Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Really glad to find this forum. I was wondering what would be the best way to find information on places that are must see's on our upcoming trip. We will be traveling from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to New Orleans then back up again through Mt. Rushmore on the way home.

I scratched out a map on the Harley ride planner site (Brad, Jay and Dan's Awesome Harley Adventure) if you want to look it up.

It will be 5533 miles round trip (8905 kms for our Canadian brothers). I would like to find out if there are things that people think a person should see and also maybe if there are any rallies or that type of thing.

We are stopping for a couple three days in New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville. Turns out we are pulling into Nashville at the same time as country music awards so would like to know of some things away from the city to see. Trip to Jack Daniels for sure.

I realize this is pretty vague, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
try posting a link to the ride planner page. just copy the info from your browser and paste it on a post. There are some fantastic places to see depending on when you are riding and what route you are taking. Good luck ans welcome to the USA.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Natchez trace

If heading south out of Nashville take the trace. 444 miles two lane no commercial traffic. Great ride.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
While in NOLA:
- Cafe Du Monde for the coffee and beignets
http://www.cafedumonde.com/
- Pat Obriens for a Hurricane Adult Beverage
http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/p...ww.patobriens.com/patobriens/default.asp#2683
- Take a cemetery tour
- Take Air Boats on a Swamp Tour
- Make sure someone stays sober enough to find your way home :)

If you are looking for good BBQ in Alabama or Nashville these 2 places or worthy of a stop:

BBQ in Tuscaloosa Al
Archibalds & Woodrow's
205-331-4858

BBQ in Nashville
Edleys on Main
615 873 4085

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ok, Thanks for the link, this will make it much easier to suggest stops. First I see that you're planning on getting off the super slab in Opelousas and heading for Baton Rouge. I suggest you stay on 49 until you get to Lafayette, then pick up I-10 west. This will get you to the "Red Stick" and you will be able to get some fantastic eats at the Boudin store in Breaux Bridge. Its a short detour and probably faster way. You will also cross the largest swamp in La on a truly great road. Will post more when the opportunity arises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips!!! I am trying to make a list of things to see along the way and this helps a lot. Going to do the Needles highway in SD for sure and now the suggestions for New Orleans.

Also passed along the suggestions for BBQ and everyone is excited.

We have now decided to spend 3 nights in Memphis as well so if anyone has suggestions for there it would be greatly appreciated.

Attractions along the way are great advice too!

Thanks to everyone in advance!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What are your dates? The wife and I along with another couple are doing the black hill in Late july, from Michigan. should be in Sioux Falls SD around the 22nd and doing the black hill for the next week just prior to the 75th Sturgis, Black Hills classic.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
What are your dates? The wife and I along with another couple are doing the black hill in Late july, from Michigan. should be in Sioux Falls SD around the 22nd and doing the black hill for the next week just prior to the 75th Sturgis, Black Hills classic.

Wife and I will be there from the 24th to the 30th. :D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Wife and I will be there from the 24th to the 30th. :D
Looks like we're gonna just miss you, oh well,. Enjoy the trip and welcome to the USA. Enjoy the cultural diversity and some incredible food along the way.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Looks like we're gonna just miss you, oh well,. Enjoy the trip and welcome to the USA. Enjoy the cultural diversity and some incredible food along the way.

What? Last time I looked Illinois was still in the USA. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What? Last time I looked Illinois was still in the USA. :rolleyes:
Why, yes it is. However the OP is coming from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada so I figured They're Canadian. And WE won't be along their route until the end of July. Sooo, help me understand your comment please.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Okay now I get it, crossed threads I assume!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Darned Mobil app. Curses, foiled again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts