Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 2011, FLTRX, less than 7 months old, less than 5,000mi.
A friend pointed out over the weekend, while we were 150 miles from home at DelMarVa Bike Fest, that my right rear signal was out.
Actually the running light was out but the brake and turn still worked, THANK GOD.
Well, what's the general consensus, is it just the bulb? (please say yes)

Thanks in advance,
HSP

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes.

What are we agreeing to................
Warranty on light bulbs ?!?!? ... oh nevermind different thread...
Seriously though very likely the bulb so check it first, then check/look/touch up under the fender for any hanging wires.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.....

....I'm hoping it's just a bulb and not symptomatic of a larger problem.
I realize that no matter what the problem, it's covered under the warranty but that doesn't make it any easier for me to leave "my baby" at the stealer.
Ya know?

HSP

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
No man, the engine about to blow! first sign of a bad engine problem is the marker lamp going on the blink.;)

·
Registered
8,856 Posts

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Check the bulb but I would think it would be in the turn/brake/running light control module. The rear bulb is a single filament 1156 bulb so if your turn and brake signal lights up OK it would seem that the bulb is in working order.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Check the bulb but I would think it would be in the turn/brake/running light control module. The rear bulb is a single filament 1156 bulb so if your turn and brake signal lights up OK it would seem that the bulb is in working order.
Mark , On the newer custom 10 up the rear turn signals are double filament. They are Run/turn/brake.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
3.95 for the bulb (buy 2 of them) mine went out 2 days ago , 6800 mi.
Same deal as yours , running light out , brake and turn signals worked.
Easy fix........:)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot

I went by my stealer, talked to the kid who was "manning" the service counter.
He told me I would have to bring it in.
"C'mon, it's just a bulb! You can't just gimme a bulb?!?!"
The kid wouldn't budge.
Just then, as luck would have it, my salesman walked into the service department.
Needless to say, I walked away with a new bulb.
(Sometimes it's the small victories that mean the most.)
So I got home, popped the lens off, clicked out the old, clicked in the new, turned the switch, "let there be light and there was light".
A wise man once said, "Sometimes it's the small victories that mean the most."
OH YEAH, THAT WAS ME!! :D

HSP

·
Registered
146 Posts
Whenever I replace bulbs or reconnect any electrical plug I always use some dielectric grease. It makes for a better connection and makes it easier to undo next time.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Mark , On the newer custom 10 up the rear turn signals are double filament. They are Run/turn/brake.
Thanks Big-gary, I didn't know that. What will HD think of next? That right HD eliminated the regular tail light and went to the turn signal do all funtions, IMO it made the bike less visible from the rear but it looks cool.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I got less then 2000 miles on my bike when a front turn signal bulb blew out. Yeah, I think it is just the bulb. Easy enough to replace and keep checking.

Ok, 2011, FLTRX, less than 7 months old, less than 5,000mi.
A friend pointed out over the weekend, while we were 150 miles from home at DelMarVa Bike Fest, that my right rear signal was out.
Actually the running light was out but the brake and turn still worked, THANK GOD.
Well, what's the general consensus, is it just the bulb? (please say yes)

Thanks in advance,
HSP

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I went by my stealer, talked to the kid who was "manning" the service counter.
He told me I would have to bring it in.
"C'mon, it's just a bulb! You can't just gimme a bulb?!?!"
The kid wouldn't budge.
Just then, as luck would have it, my salesman walked into the service department.
Needless to say, I walked away with a new bulb.
(Sometimes it's the small victories that mean the most.)
So I got home, popped the lens off, clicked out the old, clicked in the new, turned the switch, "let there be light and there was light".
A wise man once said, "Sometimes it's the small victories that mean the most."
OH YEAH, THAT WAS ME!! :D

HSP
CHECK YOU ENGINE ! first sign..... bad marker lamp .:D

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Thanks Big-gary, I didn't know that. What will HD think of next? That right HD eliminated the regular tail light and went to the turn signal do all funtions, IMO it made the bike less visible from the rear but it looks cool.

Not with me on it ! :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would tend to agree

Going with just the Run/Turn/Brake and no "tombstone" light on the rear fender does indeed make us less visible. (And MORE of a target!)
It probably explains why "the company" now has two (2) different accessory lights for the rear fender.
I still like the way it looks though. ;)

Oh yeah, thanks again BigGary, you're so much help. NOT! :D

HSP

·
Registered
179 Posts
Within the first 3000mi on my '11 FLTRX I've had to replace 3 of 4 of the signal bulbs because the RUN filament went out. Who knows maybe they are just cheap but I now keep a couple extras in the bags just in case that fourth one goes out while on the road. Glad to know I wasn't the only with this problem on a new bike. Funny now that I think about it I've got a170K miles on my truck and have never needed to replace the signal bulbs on it. Only recently had to do the headlights. Well maybe these aftermarket bulbs will last longer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts