Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to pull the fairing anyhow to try to see if I can get the display working on my original HK head unit. Plays fine, but no display. Found a thread here so I am going to try to repair. I don't feel like spending a fortune on stereo upgrades, but I would like to be able to hear it better at speed and reduce the clipping/distortion so I found a really good price on ebay for the RF plug n play kit, 61/2 speakers and a small amp and mount. Pulled the trigger, hoping it arrives today so I can get it installed this weekend before hitting some *gasp* sixties and seventies next week here in Chiraq. Hopefully I can beat the ADD enough to take some pics and map the install and see how much improvement I get. Kind of cool, the ol' lady took off end of last summer and me and the kids are hanging out, have a whole new interest in my scooter without the bitchy nagging going on. Big plans, starting with this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap...so I follow the thread on fixing the dead display on the other forum. Pics, good instructions. Get it apart and my unit is NOT the same as the one in the pic, connectors are similar but not identical. I am now trying to figure out what ones to tweak to make a better connect, but really lost the mojo since I am now flying by the seat of my pants. I had such high hopes, fixed a dead display in my old 'vette by using a internet post like this and saved a grand and a half, but this one just isn't matching. I think I am going to take a break and finish tomorrow, see if it got fixed. Otherwise it is gonna be a week at iron cross.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So took it all out, gently pried up the connectors that were a little different than the pics in the other forum thread. Put it back together and turned it on and the freakin' radio plays but display still deader than Julius Caeser. I found a deal on Iron Cross repair on ebay, so bought that an will ship off the radio asap. Every little thing adds up to be more than I ever plan on. I did find a hidden antennae in the fairing so at least I have that figured out. I was going to throw on some China daymakers but I think the extra costs are killing that idea.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Good luck and hang in there. You'll get it right. I know you would rather be riding and jamming but it will happen.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So took it all out, gently pried up the connectors that were a little different than the pics in the other forum thread. Put it back together and turned it on and the freakin' radio plays but display still deader than Julius Caeser. I found a deal on Iron Cross repair on ebay, so bought that an will ship off the radio asap. Every little thing adds up to be more than I ever plan on. I did find a hidden antennae in the fairing so at least I have that figured out. I was going to throw on some China daymakers but I think the extra costs are killing that idea.
You are not the only one that always underestimates a project!!! Everything I seem to do hits some kind of snag or doesnt turn out quite like I want it. Its all part of the fun of working on bikes, cars and houses. At least thats what I tell myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are not the only one that always underestimates a project!!! Everything I seem to do hits some kind of snag or doesnt turn out quite like I want it. Its all part of the fun of working on bikes, cars and houses. At least thats what I tell myself.
Yup. I guess if I had Donald Trump money I would be missing out on all that fun :crying:....stuck with riding and chasing questionable women.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I finally got the Amp and speaker kit in. I'm amazed the people who say it's the same as stock, in my opinion it made a huge difference sounds much much better. Louder, clear, better bass and better highs. Not a multi thousand dollar audiophile system but seems to be exactly what I wanted for a reasonable investment. The install on the other hand, wow. Amazed Harley did such questionable engineering on this bike. The fairing reinstall was awful, had to leave the headlight out and click it back in afterward which finally worked. Lining up the fairing to inner faring was a real joy too, pretty cheesy to use six plastic to plastic screws in my opinion, especially as fairing has to come off for every headlight change. I finally left it as "good enough" since it will be coming off...again...for bars and LED headlights before long. As for the installation video I saw, not near as simple as that portrayed, don't know how I got the idea but I was under impression all that needed to come off was the dash. Had to get the tank off to run with the main wiring harness. I was quite impressed with iron Cross audio however, they did a beautiful job revamping the radio that had a dead display, everything works perfect now.

On the doing really really stupid things side, LOL, the guy who had the bike before me cut out the battery strap so the battery was a bear to get out. I eventually got the bright idea to put the screws back in terminals and lock a couple zip ties to them but still could not get enough purchase. Then the brilliant idea struck! I had some mechanic wire laying around, decided "just make a handle". Yes, I hear the collective groans, apparently I am that stupid. Wrap it around one terminal, start to wrap around the other and smelled the burning flesh on my thumb as the wire I am holding immediately heated to welding temperatures and seared a blistering furrow across my right thumb pad. Guess it wouldn't be a project without a scar for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts