Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been to the northeast so I have no idea of the best roads to take across New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire. We like to avoid the supper slabs as much as possible. How is US 20 from Buffalo to Utica? How about 12 and 28 to the Adirondacks? What is the best way from Adirondacks to Lake Champlain? Lake Champlain to Shelbrune, NH?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Take to 24 to 224 to 30 to 271 to 90 to Utica. It is 550 miles from Wabash Indiana via this route to Rochester. Its a long slow road across NY on 20. From Buffalo to Rochester is 100 miles. Its 125+ miles from Rochester to Utica on route 90. A good alternate two lane route to 90 is route 104. 104 is a fast moving two lane road, however you will want to get on east of Rochester. Take route 21 north and stop in Palmyra and pick me up. Then you take 104B to route 3. That is a good route. At any time you could go just a bit more north to ride along the waterfront of lake Ontario. Be SURE to go to Sackets Harbor Brewing and get a Monster Cheese burger and a 1812 Draft. They have some DAMN good mico brews.Sackets is were the Canadians tried to invade the USA in the war of 1812. Lots of cool history and old buildings in that area. Great sites to see. Alexander Bay is a bit north of there but also a cool place to check out too. You will also travel near Saranac lake and lake Placid (1980 winter Olympics).
Route 12 to 28 is a fine route. It does have some decent sites but not as any as route 3. Old Forge, Raquette lake, and Blue Mountain Lake area are real nice. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Last year we went rode up into the North Conway area, Its beautiful. We came home via route 4 through Vermont and across route 8. I believe the way I will go is........ 104 to 3 to 49 to Rome then 365 to 8 to 4 through Rutland Vt.to 104 to 16 north and end in Gorham.

·
Registered
740 Posts
All good roads Panhead. Getting to the meat of NY is the challenge. The ride through Letchworth ( grand canyon of the east) is a great ride and then north?The thruway is really not bad in NY for 100 miles or so. I will lead through the Finger Lakes for any takers. I plan on meeting up with Mailman to ride through the mountains to Lake Placid. Plenty of time to plan...

·
Registered
319 Posts
You might want to check out the Ferry that goes from Essex, NY to Charlotte VT. I did that a couple of times with buds. it gives you a break from the saddle and just to take in the scenery.

I did not think that there is so many riders from upstate ny. It would be great together with some of the riders from upstate ny before the shark week.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You might want to check out the Ferry that goes from Essex, NY to Charlotte VT. I did that a couple of times with buds. it gives you a break from the saddle and just to take in the scenery.

I did not think that there is so many riders from upstate ny. It would be great together with some of the riders from upstate ny before the shark week.
I'm always ready to ride! I ride most every Sunday as a minimum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
All good roads Panhead. Getting to the meat of NY is the challenge. The ride through Letchworth ( grand canyon of the east) is a great ride and then north?The thruway is really not bad in NY for 100 miles or so. I will lead through the Finger Lakes for any takers. I plan on meeting up with Mailman to ride through the mountains to Lake Placid. Plenty of time to plan...
We will probably ride thru the Finger Lakes area. Could you give me some information on roads from Letchworth to and around Finger Lakes and wineries that we should stop at? And do you ride the entire length of the Letchworth State Park to the Highbanks Rec Area?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
You're coming from Indy. There's a few of us in NEO that are going also. Tagged this thread to see what kind of routes spring up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Once you get to the Adirondacks I don't believe there are any "bad" roads. Vermont is great and New Hampshire north of Concord is all good too.

Here is a link to a page from New England Riders

http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestRoads/Best%20Roads.htm

This gives some good ideas of the best roads etc. Hope it helps and doesn't create any confusion. As I said any road you take will be excellent.

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
We're leaving from central oh on friday and gonna try to run as many 2 lanes as possible getting there. Probably run freeway and the pike home. Told the wife she has a year to plsn the route. Should be interesting.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
138 Posts
We will probably ride thru the Finger Lakes area. Could you give me some information on roads from Letchworth to and around Finger Lakes and wineries that we should stop at? And do you ride the entire length of the Letchworth State Park to the Highbanks Rec Area?
Once you cross the bridge from Canada the isn't a bad road in the US as far as I'm aware of.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Finger Lakes is my stomping grounds. I will put some rides together for riders coming from the south as well as the west. NY roads are in great shape EXCEPT for Southern Tier Expressway. rt 86 (old route 17) Watkins glen and the Seneca Lake wine trail are stunning.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I've been looking at going through Canada - north from Indy and into eastern Michigan, then east on Canadian Hwy 401, and then dropping down into the U.S. just past Montreal. About 1,200 miles. Plan for 3 days about 400 a day.

But also looking at taking interstates through/into upper NY and into NH. About 1,200 also.

Just ain't decided yet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've been looking at going through Canada - north from Indy and into eastern Michigan, then east on Canadian Hwy 401, and then dropping down into the U.S. just past Montreal. About 1,200 miles. Plan for 3 days about 400 a day.

Hey joke.that route is NO Joke! You better be ready to blast across that 401. 85mph. The whole way.those guys will run you over on that road. I have come across and into port huron via 401 403 402, however throttle on the whole way baby.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Hey joke.that route is NO Joke! You better be ready to blast across that 401. 85mph. The whole way.those guys will run you over on that road. I have come across and into port huron via 401 403 402, however throttle on the whole way baby.
I was thinking of going that route once I get past Lake Michigan. That works for me. Just kickin it to 6th gear :cool:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I haven't been to the northeast so I have no idea of the best roads to take across New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire. We like to avoid the supper slabs as much as possible. How is US 20 from Buffalo to Utica? How about 12 and 28 to the Adirondacks? What is the best way from Adirondacks to Lake Champlain? Lake Champlain to Shelbrune, NH?
If you want to start the fun early, see what Hutmo comes up with for a Gypsy Tour before you make your final decision.

I don't much care for the NY Thruway or NY 17 in southern NY. Someone here said they don't like I-86, but I do - It's much less travelled than the Thruway or I-80. I-86 turns into NY 17 and gets bad.

US-6 across northern PA is a bucket list road.

No matter what back road you choose you'll enjoy the scenery and not make good time. There are plenty of towns to go through.

·
Registered
138 Posts

But also looking at taking interstates through/into upper NY and into NH. About 1,200 also.

Just ain't decided yet.
what a crummy way to go

1 - 20 of 23 Posts