Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow Road Gliders. It has been a little while since I havce been on the board, lots of things going on. One of the things that I have been doing is planning a trip to go see a buddy out in Nevada. A while back and on a different forum, a buddy introduced me to a road that is supposed to be the "Mecca" of all motorcycle roads. Now I cannot either confirm nor deny his claim as I have never ridden the road. The road that I am inquiring about is
Hwy. 36 in California. Is this road really that great or is it an over hyped everyday ride?

As I had said, I have never ridden this road but would like to based off of what a friend has said about it. If you have pictures of your trip on this road, please share them as I would like to get a feel for what this road has to offer. I am also looking forward to any stories that you can share about your time on Hwy 36. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have ridden this road a total of 4 times. It's leaves out of Red Bluff and takes you over the mountains where it drops you out onto the coast near Eureka(135 miles one way)......and yes it is as good as they say it is BUT.....

The first 10-15 miles is open range and there are a LOT of cattle roaming around and ACROSS the road. There is a general store/deli at the top that has gas and some pretty damn good sandwiches also :D

I have also ridden and prefer Highway 299 that leaves out of Redding (about 25 miles north of Red Bluff up the 5) and drops you onto the coast just north of Eureka. This road isn't as tight and more free flowing curves PLUS almost half the ride there is a river on either side of you so the scenery is so much better when you have the opportunity to take it all in.

Not far from Red Bluff on the 101 Fwy is "The Avenue of the Giants" where you can ride through an area of Redwoods and actually ride "through" one which makes for a great photo op if there's someone nearby that can snap a pic for you.

You can't go wrong with either the 36 or 299......299 is my preference because I have ridden both.

Good luck with your trip! Have fun and ride safe.....and as always post pics :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ridden this road a total of 4 times. It's leaves out of Red Bluff and takes you over the mountains where it drops you out onto the coast near Eureka(135 miles one way)......and yes it is as good as they say it is BUT.....

The first 10-15 miles is open range and there are a LOT of cattle roaming around and ACROSS the road. There is a general store/deli at the top that has gas and some pretty damn good sandwiches also :D

I have also ridden and prefer Highway 299 that leaves out of Redding (about 25 miles north of Red Bluff up the 5) and drops you onto the coast just north of Eureka. This road isn't as tight and more free flowing curves PLUS almost half the ride there is a river on either side of you so the scenery is so much better when you have the opportunity to take it all in.

Not far from Red Bluff on the 101 Fwy is "The Avenue of the Giants" where you can ride through an area of Redwoods and actually ride "through" one which makes for a great photo op if there's someone nearby that can snap a pic for you.

You can't go wrong with either the 36 or 299......299 is my preference because I have ridden both.

Good luck with your trip! Have fun and ride safe.....and as always post pics :D
As of now. it looks like I am going to have to take 395 from Reno Nevada to hook onto 36. I think that I will ride 36 to Eureka then maybe hit 299 on my way back to Reno. That will pounding on a lot of miles. Got to love it.

do you have any pictures to share of 299?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I was on 36 last fall. Of the roads I've been on it's in my top 5 or 10 for sure. The eastern part of it is like a rollercoaster - up, down and around. It's a lot of fun and if you're anywhere near, you should ride it.

One other poster mentioned 299, which is also a great road. If it were me, I'd make a loop out of 36 and 299 and do them both. I'd make it a two day ride and stay out on the coast. It can be hotter than Hell in Redding, besides the north Cali coast is beautiful.

I've got a few pics from 36 and 299 that I'll look for when I get on my home computer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was on 36 last fall. Of the roads I've been on it's in my top 5 or 10 for sure. The eastern part of it is like a rollercoaster - up, down and around. It's a lot of fun and if you're anywhere near, you should ride it.

One other poster mentioned 299, which is also a great road. If it were me, I'd make a loop out of 36 and 299 and do them both. I'd make it a two day ride and stay out on the coast. It can be hotter than Hell in Redding, besides the north Cali coast is beautiful.

I've got a few pics from 36 and 299 that I'll look for when I get on my home computer.
Hey, I am in the planning stage now suggestions always welcome. Pictures are always cool.:cool:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'll dig into my library of pics and see what I can come up with.....I agree on staying near the coast......it DOES get hot on the east side of the mountains.

I have been there and made a 1000 mile in 3 days and yes it was a haul going through those roads......it was fun and exhausting at the same time :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts