Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What RPM range does everybody run in? I'm guessing that whatever cam your running would dictate the RPM range you run in. I know this is probably a strange question but I'm looking at motor upgrades and possibly changing my existing cams. Just trying to do some research Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interesting topic. I recently was reading about this, as I've always just did what the bike felt, but started seeing articles about how Harley's have issues due to most rider lugging the engine and running it too low. I assumed this was lower than what I ran, but started researching, and I tend to run around 2,500 RPM. The articles I read were telling me to run at 3,000 RPM, up to 4,000, as you're still no where near redline, and the power is much better.

I tried all of that, and while the bike certainly runs smoother, it FEELS like it's running too high. I've since given up and gone back to what feels right, and if something breaks, I'll just have to replace it.

Interested in what other people have to say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
highway cruise 2800-3500- at those rpms 3000 roughly 80 mph generally average speed for atlanta area lol, im using 551 ss cams around 3000 good cruising fuel mpg decent and if i need crack throttle get around it jump right up 90 or more no problem still has some pull left even at those speeds,

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I run above 3000 rpms all day long... the bike is like a different animal. More responsive and snappy when you flick the throttle. I run 80-85mph on the freeways out here as well... so I'm right there at 3200rpms. IMHO.. the 2000-3000 range is quite sluggish for me and my riding style.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm always at 2800. Right there near the 3k sweet spot when I need it... Stock cams.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
HD been saying that for years because their underpowered engines respond better and seem more powerful at higher rpm so the customer will be happier if he keeps the rpm's higher.
Basically it depends on the cams, there are cams that are designed to produce power in different rpm ranges.
Some high performance racing cams don't really produce good power until the engine hit 3000 rpms and above.
There are low end/mid range power cams that produce good power at lower rpms such as 2400 rpm and above.
In most cases the low end/mid range cam is the best for the heavier touring model HD since the normal cruising range would be between 2500 and 3300 rpm and the only time you would be hitting higher rpms would be when accelerating up to cruising speed.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
In my earlier youth, in Dixieland, I was pulled over on a long stretch of sand pines, as the Officer approached I was looking down trying to get my wet glove off, he said "you running off the tact" i's says "yes" then he told me i's going 10 over and wanted to let me know:surprise:

With the RG having a tact and as she's getting older
She run stronger in the 25 to 3 range to shift till 5th, and she'll let you know (dmass) there's no six.

Lugging on fatheads with a delay in FI will ping(when demanded) on the best of tune on my RG at least

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
24,000 + Miles on my 2015 RGS and I run from 3,000 to 4,000 RPM's and bike is strong as ever. Zero issues.
Swomack

·
Registered
250 Posts
03 88 5 speed 2800 to 4000

05 CVO103 5 speed 2800 to 4000

15 CVO 110 6 speed 2600 to 4000

I pretty much stay at 8mph over posted.

Seems they all like 4000 to 5000 though....

·
Registered
134 Posts
On highway, dont use tach... whatever speed I want to go.. typical, flat, two lane riding, 2000-2500.. Twisties, 2500-3000.. I use the lug factor... if it lugging, I drop a gear or 2..

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
There is no one size fits all RPM range. A solo rider, who is not a fat a$$ can get away with anything above 2000 RPM on flat land. I consistently run 55 mph in 6th gear. Before you even think of jumping down my throat, it's a 2011 geared RG, so I'm at about 2150 (see picture). So I'm not even close to lugging the engine. At 65,000 miles my 2011 is still running like the day I bought it new.

I have ridden in excess of a half million miles on Harleys over the years. In my (gasp) 50 years of riding Harleys, I have NEVER had to split cases, or do a major rebuild.

Here's what my manual says about where to shift. That should give a pretty good indication of what the MOCO thinks about RPM. When Harley came out with the first 6 speed, the advertisement emphasized that it allowed the engine to run at lower RPM, and therefore last longer. High RPM creates more heat and wear. It's just simple physics.

Ta DA

Reactions: bigr545

·
Registered
951 Posts
Like others before me, it depends on the conditions and how I feel at the time.

Overall Highway cruising, I usually run around 75 - 80 mph, so about 3000rpm.

If I'm riding solo in the twisties, then I ride a little higher in the rpm range, 2800 - 3500rpm. I like to keep it in the powerband, which for my bike, starts at about 3000rpm and goes until I hit the rev-limiter.

If I'm riding with the Club, then it changes everything.
Highway cruising, still 3000rpm minimum, but could go as high as 5500-6000rpm at a moments notice.
Twisties, average around 3000-4500rpm, with bursts of 5500-6000rpm.

I do have the 110 with the SE110 heads, SE255 cams, SE Race Tuner, V&H Powerduals/Hi Output Slip-ons, and the SE Heavy Breather intake.

The engine is extremely responsive starting at 3000rpm, but will pull well from about 2500rpm.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Normal riding between 2800 and 3200 mainly 3K; upshifting gear changes around 3800. Highway bike feels good about 85 mph.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
There is no one size fits all RPM It's just simple physics.

Ta DA

So if ya running a metric front with a radius of 10.5 inches the distance your tire covers in one revolution at 88 feet per second how many racoons per million will exit stage right?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
So if ya running a metric front with a radius of 10.5 inches the distance your tire covers in one revolution at 88 feet per second how many racoons per million will exit stage right?

Reactions: reds4
1 - 17 of 17 Posts