Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left Phoenix on June 26 for road trip to Banff British Columbia. Got as far as Yellowstone., And got caught in a moose jam. That's where everybody stops and looks at one moose on the side of the road. Bike went into the limp mode. Let bike cooled off, and restarted. We then rode for about 5 miles, and bike was missing, and when we finally shut it down we could not get it started. We had a hard check engine light and a lot of codes.
We were towed to Yellowstone Harley just outside of Bozeman and they determined that it was at the actual throttlebody that was bad. So they had to overnight the part in and we're getting ready to go out today to see if that fix the bike.
If that fixes everything will be on our way again two Banff with a two day delay.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
Contact Info

PM sent with my contact information.

If you need anything while you are in Banff or would like recommendations for restaurants or things to see / do while you're there, please do not hesitate to call or text.

Regards,

Caglaryglide

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx CalgartGlide,
Got your PM, and will call when we get nearer to Banff.

So HD in Belgrade changes throttle body, and off we go.
About 70 miles out, at speed of 75, engine goes into limp mode. Pull off to side, no throttle responce, shut down, and cannot restart. Hard check engine light showing. Tried to wiggle plug behind air filter, but very hot. Still hv check eng light. After about 10 minutes, I turn on ignition, and no light. Engine starts, and we make it to Great Falls to rejoin group.
We will see what happens today. There is HD in Great Falls, but we want to leave early, to make up lost time.
I think we'll see if bike starts normally or not this morning.
Not the best way to enjoy a ride, wondering if your engine will quit at any time.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Thx CalgartGlide,
Got your PM, and will call when we get nearer to Banff.

So HD in Belgrade changes throttle body, and off we go.
About 70 miles out, at speed of 75, engine goes into limp mode. Pull off to side, no throttle responce, shut down, and cannot restart. Hard check engine light showing. Tried to wiggle plug behind air filter, but very hot. Still hv check eng light. After about 10 minutes, I turn on ignition, and no light. Engine starts, and we make it to Great Falls to rejoin group.
We will see what happens today. There is HD in Great Falls, but we want to leave early, to make up lost time.
I think we'll see if bike starts normally or not this morning.
Not the best way to enjoy a ride, wondering if your engine will quit at any time.
I'm thinking the throttle body is not the problem. Did they put dielectric grease on the connections on the injectors wires and such?

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hv not had a problem since the one north of Yelloestone HD. Starting to regain some confidence, still cautious.
We are in Banff now. Rode up Rte 40 from Longview. One of the most spectacular roads I have ever been on.
Looking forward to SW in Canmore next year.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
You're at the front door of one of the worlds greatest rides, The Icefield Highway. When we were in Banff, and the locals saw our NV plates, they assumed we rode 1500 miles specifically to get to it. We told them we hadn't heard of it, and were turning west.

They looked at us like we had three heads.

Took their advise, and rode it. Stunning, is an understatement...

· Registered
464 Posts
My friend's 2009 went into limp mode. The connector pins behind the throttle body were replaced. Did a search and found that this is a common limp mode problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.