Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer 1st: Had the time of my life, "more" than I ever expected!!! But, since I've been back I just can't seem to get my head "back in the game". Love my wife more than anyone on earth, mama too,(we take care of her now that the dementia has set in). Have a nice home, plenty to eat, creature comforts, etc.; so I don't want to sound ungrateful, but things just seem anti-climactic now. I'm thinking about the road A LOT!!! Anybody else have this experience? I guess I just needed to vent, thanks for listening.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There is something magical about taking a road trip on a motorcycle. For me, it's a few weeks before I get totally settled back into the routine without thinking of the time on the road in some fashion. This last one ended with a good friend wrecking his bike and going to the ER. He's healing well and thinking about the next scoot, but I can't get the fantastic back roads or his accident out of my mind. Next trip is shorter, but I am counting down the days. Yeah, I think about the road quite a bit, too. Glad you had a great and memorable trip.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is something magical about taking a road trip on a motorcycle. For me, it's a few weeks before I get totally settled back into the routine without thinking of the time on the road in some fashion. This last one ended with a good friend wrecking his bike and going to the ER. He's healing well and thinking about the next scoot, but I can't get the fantastic back roads or his accident out of my mind. Next trip is shorter, but I am counting down the days. Yeah, I think about the road quite a bit, too. Glad you had a great and memorable trip.
Thanks for the response Zinc. Hope your friend gets back in the saddle healed and whole real soon. "Magical" is a great word to define it. If you are interested in seeing pics, etc. the original thread was titled "2016, year of my dreamtrip" Right now I'm looking at SW 2017,:wink:

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I was an over the road trucker. Then had to come off the road to stabilize the homestead. Took me forever to get the road out of my head. Been 15 years. Did 11 as a heavy haul driver for a heavy highway construction company. Missed the road every day. Now I unload trucks. Defribbulator in my chest from multiple heart attacks. Still miss the road but I'm good with the life I have. My wife is my world and she knows I've got the traveling bone.

We had a trip planned to New Orleans this week on bikes. Me and 4 other guys. My son cost me 8 grand in legal fees. So that was cancelled. My friends did something awesome. They're riding out to my house in Ohio (I moved away 4 years ago) to go on a 4 day run across pa, ny, vt, ma, CT, pa then back to Ohio. They'll break off in pa. Eastern PA is where I'm from. I can't wait. We've done Gettysburg bike week the last 10 years. The last 4 I ride out there the 450 miles to meet them and ride the 180 back to Gettysburg. I love the ride. I love just riding with no destination.

In 2017 we're hitting the tail of the Dragon. 9 days. I can't wait.

So ya. I get it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I get what you are saying. Local heavy haul trucker that loves the road and whenever I'm off, I can be found on the bike running the roads and enjoying the good times. Very magical for sure on two wheels. The trucking I do is just to keep me sane between bike trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Disclaimer 1st: Had the time of my life, "more" than I ever expected!!! But, since I've been back I just can't seem to get my head "back in the game". Love my wife more than anyone on earth, mama too,(we take care of her now that the dementia has set in). Have a nice home, plenty to eat, creature comforts, etc.; so I don't want to sound ungrateful, but things just seem anti-climactic now. I'm thinking about the road A LOT!!! Anybody else have this experience? I guess I just needed to vent, thanks for listening.
Yup, been there done that! Every year for last 10 years 6 of us take off for a 2-3 week bike trip. Have a great time every year exploring all over North America but a couple of years ago we explored 3 Provinces and 12 states cutting down through the south of New Mexico and all over hells half acres. Got home and back to work, three weeks later couldn't stand it any more and headed out by myself for a 8,000 km 2 week ride to Ontario to go ridding with my brother. Sometimes it is hard to stop ridding but I still have to work to support my habit!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
In 2017 we're hitting the tail of the Dragon. 9 days. I can't wait.

So ya. I get it.
If you can you should plan your Dragon trip around Shark Week VII which is going to be in Cherokee, N.C. next year in July. The Dragon ride will be part of it.

Regardless of that if you've never been to SW after you go there's a good chance you won't miss another one!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. A few weeks ago, we got back from a 9 day road trip from Florida to North Carolina by way of Athens, Helen GA, Robbinsville, Maggie Valley then to Asheville NC. Last day of the trip on the way back and during a torrential downpour (still better than a day in the office), I leaned back to my better half, and told her I was feeling bummed that it was coming to an end. She shared my sentiment. Once back home, had 5 to 6 days of relentless rain, but managed to get a short ride in during a break here and there. Three weeks later and still feening for a ride, I got in 350 miles this past weekend...ahhhhh...So yeah, got that wanderlust and the desire to ride along with the withdrawal symptoms. Gotta say though, there's no place like home, but still looking forward to the next trip. Big smile crossed my face when I saw that the Shark Week VII will be in NC. Enjoyed it so much, might just have to make another trip that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup, been there done that! Every year for last 10 years 6 of us take off for a 2-3 week bike trip. Have a great time every year exploring all over North America but a couple of years ago we explored 3 Provinces and 12 states cutting down through the south of New Mexico and all over hells half acres. Got home and back to work, three weeks later couldn't stand it any more and headed out by myself for a 8,000 km 2 week ride to Ontario to go ridding with my brother. Sometimes it is hard to stop ridding but I still have to work to support my habit!
Yeah fun for you but what about the guys who ride with you? >:)

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you mean amigo - I have been down to the Dragon a few times and now, as much as I love it, I know the feelings I will have on "That Monday" when I get home and think "last week at this time I was________" and for me, it gets even worse when I try and ride my local roads after - THAT is what kills me, when I head out here at home and still have the twists and no traffic movie playing in my head pictures and then reality smacks my mug to wake to traffic and stop lights.......then I almost just don't want to even ride anymore

·
Registered
55 Posts
Luckily for me a live within a few hours of the Dragon and there are many, many other great rides in that general area (Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner 28, Blue Ridge Parkway, others). Have a great bunch of guys I ride with regularly in NE Georgia, Eastern Tennessee, and Western North Carolina.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I get it and understand exactly what you mean. Always planning something on the bike, day trip, or multi-day trips when I get them (sometimes solo, sometimes with my wife...just depends on the kids and if we get time away together or not). Always wish I was still riding when I get home. Live through pictures/memories of past rides until the next one comes along and new pictures/memories are created.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I spent 13 days going to and coming home from Shark Week. As much as we were planning for months on end. Got up for work Monday morning and gave a big WTF!!! 😱😱😱 Just couldn't believe it was over already. Already looking forward to a fall road trip.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I understand completely. We spent 23 days on the road to and from SWVI. One day was 766 miles and as tired as I was when we rolled into that hotel that night I was thinking" damn I don't want to quit riding" Monday sucked when I was back at work and reality hit. Already planned a couple of weekender trips coming up soon. Nothing like a bike trip.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Leaving next Thursday with 2 others for a trip out to Colorado for 2 weeks. Can't wait! There will be the long hot days across Mo and Kansas, but I know once we're in the mountains all will be right with the world!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Every year!!!!!! Sounds great; unfortunately my wallet is not that "fat" :laugh: My wife has been a huge help; she sets up a day where she can get her studies in & take care of momma and tells me to "get lost" :D 175-200 mi. days have eased the pain. In case I haven't said it, I really love my lady!!! PsychoCycle, hope to meet ya at SW VII

1 - 20 of 27 Posts