Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rode 6 Countries in 1 Week...Pics!!

...Sounds pretty awesome, and it was, but not quite so Ewen McGregor-ish. I’m stationed in Germany, so riding through multiple countries is a breeze. For my 40th birthday, the wife and I decided to knock out one of my bucket list rides, Stelvio Pass, Italy (aka Passo dello Stelvio or Stilfser Joch) – the highest paved road in Eastern Alps at a touch over 9,000’ feet. Just Google it, the road is nuts and there’s a great Top Gear episode with them driving the pass (if you’re into that show). We figured that we’d just take the week off and make a ride through Bavaria, into Austria, then through Stelvio Pass and spend a couple leisurely days in/around Lake Garda, Italy. On the way home we rode back up through Italy, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, stopping in Lake Constance (aka Bodensee, the 3rd largest lake in Central Europe, boarding Switzerland, Austria, and Germany). The final push home was through Southern Germany, the eastern part of France, then back into Germany towards Frankfurt. We were going to hit Luxembourg as well to make it seven countries in a week, but the wife – the trooper she is – was ready to get back home. Admittedly, I was a little smoked too, but don’t tell her that.

In any case, the motorcycle angels were amongst us and kept us safe and sound the entire trip and Murphy also kept himself at bay. Garmin Zumo and Tour Pak were my best friends on the ride as well!

Like most trips, you hate to stop every 10 minutes to snap photos so we don’t have a ton. I shan’t pass blame on who forgot the charger to the camera, but it did not make the journey with us. Bummer. We all know posts are worthless without pictures, so here are a few. Enjoy the pictures and your own summer motorcycle destination(s), wherever they may be!

Imst, Austria. This is their "Apline Coaster" - over 2 miles of downhill pleasure...especially after partaking in the bar at the end of the lift!

The view from atop of Imst, Austria.

My two favorite gals. Lago di Resia, Italy

Panoramic of Lago di Resia

Rifugio Passo, Italy

Lunch break in Tirano, Italy. The BMW was so jealous of the Shark! Let's just say of the hundres of bikes I saw during the week, I could count the number of FL's I saw on one hand, and zero Road Glides!!

Continued.....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Riding up Stelvio Pass. There was a dude taking pictures on the way up, and here's what he snapped. The Mrs. is having a blast... And yep, that's snow up there!

A view from Stelvio Pass looking Northeast (this is the way we came up). I can attest to the fact that the V&H Power Duals most definitely scrape! :D

This was the reward at the end of the day's ride through Stelvio -- the view from our hotel in Riva del Garda (Lake Garda, Italy)

Another reward...dinner!!!

A view of the northern portion of Lake Garda. If you look closely, just above the masts of the sailboats, you can see the road that cuts through the mountain. Epic drive.

Continued....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the final pic. I spent my birthday on top of Monte Baldo, Malcesine, Italy, with a bottle of wine, cheese, meats and crackers, and my lovely wife. La Dolce Vita.

Enjoy!
Mike D

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Wow, great views, looks like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Incredible photos! I drove all through there when stationed in Germany years ago but never had a bike there. I can only imagine how thrilling that must be! Thanks for the great shots, write-up & memories!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
440 Posts
That trip looked to be a dream. I have looked at an organized tour ride, one of the big names, and have that on my bucket list. Seems the trip I want covers many of the same roads and areas you traveled.
Beautiful bike too.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That sounds like an awesome trip, Congrats.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Awesome pics! I know you guys had a blast. I was stationed in Naples in the late 90's and we took a summer vacation to go up to northern Italy, Austria and Germany. We camped at the AFRC Campgrounds in Garmisch for about a week when we had only planned to stay the 3 or 4 days. We loved it so much we just couldn't leave. Thanks for sharing your experience and thank you for your service! :D

Ken~

P.S. Feel free to send some of that Caprese salad this way! I miss the real buffalo mozz!

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
Absolutely Beautiful! That looks like some awesome riding roads, JEALOUS.

What a way to spend your birthday, congrats on another year older and wiser.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Looks like the ride of a lifetime! As previously said...you will NEVER forget this birthday. Awesome. Thanks for sharing... I was stationed outside Frankfurt in the mid 80s and did a lot of traveling, but sans motorcycle. I'd love to go back and ride the autobahn and the Italian alps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the nice comments!! I was stationed in Europe before, but sold my bike before coming over. I kept saying I would get another one during that tour but life kept getting in the way and it didn't happen. I always regretted it. This time around, I was shipping my bike out here come hell or high water!!! Even so, it's still hard to find time to just plan a trip and get your ass out on the road for a while, so I was glad to finally turn talk of "one of these days" into our ride last week. On my birthday was just a perk.

For what it's worth, to FLTRU103 or CNIDOG, I'll be out here for another two years. If you decide to make your trip over the pond drop me a line -- you've got a ridding buddy.

@ reds4, "La Dolce Vida" is Italian and literally translates to "the sweet life" but has the same meaning as our term "the good life."

Mike

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome pics! I know you guys had a blast. I was stationed in Naples in the late 90's and we took a summer vacation to go up to northern Italy, Austria and Germany. We camped at the AFRC Campgrounds in Garmisch for about a week when we had only planned to stay the 3 or 4 days. We loved it so much we just couldn't leave. Thanks for sharing your experience and thank you for your service! :D

Ken~

P.S. Feel free to send some of that Caprese salad this way! I miss the real buffalo mozz!
Thanks for the comments. Garmisch-Partenkirchen is awesome and I go there a few times a year. Since you mentioned Caprese, I thought you'd get a kick out of this picture. As you can see, they kind of skimped on the basil so my wife asked for "a little extra." Here's what they brought her. After seeing that, I asked for "a little extra" vino rosso...:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
I want to crush those twisties at Stelvio Pass!!!! I watched that Top Gear episode and was thinking it would be awesome on the RG!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow that brings back memories. In 2002 my wife and I spent 18 days riding the Alps on an Eletra Glide Ultra Classic. Started in Frankfort and hit Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy and Austria. Over 3,500 miles in all. There were days when we did 4-5 passes like Stelvio. The trip of a lifetime. We have been hoping to go back one day!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts