Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning trip next year and trying to decide whether to go up through W. Va or up to Pittsburgh and over. Which is the better/scenic ride. Never been to Pittsburgh or through W. VA.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I didn't look at a map but check and see if US 250 is anywhere close to you. You can take it the whole way to an hour south of Cleveland. Pretty good riding on the Ohio leg of it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
you could ride into northern WV near the Md border and pick up 68 across northern WV into Morgantown , from there you can either head north into Pittsburgh on 79 or pick up 250 which will bring you into Ohio on a nice scenic 2 lane , alot depends on your time frame for the ride. I know 68 across northern WV is a nice scenic ride I have done it a couple times when headed to Norfolk a few years back.
Whatever route you pick have a great trip.

Eagle

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
85 Posts
Route 219 through West Virginia is a wonderful well paved, curvy, scenic road. I highly recommend it. You pass by Wind Turbines that are so close to the road it looks like you're going into a blender. It's an awesome sight. Just got back from trip using that route.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you could ride into northern WV near the Md border and pick up 68 across northern WV into Morgantown , from there you can either head north into Pittsburgh on 79 or pick up 250 which will bring you into Ohio on a nice scenic 2 lane , alot depends on your time frame for the ride. I know 68 across northern WV is a nice scenic ride I have done it a couple times when headed to Norfolk a few years back.
Whatever route you pick have a great trip.

Eagle
Great info thanks!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Keep the thread alive as you figure things out. Might be some members that will meet up and ride part of the way with you. Always nice to have a leader on an unfamiliar road.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
25 Posts
Take US220 north out of Roanoke to Warm Springs; then Rt39 west to US92 at Minnehaha Springs; then US92 north to Bartow where it meets US250; take US92/250 to Huttonsville where US219 joins in; then stay on US219north all the way thru Maryland to I68; I68 will take you west over to Morgantown where you can hit I79 north to I70 and on to Cleveland.
Optional---(my recommendation) stay on US219 north out of Elkins to US50 just barely into Maryland, and take US50 west to Parkersburg, where you can hit I77 northwest towards Cleveland. This stretch of US50 is really nice for bikes.
On US92, you'll have the Cass Scenic (steam) Railroad, the observatory with all the super large telescopes at Green Bank, and another scenic railroad in Durbin & Elkins, world class fly fishing on the Shavers Fork/Cheat River going over Cheat Mtn.
Lots of places to stay overnight at Elkins. Bridgeport/Clarksburg areas are crowded due to frac-drilling, so reserve ahead of time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take US220 north out of Roanoke to Warm Springs; then Rt39 west to US92 at Minnehaha Springs; then US92 north to Bartow where it meets US250; take US92/250 to Huttonsville where US219 joins in; then stay on US219north all the way thru Maryland to I68; I68 will take you west over to Morgantown where you can hit I79 north to I70 and on to Cleveland.
Optional---(my recommendation) stay on US219 north out of Elkins to US50 just barely into Maryland, and take US50 west to Parkersburg, where you can hit I77 northwest towards Cleveland. This stretch of US50 is really nice for bikes.
On US92, you'll have the Cass Scenic (steam) Railroad, the observatory with all the super large telescopes at Green Bank, and another scenic railroad in Durbin & Elkins, world class fly fishing on the Shavers Fork/Cheat River going over Cheat Mtn.
Lots of places to stay overnight at Elkins. Bridgeport/Clarksburg areas are crowded due to frac-drilling, so reserve ahead of time.
Great info sounds like a great route

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
68 thru western Maryland and WV to Morgantown is one of the better superslabs, but if you prefer backroads you can pickup 33 off of 81 near Harrisonburg, VA and meander your way towards Elkins as suggested by someone else. That area of WV has wonderful scenery. You could pickup 32 or 72 to get to 219. This will take you thru Caanan Valley. Blackwater Falls State Park is a nice stopping point for some great scenery. 219 will take you right thru Deep Creek Lake in MD which is real nice. You can follow 219 and pickup route 40 to Uniontown, PA which is another nice road.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Even though it's a super slab, one of my favorite roads is I-77 West Virginia Turnpike. Some great sweeping, banked turns that are exhilarating. Once it stops being the turnpike though, it's just a boring super slab.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts