Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time again boys and girls.

For the last three years I've ridding from Northern Indiana to Vegas and back for vacation. This year will be a little different. Me, my wife Jen, my buddy Tom, and his wife Crystal are riding out to Arizona to putt around for a week. Tom & Crystal rode with us to Vegas last year and had a great time so this year we are doing the AZ stuff.

Tom is on a 2013 Road Glide and I've got the 2015 Road Glide. Should be a fun trip. Yes, we know it will be hotter than Hades, but coming from Indiana we actually look forward to the blistering heat. Did I mention the heat makes the beer and tequila all that much more satisfying at the end of the day? J

Our plan is to make Tulsa OK on the first night, Albuquerque NM on the second night. There are a couple of things we plan to see the following morning in ABQ, then we are going to take I25 down to 60 then run 60 over to 180 then down to 191 (the old route 666 Devil’s Highway). We will take that south down to I10 and work our way into Tombstone. We plan to stay in Tombstone for a couple nights then ride through Tucson, Phoenix, and up to Prescott before starting our way back home. No real plans after Tombstone other than to try and see some cool stuff while there.

For those that live out that way, if you have suggestions on neat stuff to see feel free to post them and I’ll take notes to see what we can fit in! As always, I will try to post pics in this post after the trip, but I will also be posting a lot via social media during the trip for anybody interested.

Facebook.com/TLKurtz
@TLKurtz

·
Registered
311 Posts

For the last three years I've ridding from Northern Indiana to Vegas and back for vacation. This year will be a little different. Me, my wife Jen, my buddy Tom, and his wife Crystal are riding out to Arizona to putt around for a week. Tom & Crystal rode with us to Vegas last year and had a great time so this year we are doing the AZ stuff.

Tom is on a 2013 Road Glide and I've got the 2015 Road Glide. Should be a fun trip. Yes, we know it will be hotter than Hades, but coming from Indiana we actually look forward to the blistering heat. Did I mention the heat makes the beer and tequila all that much more satisfying at the end of the day? J

Our plan is to make Tulsa OK on the first night, Albuquerque NM on the second night. There are a couple of things we plan to see the following morning in ABQ, then we are going to take I25 down to 60 then run 60 over to 180 then down to 191 (the old route 666 Devil’s Highway). We will take that south down to I10 and work our way into Tombstone. We plan to stay in Tombstone for a couple nights then ride through Tucson, Phoenix, and up to Prescott before starting our way back home. No real plans after Tombstone other than to try and see some cool stuff while there.

For those that live out that way, if you have suggestions on neat stuff to see feel free to post them and I’ll take notes to see what we can fit in! As always, I will try to post pics in this post after the trip, but I will also be posting a lot via social media during the trip for anybody interested.

Facebook.com/TLKurtz
@TLKurtz
Sounds like it's gonna be an awesome trip! Looking forward to the pics.

Might check out "Old Tucson" while out that way, they filmed a lot of movies there. Also while in Tucson, if you get a chance, go to Davis-Monthan and check out the boneyard. Lot of neat old planes out there. If they still do the tours. They did them when I was stationed out there, but that's been 31 yrs ago. But would be worth checking out.

Also sent you a friend request on fb.

·
Super Moderator
2,872 Posts
Gimme a heads up when your in the Phoenix area. You MUST check out Cave Creet and the Hideaway. I'll be happy to join you for a delicious serving of.......grape juice! ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like we are getting some better details ironed out.

We are staying in Tombstone on July 3-4, then heading up to some cabins at Creekside Cabins & Lodge in Mayer AZ. That will be our home base July 5-8 while we ride all over AZ. It seems central enough to allow us to hit stuff in the Phoenix area as well as Prescott, Sedona, etc.

Still trying to find the cool stuff to see like ghost towns, old west historical stuff, cool biker bars, etc.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The day is finally here. I'm sitting at work (16:35 EST) finishing a few last minute details, but I hit the road in the morning. I think I've done all I can to the scoot to make it ready. I had the two front rotors replaced under warranty (warped). Had my clutch switch replaced under warranty (bike wouldn't start in gear - didn't recognize when the clutch was pulled in). I serviced the engine, trans, and primary. Changed my front brake master cylinder seal due to a leak. Had the dealer spend a little time while they had it to make sure I didn't have any other warranty issues (bad bearings, etc.). Brakes are all still like new at 10,500 miles. I've checked all the controls, checked the exhaust flanges to be sure they're tight, checked basically all fasteners. Tires and air pressure us all good. Pulled the stock rear shocks and installed some Progressive 944 Ultra Touring shocks and set the preload. Hell, I can't think of much I haven't checked on it. I even gave it a deep cleaning and nice polish so it's ready for some new road bugs.

I'll be on the road at 06:30 tomorrow morning to meet at my buddy's house. We should then be rolling by just after 07:00. Our first big stop is at Gateway H-D in St. Louis. He has a standing appointment to get the 1,000-mile service done on his new CVO Road Glide Ultra. Shop says that should take long. We are still planning to make Tulsa OK by end-of-day. I'll post updates and pics via Facebook during the trip, but probably won't be able to update this thread with everything until I return.

Remember: RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

Facebook.com/TLKurtz
@TLKurtz
Lemme know when you're in town! Live on the west side of Albuquerque and youre welcome to stay here. Sandia crest, and Jemez (Gilman Tunnels) are some nice local areas to see. The 666 would be cool, would like to join you on that one!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
TLKurtz,

Just saw your post this morning & I know you are already on the road.

When in AZ you'll want to keep an eye on this site: Wildfire News
It's summertime & that means wildfires. Sometimes they necessitate route changes. The Bug Creek fire had I-17 closed for a while, not far from Mayer.

Grand Canyon H-D has a small shop in Mayer, just down from your cabins.

You gotta ride 89 south from Prescott, thru Yarnell, to Congress. You can re-fuel in Wickenburg & ride back up - that ride is great in both directions!

Then head north on 89A & head into Jerome. Grab lunch at the Haunted Hamburger. Continue on 89A thru Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon & into Flagstaff. Grand Canyon H-D's main shop is west on I-40 in Bellemont. Worth a stop.

A little further east get off the interstate onto Route 66 in Williams. Cool little town. The world famous Sultana bar draws the 2-wheeled crowd.

A little further east you can exit the slab again onto Route 66 at Seligman. You can ride 66 into Kingman.

Or, from Flagstaff head south on Lake Mary Road to 87. Take that south thru Strawberry & Pine. Stop at That Brewery in Pine (it will be on the right). Continue on 87 south & before you get to Payson stop & check out Tonto Natural Bridge.

In Payson head east (left) on 260. Watch the speed cameras in Star Valley. The road will climb up onto the Mogollon Rim - the last hill rises some 1500'. Stay on 260 thru Heber-Overgaard & in Show Low head south on 60 & ride thru Salt River Canyon down to Globe.

From Globe take 70 toward Safford & 191 toward Morenci & on up Coronado Scenic Byway (Devil's Highway) thru Hannagan Meadow & Alpine into Springerville.
Then 260 back to Payson, north on 87 to 260 east over to Camp Verde, down 17 back to Mayer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts