Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a road trip, but don't know where else to post it. So a colleague at work has been trying really hard to find a bike to buy, HD. I've really been working him on the RG, but alas he decided he wanted to get a street glide. Last Friday he asked me if I would go look at an '09 black street glide. After giving him the appropriate level of shit for buying the most popular/common/stereotypical bike possible I agreed. He has ridden, but it's been 10-12 years, and he was a crotch rocket guy. I looked the bike over the best my non-professional eyes could. It only has 13500 miles, with the original rear tire. The front was a couple of years old because of a nail. The tread on the bike still looked decent, I wouldn't hesitate based on the wear to ride it , but suggested he get new shoes anyway because of them being so old. The guy selling is about 70, a couple pieces of chrome and pipes, that's about it. As I'm looking it over the old guy tosses me the keys and says, take it for a spin. I say ok, take it around the neighborhood and on one main street, get it up to about 60, no more than a mile ride. Everything feels good, I'm pleasantly surprised how nimble it feels. Mike buys it. Today is the day he was finalizing the deal at the bank. He was going to ride it home, but asked if I would since he doesn't have his endorsement yet, not even his permit since he let it lapse. I agree. We didn't beat the rain, so I had to ride it about 10 miles in a light rain. Again, really surprised how well it handled and felt so much smaller than my Ultra. Now to the point of my story, I used to own a batwing, '96 Electra Glide Classic with a tour pak. I went from it to my 11 RGU. I've been thinking about a bike for me solo, hadn't really considered a street glide or RG custom/non ultra. My question to those with experience, is the lack of a tour pack the main reason the bike felt so much nimbler and smaller? Could the lower rear end be what felt so different? I love my Ultra, especially with the better half and road tripping love the space the tour pak gives. I wasn't really expecting that much of a difference, but it was really significant. Now I want to find a RG custom or special to ride to see what it feels like.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Food for thought. It's not that difficult to remove the tour pak, take it off and try it out. But I guess if you could find a custom to ride it would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I went from a 2010 EG to a 2016 FLTRU.

The FLTRU is miles nimbler than the EG. The tour pak does make a huge difference but the frame mount fairing makes the whole bike seem lighter.

I think you will be amazed at how much lighter the RG Special feels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Before you pick another bagger, try a Dyna. I solo-toured on an FXDXT for 12 years. Mine was outfitted with LeatherPros saddle and trunk bags (locking, quick release) and was light, nimble and fast.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before you pick another bagger, try a Dyna. I solo-toured on an FXDXT for 12 years. Mine was outfitted with LeatherPros saddle and trunk bags (locking, quick release) and was light, nimble and fast.
I've been considering this as well, but the more I think about I don't think I will be happy with a non-touring size bike. While not extremely tall, I'm a bigger guy and enjoy being comfortable. I ride my sons 1100 V-Star occasionally, but it feels too small.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I've been considering this as well, but the more I think about I don't think I will be happy with a non-touring size bike. While not extremely tall, I'm a bigger guy and enjoy being comfortable. I ride my sons 1100 V-Star occasionally, but it feels too small.

I was going to suggest a Dyna as well but if you feel that may be too small why not just go with the Road King. Since you already have the best bike in the road glide, I would consider going with the Road King as it is very convertible and will feel even more nimble than either of the fairing bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had an 05 CVO Electraglide with full size tour pack the lowered shocks and springs made a world of difference in how it felt around town. However on a long run 500 to 800 mile days it would wear you down. My '15 Road Glide Ultra is not as "nimble" feeling in town but on long road days in the saddle sweepers and hairpins it way out performs the lowered bike. Just MHO.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I did the detach tour pac and StreetGlide shocks on my 13 RGU so I can have the best of both worlds in about 5 minutes. I can't get over how heavy the handlebars feel when I get stuck with test riding a batwing.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Not really a road trip, but don't know where else to post it. So a colleague at work has been trying really hard to find a bike to buy, HD. I've really been working him on the RG, but alas he decided he wanted to get a street glide. Last Friday he asked me if I would go look at an '09 black street glide. After giving him the appropriate level of shit for buying the most popular/common/stereotypical bike possible I agreed. He has ridden, but it's been 10-12 years, and he was a crotch rocket guy. I looked the bike over the best my non-professional eyes could. It only has 13500 miles, with the original rear tire. The front was a couple of years old because of a nail. The tread on the bike still looked decent, I wouldn't hesitate based on the wear to ride it , but suggested he get new shoes anyway because of them being so old. The guy selling is about 70, a couple pieces of chrome and pipes, that's about it. As I'm looking it over the old guy tosses me the keys and says, take it for a spin. I say ok, take it around the neighborhood and on one main street, get it up to about 60, no more than a mile ride. Everything feels good, I'm pleasantly surprised how nimble it feels. Mike buys it. Today is the day he was finalizing the deal at the bank. He was going to ride it home, but asked if I would since he doesn't have his endorsement yet, not even his permit since he let it lapse. I agree. We didn't beat the rain, so I had to ride it about 10 miles in a light rain. Again, really surprised how well it handled and felt so much smaller than my Ultra. Now to the point of my story, I used to own a batwing, '96 Electra Glide Classic with a tour pak. I went from it to my 11 RGU. I've been thinking about a bike for me solo, hadn't really considered a street glide or RG custom/non ultra. My question to those with experience, is the lack of a tour pack the main reason the bike felt so much nimbler and smaller? Could the lower rear end be what felt so different? I love my Ultra, especially with the better half and road tripping love the space the tour pak gives. I wasn't really expecting that much of a difference, but it was really significant. Now I want to find a RG custom or special to ride to see what it feels like.
Had my tour pak off to put bag guards on and decided to take it for a ride; big difference. Much easier to handle! If I had$$$$$$$$$$$ I'd probably get something else for quick fun runs, but I don't & will not depart w/my RGS. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Get a detach kit for your tour pac. I have a detach chopped tour pac on mine, I only put it on when the other half comes along. I hate it, it's heavy and makes the bike feel like a tank!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not getting rid of my Ultra unless all the furniture is sold, the fridge is empty and they are threatening to take the house. Hell, even then I may just gas her up and let em have the house and become a drifter, who knows.

Anyway thanks for all the input, it's really got me thinking now. May have to find out when the next time the demo trucks are going to be around town.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Scott,

When you come over for Rolling Thunder we'll pop my tour pack off and you can take my ultra for a spin to see the difference.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scott,

When you come over for Rolling Thunder we'll pop my tour pack off and you can take my ultra for a spin to see the difference.
Thanks Greg!!! The quick detach would be a cheaper/smarter route to take, but I'm rarely accused of being very smart.

Can't wait for this trip. Had a new front tire put on Wednesday, the rear was replaced under ESP last summer thanks to a nail. If the damn weather would cooperate I could get the last 900 miles in before I'm due for an oil change/service checklist. Even if I don't get the mileage in I'll change it before we roll. I feel like a 10 year old a couple of weeks before the trip to Disney.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Similar experience with a friend that wanted to buy a Heritage Softail. It's about 300-350 lbs lighter than my Road Glide and it felt so light and nimble in comparison to my (at the time) Road Glide Ultra. Now that I switched to a Rushmore Road Glide Special, the Heritage that my friend bought still feels much lighter and nimbler. The Street Glide that your friend bought is the same basic thing as the Road Glide sans Tour-pak, CB, and other items, so it is lighter. But not as significant as a Heritage Softail. Agree with others, get a detachable tour-pak mounting system and a solo seat and you'll have a nice solo cruiser without the expense of another bike. (I know.... I had 2 bikes for a while and I almost always hopped on the Harley)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I keep toying with the idea of making the Tour Pak removable. The two things holding me back are the lack of a decent-looking way to mount the plate, and the worry that the TP won't be solidly mounted and will make sitting back there uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I keep toying with the idea of making the Tour Pak removable. The two things holding me back are the lack of a decent-looking way to mount the plate, and the worry that the TP won't be solidly mounted and will make sitting back there uncomfortable.
My old EGC had the quick detach kit. It was pretty solid. I have always liked the tour pak look, so never took it off. Over the years the look sans tour pak is growing on me, what can I say, mid life crisis? Anyway over the years it did start "loosening up" a little bit. There are rubber, I guess grommets would be the best word, that the brackets go around. They started to wear after a couple of years, who knows how long they were on there before that. The bike was a 96, I bought it in 2011. Anyway, bought some replacements, about $5 each and it was solid again until I sold it.

My biggest complaint/worry would be I wouldn't have an antenna for the radio, and would have to figure out how to rig up a quick detach for the electrical, as well as find a good way to "hide" it.

Plus I really want a second bike. No logical reason, no real need, pure unadulterated lust.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My old EGC had the quick detach kit. It was pretty solid. I have always liked the tour pak look, so never took it off. Over the years the look sans tour pak is growing on me, what can I say, mid life crisis? Anyway over the years it did start "loosening up" a little bit. There are rubber, I guess grommets would be the best word, that the brackets go around. They started to wear after a couple of years, who knows how long they were on there before that. The bike was a 96, I bought it in 2011. Anyway, bought some replacements, about $5 each and it was solid again until I sold it.
Good to know. I really do like the look without the TP, and it would be nice to be able to remove it when I'm riding locally (as I did with the K16).

My biggest complaint/worry would be I wouldn't have an antenna for the radio, and would have to figure out how to rig up a quick detach for the electrical, as well as find a good way to "hide" it.
I'm already running the Harley hidden antenna, and even still I rarely use the radio. On the Rushmore bikes, all the wiring to the TP has disconnects from the factory. There's literally no wiring to do to remove the TP; you just unplug everything and tuck the wires under the seat. One could literally unplug everything and unbolt the TP and be done with it in about 15 minutes.

Plus I really want a second bike. No logical reason, no real need, pure unadulterated lust.
No explanation necessary. I spent yesterday on this...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to know. I really do like the look without the TP, and it would be nice to be able to remove it when I'm riding locally (as I did with the K16).

I'm already running the Harley hidden antenna, and even still I rarely use the radio. On the Rushmore bikes, all the wiring to the TP has disconnects from the factory. There's literally no wiring to do to remove the TP; you just unplug everything and tuck the wires under the seat. One could literally unplug everything and unbolt the TP and be done with it in about 15 minutes.

No explanation necessary. I spent yesterday on this...

Looks like you are all set to pull the trigger!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts