Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Payton is 11 years old now. With 11,000 miles of sidecar riding you could say she is experienced. We may make a few mods to her Wheelchair for this trip. With her Dad in Afghanistan our plans for a trip to the Ark Encounter were put on hold. We decided to go anyway. Just Payton and her grandfather.
If we loaded up in the van it would be just a trip. We talked about it and she wants to go in the sidecar. The trip will be 1,200 miles round trip. Latter today her and I will sit down and pick the day we are leaving , where we want to stay and the route. Payton has made it clear any motels must have a pool. You have to relax after a long days ride you know.
Payton is a detailed orientated child . She plans well so After I give her information she needs , she will do most of the planning. I know of a few great motels and will let her pick. One thing I do not want on the trip is bad surprises at a motel . This trip is going to be an Adventure for both of us.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Sounds awesome Smitty.
Make sure to document Your Venture with Payton.
Post up plenty of pics so We can tag along.
Safe travels.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
Enjoy the trip. I enjoyed many trips with our children on the back. They were all great adventures resulting in awesome memories. Now they are grown and moved away living their lives. I relish those memories.

04 Road Glide

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Smitty - What an incredible thing to do to include your disabled granddaughter in your life while her father is serving. It sounds as if the two of you really enjoy riding and I do hope that you post plenty pictures of the both of you, the bike, and the Ark experience when you decide to depart. Good on ya and may your trip be safe, fun, and rewarding for both of you.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With school year starting soon and other appointments she has we had to move quick. Made reservation this morning., She picked a Best Western to stay at now she is making a list of things to take. Harrison , OH is not far from the ARK and a great place to stay.
Weather 11 years old or 65 traveling with a female has a long packing list.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Awesome! My wife and I are going to stop in at the Ark Encounter on our Labor Day weekend/ Wedding Anniversary trip.

Depending on your route it might be cool to cross the Ohio River via ferry. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g39626-d8521049-Reviews-Cave_in_Rock_Ferry-Marion_Kentucky.html

When I led my riding buddies onto the ferry they were wondering why I was pulling into this "parking lot" by the river. The timing was perfect and we rolled right up onto the ferry before they could even question the sanity of it. :grin:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you think motorcycle parts and work is a racket, wait till you deal with wheel chairs. It is a 100% scam market controlled by a few.

Payton's everyday chair unpowered is an $8,000 chair. It works for her needs but to use it with the sidecar would mean an hour to take apart and put back together.

Some time back we located a used hospital type chair. Took a set of foot rests from a different chair. Some time with a hammer, drill, saws-all and grinder we made it so we could fit it in the sidecar.

Foot rest come off wheels come off and chair folds and stored behind the seat. The wheels go in sidecar trunk. Not much to look at but it works. We used a stroller until she out grew that.

The chair we customized is making the trip.

The sidecar has a canopy top, we are taking it along. She stays dry in the rain. Unlike yesterday when we did not take it and found a big rain storm. I hope with this thread to encourage others with family members restricted to chairs to, think outside the box . There are many ways to expand the activities they can enjoy.

The modified chair assemble and disassembled. This years ride is practice. next year she rides the Dragon in the sidecar. By then we may need some new ideas on a chair to take.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gQFaKU]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts