Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a little better sound out of the ride (on a budget) but I'm largely a noob when it comes to amps and such. I've picked up on here that the PBR300X2 is better thought of than the 4 channel variant. Really? Is the difference that big? I've not picked out speakers yet, but just came across a PBR300X4 that I could trade for. As of right now I plan on running a 2-speaker only setup. Can I use a 4 channel amp with only two speakers? I was told there may be a switch or something. Would I be better off holding out for a PBR300X2? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Get the 4 channel , if you got a deal. I just bought the 2 channel for $ 139 but would have gotten the 4 channel if I got a deal. The four channel is a good amp and can power only 2 speakers if you wish.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! Is it as simple as not hooking up 2 channels or is there a switch? I'm sure I can get documentation but the 4 channel I'm looking at doesn't come with any.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
Go on the Rockford Fosgate web site. They have down loads for all the amps.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Anybody have the RF amp running? Happy with it? I really wanted to go Hawg Wired until they said they had no amp/speaker combo for the tour pak pods. J&M would be second choice, but they seem to be pricey for similar gear.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trying to get a little better sound out of the ride (on a budget) but I'm largely a noob when it comes to amps and such. I've picked up on here that the PBR300X2 is better thought of than the 4 channel variant. Really? Is the difference that big? I've not picked out speakers yet, but just came across a PBR300X4 that I could trade for. As of right now I plan on running a 2-speaker only setup. Can I use a 4 channel amp with only two speakers? I was told there may be a switch or something. Would I be better off holding out for a PBR300X2? Thanks.
I personally don't know much about amps, but I asked pretty much the same question on another forum and this is the answer I received: "Pbr300x4 = bad for business.

They are known to overheat if you push them. Not to mention that it wouldn't have enough power on two channels to push lid speakers."
Take it for what it is worth, the people saying this are working with these systems often.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am running two RF PBR300X4 in my bike, all gains are set correctly, been in rain storms and 100+ degree heat, never had any issue with them, they never shut down, or had any type of failure. Every body has their own opinions on amps, all I can say is the RF have treated me right so far.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i started with the PBR 300x4. It was ok, but it was not as flexible as the 300x2 in setup. The 300x4 has only a fixed high pass setting of 80Hz or a fixed low pass setting of 120Hz. The 300x2 has adjustable high and low pass settings.

Once I added saddlebag lid speakers, I sold my 300x4 and bought two 300x2's. You can hear a difference between the 300x4 and 300x2, but it is subtle and at speed most will not know the difference.

There were many that had issues with the reliability of the 300x4. I had no problems with mine, but I made sure that I set the gains properly and didn't drive the amp hard for long periods of time.

If you do plan on running more than 2 pairs of speakers, then I don't recommend the 300x4 mainly because it is not stable running at 2 ohms. But if you plan to run 1 or 2 pairs of speakers and you are getting a good price, then it is worth considering. If you are getting it used, then I would make sure that you can return or get your money back if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I personally don't know much about amps, but I asked pretty much the same question on another forum and this is the answer I received: "Pbr300x4 = bad for business.

They are known to overheat if you push them. Not to mention that it wouldn't have enough power on two channels to push lid speakers."
Take it for what it is worth, the people saying this are working with these systems often.
I'm seeing the same reviews on Amazon.com for those installing in FLTR and FLHX fairings. Makes me leery for sure. I've not heard a single complaint about Hawg-Wired. My only concern is no RS series 4-channel amp or speakers for the rear tour pak pods. Could run two RS400s and mod the pods, I suppose. I might start with just the front and see if I need more. I just want better volume and clarity going down the highway. I'm not a parking lot thumper.

Cheers,
G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts