Road Glide banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of a trip from CA to TX across Route 66. Has anyone done this route before?

Any advice on the best time of year to travel for weather and where to stop along the way?

Any stretches that I should worry about as far as fuel range?

From Amarillo, I'll probably drop down to Dallas to visit family and then come back to CA the same way.

How long do you think I should take?

Thanks!!!

Ernie

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
After you get past the Kingman area, the Route 66 was, basically covered by I-40 through Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. It can still be found in the towns that were by passed. It is now called the Business Route of I-40. You can still follow it through the larger cities. The smaller ones are just a short Business Route. But from California to Texas, the most part that is intact is from Victorville to just before Williams Arizona. You can see some parts of it going through the Cajon Pass too, just over the side of I-15.

If you could get to Oklahoma City and go further, it will split off and is still pretty much intact. When they built the I-44 corridor, they just built a new road. That left the original Route 66 intact through OK, Missouri and Illinois. There is a small part that cuts through the south east corner of Kansas too.

It is a great ride. to just take your time and enjoy.

Best time is spring or fall. From Middle May to early September, it is HOT! Winter it can snow going up from Kingman and across AZ, NM and Texas. In other words, it is desert Cold!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts