Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the RG RF kit on my 2012 RG. I took it for a 20 min ride and noticed i wasn't getting any FM stations. I then pulled the fairing off and noticed the metal back covers on the speakers were melting off. System was installed exactly the way the instructions called for. I called RF and they didn't seem to care at all. This could have caused a fire and they just said to call Shopatron. After 5 days of getting the run around I was able to return it through shopatrons website, because they will not answer the phone. Just wanted to warn you guys about this. In Sturgis this year the RF techs said this never happens. However other techs advised the RF amps get hot enough to melt wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the warning! I was thinking about getting this kit. Guess I will go with my gut and get either the Diamond or Arc audio,

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Your First Post On This Great Forum.

And it's to rip on RF products.

Sounds like the amp was not properly set.

Thanks for the heads up on making sure the amp is properly installed and tuned.

Hope you get it figured out and why don't you say hi as a newbie verse ripping a product for you first post.

Many have that kit and many are happy with it.

Just my dime.

Welcome

Swomack

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Tell him Swo!
Well Shit

175 Views and there was only one remark.

It's like come here and start a bitch session on RF before even posting a hello.

http://www.roadglide.org/44-new-members-welcome-area/

Sorry guys, I'm no to trying slam this new member but as a first post, I think just struck me wrong.

You audio guys could tell use what might have
happened.

Maybe the gain on the amp was turned to high.

???

Swomack

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your First Post On This Great Forum.

And it's to rip on RF products.

Sounds like the amp was not properly set.

Thanks for the heads up on making sure the amp is properly installed and tuned.

Hope you get it figured out and why don't you say hi as a newbie verse ripping a product for you first post.

Many have that kit and many are happy with it.

Just my dime.

Welcome

Swomack
I agree, you don't have to rip anyone, and companies aren't liable for damage to their product, only defects to the product you receive.

That being said, I've been putting stereos together for a LONG LONG time, and I've NEVER seen that happen before!

Secondly, not to hi-jack the thread; but Swomack, love the stand, I need one, where did you get it?

-G

·
Registered
6,455 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well hello everybody, I was just trying to give a friendly heads up on my experience. Guess I picked the wrong site to share my information. Amp set properly, I verified it over the phone with a tech, and my local custom audio store. I am sure plenty of people are getting good results with this system and I would have been happy to just swap out the speakers or amp or whatever a RF tech would have recommended. However, their only response was "call shopatron". I brought this up at several audio booths in Sturgis and our local shops, all of them have said to stay away from RF. Anyhow, this was just a heads up for guys that are spending hard earned money on their RG.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I'm not sure what else a manufacture with a dealer network is supposed to tell you. You nearly always have to deal with problems through the place you purchased from. Case in point, I had a Dunlop defect on my sportbike and had to send it back to the online store instead of Dunlop for a replacement. Huge inconvenience. But Dunlop isn't going to listen to every customer problem out there. It's the dealers responsibilty to contact the manufacture and handle the warranty...if there is one. Generally speaking, most people don't like First post product bashing. It can very easily seem like trolling. When you meet people you usually say hello and offer your name, maybe a little small talk. But hey, you roll however you want.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My brain is fried. Who's the stereo guru from Dallas thats always on here? Curios as to what he thinks about this. Anything man made can f up. Been dealing with Rockford for many many years and have always loved their products.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My brain is fried. Who's the stereo guru from Dallas thats always on here? Curios as to what he thinks about this. Anything man made can f up. Been dealing with Rockford for many many years and have always loved their products.
I was in contact with the guy from dallas last spring. He has just lost his building his business was in. (landlord sold the building)
He told me he was taking the summer off so that he could get some riding in for once. Told me that he may start the business back up in October or so.

I've lost his contact info, so I hope he will respond here as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts