Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing the Hawg Wired RS400 AMP and had already installed J&M's ROKKER XX 6.65 fairing speakers. I have not done the flash yet, but boy did it make a difference. I am happy with the way the combo turned out, it works well for me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just finished installing the Hawg Wired RS400 AMP and had already installed J&M's ROKKER XX 6.65 fairing speakers. I have not done the flash yet, but boy did it make a difference. I am happy with the way the combo turned out, it works well for me.
There are many who would use a different setup but the main thing is that you are happy with what you have. That's really all that matters. You'll be rockin' now.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Flash?

What do you mean "Have not done the flash yet"?

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
FLTRXS15 ,,,,,

thank you for the J&M speaker compliments ,,,,,

1st sgt is correct ,,, with an aftermarket amp, regardless of brand you do NOT want to have the Harley radio flash performed, leave it stock just like you have it now ,,,,,

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
FLTRXS15 ,,,,,

1st sgt is correct ,,, with an aftermarket amp, regardless of brand you do NOT want to have the Harley radio flash performed, leave it stock just like you have it now ,,,,,
Please elaborate on why so that others reading this thread will know. Ty

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, please elaborate. Your blanket statement that, regardless of brand, no flash is needed goes directly against Rockford Fosgate information.
Have you done definitive testing of other or all aftermarket amps?

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
Ohiobellboy ,,,,,,

the Harley Flash that is performed when installing the fairing mounted Harley BOOM amplifier option reduces the normal output signal from the radio & changes the DSP program which alters the amount of bass response available from the system ,,,,

in addition, the Harley BOOM amplifier becomes the fading component of the system for front/rear fade ,,, with the single amplifier system ,,,,,, instead of the front/rear fader being controlled inside the radio ,,,,

when you add multiple boom amps to the Harley radio, the fader is turned back on inside the radio itself, but the reduced audio output and DSP signal changes remain ,,,,,,

the Harley radio should be flashed as 2 or 4 speakers NO AMP to perform well when adding an aftermarket amplifier of any brand ,,,, otherwise you will lose a significant amount of signal into the amp along with a significant loss of bass response ,,,

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, that statement even contradicts Harleys own instructions since when adding a Boom Audio upgrade a flash is required for the system to operate properly.

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
of course it contradicts Harleys own instructions for installing their own BOOM audio amp ,,,, you are NOT installing a Boom audio amp ,,,,,,

if you do the Harley flash you also lose the front/rear fader control inside the radio, if you want to make use of the rear speaker leads already built into the wiring harness ,,,

I have 3 brand new Rushmore Harleys in our shop that are J&M Audio demo bikes for all of the shows we go to ,,,,,,,

it IS my business to know everything about the audio systems that are on them ,,,,

·
Registered
90 Posts
FLTRXS15 ,,,,,

of course it contradicts Harleys own instructions for installing their own BOOM audio amp ,,,, you are NOT installing a Boom audio amp ,,,,,,

if you do the Harley flash you also lose the front/rear fader control inside the radio, if you want to make use of the rear speaker leads already built into the wiring harness ,,,

I have 3 brand new Rushmore Harleys in our shop that are J&M Audio demo bikes for all of the shows we go to ,,,,,,,

it IS my business to know everything about the audio systems that are on them ,,,,

Your statement was "regardless of brand". Would that not include Boom Audio.

If it your business to know everything about the system and your statement that regardless of brand no flash is needed goes directly in the face of Rockford Fosgate instructions regarding the installation of one of their amps, are you not implying that you know more about RF equipment that they themselves?

·
Registered
209 Posts
all I'm going to say to this because my posts seem to be being removed by admins is pay attention to what you guys are listening to. What you're hearing and seeing above is ABSOLUTE MISTRUTH in the most self-serving manner by J&M there is.

I don't see FLTRXS15's comments as being a plug for J&M equipment at all. Matter of fact the reason he's experienced the difference he has, has a hell of a lot more to do with that amp than your speakers. Get the head unit flashed and it will improve drastically.

What J&M fails to tell you guys is most HD shops haven't a clue about all these flashes and are clueless on what to do when you walk in there. Your best ammunition is being informed. J&M is playing into that by making his false and misleading statements about this because the J&M amp doesn't require a flash and I get that with your programmable DSP chipset. But to tell these people what you are telling them here is a downright LIE.

8 speakers on
amp 1 off
amp 2 off
fader active

THAT IS THE FLASH YOU NEED WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE AN OVERPRICED J&M AMP!

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am not knocking anybody with how they feel in choices and how to set up the choices they made. I do not have involvement with any business that I have purchased products from for my Road Glide and with that being said:

I decided to go with J&M speakers after researching sites, talking with companies and asking for opinions on this site and deciding J&M speakers worked for what I wanted. I decided to go with the RS400 AMP, using the same process as I did for the speakers. I do not know anything about how AMPS or how speakers are designed and assembled. I take everyone's opinion on how they felt about what they purchased, installed and maybe manufacture as information to help with the process in what I wanted.

I will continue to track this post to see everyone's input, opinions and knowledge. I enjoy reading questions, comments and feedback from anyone.

Thanks for the good reading on my thread
L

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
UltraNutz ,,,,,

with all due respect again ,,,, the J&M DSP controlled amp DOES give us more latitude to manipulate the various frequency ranges, to optimize the amp for the particular application, including the 2014-2015 Harleys ,,,,, but most other amps that I have tested, including the R/F stuff, also have external crossover and gain controls to allow the installer to accomplish pretty much the same thing, that I do with the J&M ROKKER amp DSP ,,,,

I currently have 3 of the Harley Rushmore bikes ,,, a 2014 Harley StreetGlide with 500w 6-speaker system ,,, a 2014 Ultra Ltd with 500w 6-speaker system and a 2015 RoadGlide ultra with a 360w 4-speaker system ,,,,,

I "DO" know what I am talking about as it pertains to the Harley Flash on the 2014-2015 Harley radios ,,, as every single one of my own Harleys have been taken down to the local Harley dealer to have the radios flashed, multiple different ways from the Harley dealer computer ,,,,,,

then we bring them back down to the J&M shop and measure the changes in output and frequency response, with the various Harley flashes, and then we ultimately take all 3 back down to the local Harley dealer for the final flash back to stock, which is (((4-SPEAKERS--NO AMP)) on the Harley computer menu selections ,,,,,

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
UltraNutz ,,,,,,

my guys in the J&M shop also made significant progress today in reducing the distortion from the dome tweeter rings on the J&M 6.65" ROKKER XX speakers for the 2014-2015 Rushmore bikes, while at the same time increasing overall volume level heard from the tweeters ,,,,,,

we separated the signal from the amp driving the main midwoofer from the signal driving the tweeter ,,,,, really does make a difference ,,,,

just another piece of the puzzle ,,,,,

I see Harley is playing around with something similar with their new BOOM Stage II stuff, but their new system requires one amplifier for EACH pair of speakers on the bike ,,,,,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts