Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Have a quick question.
I am adding aset of 6x9 speakers on my lids and I bought the unibit (steadfast tool). I called up a local audio shop and they told me to drill about a 3/4 inch hole in diameter through the saddlebag in order to run the wire into each saddlebag.

Heres my question:?? Where can I find rubber grommets that will fit and set thru that saddlebag hole i created and is thick enough to stay on that wall. Harley told me they dont supply grommets any more.

The wire jacket is between 1/8' inch and 1/4' inch in length.
Reason because the red and black wires that Im gonna hook up to the positive and negative terminals of the speaker, I havent cut open the jacket yet. Both wires are still inside the black jacket uncut. (hope that makes sense?)

I need to find a 3/4' inch outer diameter rubber grommet with an inner diameter circle 1/8' inch (really tiny hole). It has to be 1/8' inch thin for the tiny hole.

Ive looked everywhere on the net and i cant find anything.

If you guys have a better suggestion, i would love to hear it.
Were all brothers here!
Thanx so much you guyz!!
John from boston(y)

· Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,748 Posts
Amazon is your friend. Fuind the size you need - drill your own hole. I bought this kit to replace the lost grommet for my Tour Pak wiring. Why do you need a 3/4" hole in the bag for a 1/8" wire? Doesn't add up

Font Circle Screenshot Brand Science

144 Posts
Here’s the USA version of the same thing…

ISPINNER 52pcs 6 Sizes Rubber Grommet, Double Sided Round Rubber Hole Plug, Drill Hole 5/8" 13/16" 7/8" 1" 1-3/16" 1-1/2" (Black) https://a.co/d/bliXTEp
the reason why I said 3/4’ inch was because that’s what the guy from the bike shop told me he uses on his installs. He also told me he uses a 3/4’ inch unibit to drill the hole.

· Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,748 Posts
the reason why I said 3/4’ inch was because that’s what the guy from the bike shop told me he uses on his installs. He also told me he uses a 3/4’ inch unibit to drill the hole.
Do you have 2 accounts? I can merge the two for you.

· Registered
294 Posts
On the hole size, where is the connector going to be? The only reason I can think of for drilling a hole that big is if the connector is inside the saddle bag, and every time you want to take the saddle bag off you have to slide a connector thru the hole... I'd wire it a little different IF that is the case. Otherwise, if there isn't a connector thats the issue, drill as small a hole as possible (to accommodate wire & grommet), then use the right grommet... Like the ones above, or find the one you want to use, and drill the hole for that one.

IF you have already drilled your hole, you can probably just use a black rubber plug in the hole and slit the center of it barely, then slide the wire thru it... basically making it like the grommets Zedbra posted.

· Registered
1,759 Posts
I'm with ^Texas^ on this one...any local auto parts or hardware store should have a selection of grommets that could be used.

Just don't go looking for a grommet that fits a hole that's too big to start with - That's cart before the horse territory. Get the grommets you can find/need (for the ID), and then drill a hole the size it will need to fit tightly and seal in.

You can always make the hole bigger later if need be. But hole shrinkers are like bolt stretchers - really hard to find. 😁

Reactions: ssitruc
144 Posts
Ok, so I haven’t drilled any holes yet, seeing I just got my bike back. I got brand new bags, lids , etc… I’m gonna tape up the lid with painters tape use the precision power cut kit and the template drill 2 holes on each side of template and use a 1-handed sawlzall make the speaker square cut out then attach and silicone the speaker adapter to prevent water run in the speakers and attach my speaker.
Now I’m gonna cut out the smallest size grommet I got from the grommet kit I bought. The smallest grommet is a 5/8’ drill hole

· Registered
778 Posts
that's the stuff. if you want to get crazy about it, tape off a little 3/4 by 3/4 box on the outside of your bag, smear it over and get it inside the hole and LEAVE IT until its dry. My toxic trait is that once its done, I'll wait for an hour and go start jerking around with it to see if it's dry and then ruin it and have to redo it. Once it's dry, you can do the same thing from the inside of the bag if you're so inclined but this aint rocket surgery, it's a dab of caulk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts