Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today I went out to put a hidden antenna in from J and M. The antenna seems to work well, because up to now, the bike had NO antenna.

Getting it off was horrible. I found that there are these two claws on the frame that hook into two slots in the front of the outer faring. These things HAVE to be used. So I FINALLY learn to lift up as I tug (Thank You youtube) and it came off. Getting in on was even worse. I had to go back to Youtube and I also called a friend who is a HD mechanic by trade and education. The matter was made even worse because I have DayMakers and they have a giant heatsink on the back which eats up room in the fairing.

So Here is my step by step to removing the fairing and getting it back on; How I wish I would have done it, and the way I will do it next time if I have to.

Remove the trim ring from in front of the headlights. It is held in by 4 tabs, two on the top, two on the bottom. you have to use something that is thin, yet stron to pry down on the beauty ring and up on the fairing at the same time to unlock the tabs. The ones on the bottom will hinge out after that.

Remove both headlights. If you have Daymakers, there will be a orange-white stripe wire. You will have to cut it.

The headlight support is held in by three green push nuts that sit in the main fairing. reach in and press from side to side to release them. This removes the headlight mounting tabl.

Now you can see the claw things I was talking about.

Remove the windscreen.

Remove the turn signals. Here is the ting with the turn signals. The wires for them are really long and as soon as you have the outer fairing loose a little bit they will snake right out and fall. they will not hit the ground but it will be close and they will be more than happy to roll a sucff in your fender. (My heart was in my throat for a second). So at this point, tape them to the fairing supports with electrical tape. Also, there are two washers here that you will not see because they are recessed in the fairing support, but they are there and will fall out the minute the turn signal is removed so pay attention for them.

Remove the six screws that hold the inner and outer fairing together. The two longer ones go in the bottom.

Watching the two claws, lift up and pull out.

To reinstall:

Center the outer fairing near to the inner. Watching the two slots lift up and push back and let the outer fairng drop over the claws. You can see if there are things in your way by looking through the headlight holes.

There are tabs all the way around the fairing. Snap the inner over the outer to get a good, clean matchup all the way around.

Mount your turn signals.

OK, now we will have to make a "Y" adapter for that orange/ white tracer we cut. Crimp two male spades on the pigtails of the lights. make up a Y adapter use good automotive wire and crimp a male on the end where both pieces come together and a female on the end of each piece.

Press your headlight mount into place, make sure all three green nuts snap all the way in.

connect the y adapter you just make to the female of the orange/ white stripe and run one end out each hole.

Connect and bolt in your headlights.

Snap the beauty ring in. This part just takes judicious use of force. you can get the lowers started, and then just bump things with the palm of your hand.

install the 6 screws.

install the windsheild.

Done.

Hope this helps out somebody else.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
You would have better luck removing the headlights and nacelle if you remove the 6 screws holding the inner to outer and then raise the outer fairing and pull out to get your hands in the inside to release the headlight plugs. Then you can remove the headlights and nacelle from the inside. My nacelle is painted and I don't want to damage the paint by trying to get it off by prying on it from the outside. I can't think of what you cut as I don't have the daymakers. You should never need to cut wiring harness......:D

You shouldn't have to remove your windshield either.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't have Daymakers, but I haven't had any issues removing the outer with the lights in. My issues came with reinstalling. I usually go ahead and take the headlights out before reinstalling. In another thread on the forum I figured out that the individual lights can be removed from the backing plate. It added a step, but I took out one of the headlights so I could make sure none of the wiring was caught on the headlight adjusting screws, etc. There may be an easier way, but it works for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing is certain. I am not going to pull the fairing again any time soon. This is one to outsource, believe me.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The outer fairing removal & installation is soooooo easy. Take it off a few more time and you get use to it and you will learn the right procedures and short cuts. Taking the fairing off takes 10 min and putting it back on takes 15 min.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
No need at all to remove the windshield, it is only attached to the outer fairing, leave it there.

Each bike seems to be different when it comes to ease of removing/installing the outer fairing, some it almost falls back into the hooks, some leaves you looking for dynamite to "really fix it"!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Its all about practice. First time freaked me out and it was a bit hard to get back on.

I've had that damn thing off and on so much now I could do it blindfolded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts