Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how this amp or its brother (4 channel) held up for you guys that ride over the road and in the rain.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have 2 mounted in my fairing an have had no problem with them, over the road, in the rain, and in heat of the summer. The key is to get the gains adjusted properly, and if using a factory HK head unit, turn the volume up to 3/4 and use that as your max volume to adjust the amp gains accordingly. The HK head unit gets real distorted output signal above 3/4 volume, so it gives a distorted input into the amp which output from amp will be a distorted signal into the speakers, and also creates more heat in amps. RF amps are solid, and dependable, as long as installation and adjustments are correct.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have 2 mounted in my fairing an have had no problem with them, over the road, in the rain, and in heat of the summer. The key is to get the gains adjusted properly, and if using a factory HK head unit, turn the volume up to 3/4 and use that as your max volume to adjust the amp gains accordingly. The HK head unit gets real distorted output signal above 3/4 volume, so it gives a distorted input into the amp which output from amp will be a distorted signal into the speakers, and also creates more heat in amps. RF amps are solid, and dependable, as long as installation and adjustments are correct.
Stripclub, I'm looking at this amp, and I just got a Sony head unit. any suggestions on adjusting the gains with that set up? Also have Hogtunes 5x7 speakers in the fairing. Thanks for any advice.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I've had both the 300×4 and the 300x2, both are ok, IMO the 300x2 is the better of the two, no problem with rain, etc. My gripe with the amps was heat and power supply. For the price they are good, I personally would go with Soundstream for the same price range, I guess it kind of like do you want Ford or Chevy, both get the job done.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have both mounted in My fairing.. I had to have the x4 replaced due to corrosion , It was warrantied without any problems, But it was also never exposed directly to any water .

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had both the 300×4 and the 300x2, both are ok, IMO the 300x2 is the better of the two, no problem with rain, etc. My gripe with the amps was heat and power supply. For the price they are good, I personally would go with Soundstream for the same price range, I guess it kind of like do you want Ford or Chevy, both get the job done.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Amazon got them for $ 139

·
Registered
444 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but can I run a four channel amp with just my front speakers? Reason I ask is because all I keep finding on eBay is the four channel amps. Thanks.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but can I run a four channel amp with just my front speakers? Reason I ask is because all I keep finding on eBay is the four channel amps. Thanks.
Not a dumb question at all. Yes you can use a 4 channel amp for just two speakers.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
444 Posts
Cool. Thank you. I was thinking four channel might be better for down the road if I decide (can afford) speaker lids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts