Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Small group plannin on ridin down to Alexandria, Va. from central Ct. Not interested in doin the highway all the way there. Google maps says its 424 miles and 11 hrs 43 mins. if I choose no highways. Thats less than 40 MPH average ? Anybody done this ride or somethin close ? Lookin for help, suggestions. Thanks

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I rode down last year from just north of Boston. I didn't want to take I-95 down and deal with NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC traffic. The 1-95 route was around 485 miles for us. Instead, I took I-84 to I-684, across the Tappanzee Bridge and down the other side of the river. Eventually we were off the highway in PA., but it was 560 miles down on a nice hot day! When we got off the highway on to some back roads, we got stuck behind the school busses. All in all, to do the 560 miles took just about 12 hours, and that's a mix of highway and back roads, lunch stop, gas stops, etc. Also, one stop to put the rain gear on and then drive 80 miles in the pouring rain....but then, that's another story.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I would ride the western run also, avoiding NYC/NJ--but I-95 is probably still fastest/shortest. Last year a group of us from Dover, DE American Legion Riders rode back roads thru DE and MD across Bay Bridge to D.C., but we only had couple hr. ride. (Alert: 3rd Law of Hydrodynamics--if your group has more than 2 wimmen, it will take 45 mins. to pee.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(Alert: 3rd Law of Hydrodynamics--if your group has more than 2 wimmen, it will take 45 mins. to pee.)

Ha Ha now thats funny.....and true. Yeah it looks like there is just no good way to get there from here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. been workin with google maps and think I've got a route picked out. Looks like we're goin to leave Thursday night and ride to Middletown, N.Y. and stay for the night then finish up on Friday. I wanted to blast down in 1 day but weve got a few Sportsters and Dynas as well as some newer and female riders goin. Oh well. All part of the adventure I guess. I think I am goin to ride down to Myrtle Beach for the last week of April so I will try out the route.

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
I'm in Northern VA and know the area well. If u wish, PM me so we can chat etc. But the major points are:
1. Stay off Balt-Wash Pkwy inside the beltway
2. Stay of Interstate 295
3. Alexandria VA has slums and mansions - I can help u choose the hotel area
4. Attending the event does not require riding in the event
5. If u want to ride in it, be warned - tons of amateurs - lots of spill overs
Let me know if I can help, DOOF

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DOOFUS, I will definately be in touch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. been workin with google maps and think I've got a route picked out. Looks like we're goin to leave Thursday night and ride to Middletown, N.Y. and stay for the night then finish up on Friday. I wanted to blast down in 1 day but weve got a few Sportsters and Dynas as well as some newer and female riders goin. Oh well. All part of the adventure I guess. I think I am goin to ride down to Myrtle Beach for the last week of April so I will try out the route.

I did a Google search and found your post. I would like to ride down to the 2013 Memorial Day ride in DC. I just joined this forum. This would be my first tine there. I really need to see the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
I live in Middletown, NY and saw you might hotel here. I would like to ride down and back with a group that knows what they are doing. Avoiding traffic, cheap hotel there, etc.
I'll look forward to reading more posts from you and if you would let me travel with you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i dont know what kind of time frame your looking at, but open your google maps and try this out for size, granted its a lot of highway but you get great mountain views and plenty of highway rest stops. plus it brings you around te back of DC. i do this run occassionally when i pick up my son in Hagerstown. Md.

Hwy 80 west to route 81 south

follow 81 south into Md

81 south onto 70 east

70 east onto 270 east. into DC.

its Highway, but its scenic and accommodating.

hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts