If you get to the ocean Bar Harbor ME is a must…ride to the top of Acadia National Park
Google all of the places for more info.
Sorry I can’t help you with the camping part…my idea of camping is “where’s the nearest Hilton and fetch me a martini”

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here are a few more

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here’s a few more.
Because you are doing this trip end of Sept…its Elk season in Benezette PA and worth checking out if you are into wild life.
Also the Black Forest Inn Lock Haven PA offers a wonderful lunch.
Monica’s Pies Naples NY is a must and there is camping in the area.
There’s a pretty decent bike night at the Stone House in Farmington PA.
While in the area check out Ohiopyle PA.
Harpers Ferry / Sandy Hook along the Potomc River in MD / VA is a real nice area with camping also.
Route 15 Harrisburg PA to Williamsport PA is a wonderful ride
Route 9W is also a great ride from Bear Mt all the way up to Albany NY then grab 9N up to Ausable Chasm NY…wonderful camping here also.
There’s ferry’s and bridges to take you across to VT.
You could also do the York Plant tour in York PA.
Tupper Lake NY and Lake Placid NY is a great area if you’re going that far north.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Going to tag in on this thread and see where it goes. We have been doing a M&G in the fall the past couple years here in Pa...maybe we can coordinate something that works with your trip up this way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seneca Rocks, WV

West of Harrisonburg, VA through Rawley Springs on Hwy 33..............up over the Monongahela to Franklin, WV. Take a left and head towards Seneca Rocks.............great campground there........or take a left at Franklin and you will run into a Navy Base in Sugar Grove.

Take advantage of the National Parks/Forest Campgrounds.............all of them have great services and Hot Showers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to tag in on this thread and see where it goes. We have been doing a M&G in the fall the past couple years here in Pa...maybe we can coordinate something that works with your trip up this way.
That would be pretty cool. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All,

Planning a trip for mid to late September going from South Carolina north to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia & Virginia. I haven't started route planning yet but am asking that anyone who has been up in that area with recommendations and ideas of "Must See" and Must Ride" places in any of those states drop a note in this thread. I't going to be an 8 day ride with camping as the primary overnight accommodation.

If your going to be in New Hampshire you have to go to the white mountains and ride the kangamangus highway". There are state campgrounds along the way and plenty to see. It's cold up there in Sept. Prepare for that. I lived up north all my life but moved to SC 2 years ago. August there is better for camping. Have fun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All,

Subscribed. Like someone said take 33 from Harrisonburg and head towards Seneca Rocks. Route 72 as well as Smoke Hole Road are great rides. Let me know when you are going. I ride there a lot. So much so I just bought a second home in Cabins, WV. it is 20 miles from Seneca Rocks. I will try to meet you down there and offer accommodations. As far a Maine it will be really cold at that time but a must see for Maine is Lubec, the most eastern city in the US. You can go over to Campobello Island in Canada, Roosevelt had a summer home there. Also, Camden Maine is a really quaint town.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Take the BRP all the way North.
HD factory tour in York PA. There are no workers on Fri, but they still do tours.
Out of NE PA grab route 22 up through eastern NY.
Route 9 East into VT.
Then take VT 100 North up to Route 302.
Follow 302 into NH where you can ride the Kangamangus Highway over to the Mt Washington Auto Road.
Continue East into Maine and get onto Route 11 and head North to Fort Kent.
Leaving Fort Kent head South on Route 1 and visit coastal Maine towns rich in history and spectacular views.
Just a thought... Touch base when you get in the area. You are welcome to spend the night at our house if it fits into your plans. Speed safely.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Carlisle in PA. Then make your way to York for the H-D factory tour and then move your way down to Lancaster and Chester county. Best roads in the state.

Let me know when you plan to come through.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
In upstate New York drop by Motorcyclepedia musuem awesome place, but as for riding the Adirondaks are amazing, and when your in New Hampshire riding White Mountain National park is a must, truly amazing. One of my all time favorites.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts