Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way in this morning the bike started to sputter on wide open throttle on the freeway. 31k miles, PCV with a FM map, cobra power port duals, CFR slip ons, S/E heavy breather a/c. This bike has always run great.

Changed the battery over the weekend and I am thinking maybe wiring for the PC got kinked somewhere when I put the seat back on. Rode it on Sunday after the battery swap without an issue and yesterday too.

Never have checked my cam tensioners as of yet so that could be another possible culprit but it seems a bit erratic for that.

My thoughts are to clean my IAC, remove PC, CPS, temp sensor. First I will remove the PC and see what happens after a short ride. Oil pressure is fine, and the TBW works fine so I don't think my TBW connection is the issue.

Got the sat off and am going to check all the wiring by the battery to see if anything looks weird. Any other thoughts and recommendations would be great. I always gas up at the same Chevron station so I doubt it is bad gas but I guess that is a possibility as well. Lots of back firing when it starts to bog down.

Get your ideas and experience up here please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Pull the PVC and see how the bike runs. I wouldn't think the IAC, CPS or the temp sensor would be the problem.
Check the rubber cap on the top of the throttle body it may have come off or it may have dry rotted creating a vacum leak. Also check the throttle body and see if it is not loose, The throttle body gaskets will crack over time and cause a vacum leak but wait to check as a last resort.
When did you change the fuel filter last???
Sounds to me that it is a fuel pressure problem, you may have a warped fuel filter housing which was a common issue or you could have a hole in the fuel line inside the fuel tank, both of these issues will cause the bike to run poorly.
Did you check for DTCs???
Don't rule out bad gas either.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Re-seat the ECU cable plug. Better yet, clean the contacts and dielectric grease the contacts.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No limp mode, just erratic running. I'll try all the above suggestions. Hope its not the TBW wiring in the bars. I did not install the bars so I have no idea how this was done.

Keep your ideas coming please. Hoping to be able to ride home tonight.
Drew

·
Registered
248 Posts
A few years ago I picked up some contaminants in the fuel in Wisdom Montana
The bike would run good at low-speed and mid range Full throttle would snort Pop and crack
Only had about 40,000 miles on the bike at that time
Replaced the in tank filter, took care of everything

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
You might want to check the wires going into the TMAP sensor also. They can break under the insulation right at the connector, where they make a sharp bend. PGR brought this up, after I fought a strange sputtering issue for months. Start the bike and poke at the wires going into the sensor, might be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still on original fuel filter. My Throttle body has the cover over the wiring and I have never touched it but that means nothing. I probably won't have time to mess with anything until I get off work or lunch time. TMAP sensor is where the throttle plugs into the throttle body, correct?

Drew

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its right on top of the throttle body/intake manifold, might be hard to see. Not the big plug for the throttle actuating unit, but the smaller one on top.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll check that too. I doubt it is that as it has never been taken off by me but I have a good list going here. I want to make sure I can actually make it home from work. This morning on the freeway at 80 it started sputtering and that can make for serious pucker factor.

Drew

·
Registered
391 Posts
Could be fuel pressure.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I had the pinhole issue on my softail twice in 80k miles. We'll find out when I get a chance to pull the PC off. Hadn't thought about that.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So whatever it was it is fixed. A lsit of what I did was
1) Remove the PC and still had the problem.
2)Replace the plugs still had the problem
3)Reroute all wiring under my seat (which I recently changed) seemed to help a little.
4)Unplug and reseat plug wires on both ends on both plugs
5)unplug and reseat the fuel connection on the tank

I am not sure if it was one thing or a combo of several but I rode home without issue so I'm a happy camper. I checked codes even though the CEL did not come on and I only had the two codes for turn signal voltage as I have the CD LED signals which have always worked perfect with the load equalizer.

Drew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts