Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got tired of listening to the top end of the 103 tick all the time and bought the Rockouts Rocker Shaft Inserts.
Wow!! it took away the tick like they said it would.
I don't usually believe in the hype on most products but for me this met the hype.
It's a shame Harley never addressed the issue, such a simple fix.
Took my time and did it in 4 hours total.
There is another brand out there and from what I read on another forum the 2 guys that came up with the fix split and went their separate ways. Both offer a fix for the issue.
This kit seemed like it was a little better and it was cheaper as well.
Highly recommend it. so nice to have a tick free engine.
Now to try it on my old Twinkie 88" Dyna.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I went with the "Rocker Lockers".....seemed like 6 of one / half dozen of another .........but it made a difference. I can't believe that mechanics don't install these automatically on every bike when they're apart. My guy who had been wrenching for 30 years had never heard of them......wtf?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Solution in search of a problem if you ask me. I’ve installed them in several bikes for friends. ONLY by their request and not by my recommendation. Made not one bit of a difference for any of them. In every bike that I’ve installed them in there were no witness marks even showing that the rocker shaft had been rotating in the rocker support, therefore no source of noise that the rocker lockers could have resolved. IF you do think that you have an issue, pull the rocker bolts and check for witness marks BEFORE you order the rocker lockers. No marks equals no resolution to ticking. Most likely the sounds that you are hearing are normal valves closing. Complete waste of money. Don’t always believe what the internet says. Besides, they are a bitch to remove if you ever have the need to do so.

I’d bet that the vast majority of buyers that swear by them are great candidates for placebo testing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solution in search of a problem if you ask me. I’ve installed them in several bikes for friends. ONLY by their request and not by my recommendation. Made not one bit of a difference for any of them. In every bike that I’ve installed them in there were no witness marks even showing that the rocker shaft had been rotating in the rocker support, therefore no source of noise that the rocker lockers could have resolved. IF you do think that you have an issue, pull the rocker bolts and check for witness marks BEFORE you order the rocker lockers. No marks equals no resolution to ticking. Most likely the sounds that you are hearing are normal valves closing. Complete waste of money. Don’t always believe what the internet says. Besides, they are a bitch to remove if you ever have the need to do so.

I’d bet that the vast majority of buyers that swear by them are great candidates for placebo testing.
Well I will have to respectfully disagree.
I had no witness marks and like I said it made a huge difference and the 2 guys that were hanging out with me as I did the install heard the difference as well.
Both have now done theirs as well, one had the witness marks and the other did not and both are much quieter.
If that is the Placebo effect then I am good with it.
You says they are a bitch to remove...Why would I ever have to remove them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You says they are a bitch to remove...Why would I ever have to remove them?[/QUOTE]

Looks like the inserts must be removed before the rocker shaft can be removed from the housing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
They Work

I installed the rockouts and they made a difference in the top end noise on my RGU. I've also heard some say that they didn't make a difference, but more than not, most hear a difference. The time it takes to remove the top end just to see if you have wear marks, doesn't hurt to try and they are pretty inexpensive compared to other mods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts