Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished putting apes on my 2010 Road Glide. Internally wired. Rode for a few weeks noticed on Monday running lights not working. Signal lights in front, back, and fender light are no longer acting as running light. All dark when bike is running. Signal light blinkers work and all other lights work. Just not running lights.

Pulled the fuse box, and fuse blown. everytime I put a new fuse in it blows. I must have a short somewhere. I am assuming that since I dont think there are any running light wires in the handlebars it probably isnt the handlebar wiring. But more than likely the signal light wires in the front when putting the fairing back on pinched the signal light wire. Is this probably a good place to start? Is there any other place to look? Where else would there be a short if not in the signal light wires where the running light wires are?

Any suggestions or help is appreciated...going home to pull the fairing off tonight and do some looking...around.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I finished putting apes on my 2010 Road Glide. Internally wired. Rode for a few weeks noticed on Monday running lights not working. Signal lights in front, back, and fender light are no longer acting as running light. All dark when bike is running. Signal light blinkers work and all other lights work. Just not running lights.

Pulled the fuse box, and fuse blown. everytime I put a new fuse in it blows. I must have a short somewhere. I am assuming that since I dont think there are any running light wires in the handlebars it probably isnt the handlebar wiring. But more than likely the signal light wires in the front when putting the fairing back on pinched the signal light wire. Is this probably a good place to start? Is there any other place to look? Where else would there be a short if not in the signal light wires where the running light wires are?

Any suggestions or help is appreciated...going home to pull the fairing off tonight and do some looking...around.
I'd start on the front left turn. That one is lower and easier to pinch by not seeing it as well. That one got me before. Also don't tighten the inner bolts on the turn signal bracket as much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is where i went last night. Left turn signal had two pinches in it. Going to see if that resolves the problem when i rewire it and reinstall it.

That definitely was the tighter of the two turn signals to get the wire up inside the fairing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
That is where i went last night. Left turn signal had two pinches in it. Going to see if that resolves the problem when i rewire it and reinstall it.

That definitely was the tighter of the two turn signals to get the wire up inside the fairing.

Thanks.
Replace the fuse while the turn signal is still hanging down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did let the lights hang and replaced the fuse still blew. Also just checked continuity on both front signal lights. They all checked out with a clear beep. So the wires on the signal lights all have a clean signal.

Does that slot #19 fuse control running lights only? If so, I would think it would have to be along that running light wire somewhere only. Or could it be another wire that is causing the issue?

Going to take the fairing off completely and start looking at all the connections inside the fairing tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I opened up the fairing opened up one of the bundles of wires from the handlebars that I know may have had some issues. I un-taped the bundle near the connnector, inspected the wires in the bundle and all the signal light wires I didnt see anything. Then got the ignition switch working again, (Key slot was stuck wouldnt move). Put the spring under it dropped it back in, so the ignition switch was seated properly. prior to that it was not seated properly. Spring was not under it.

Turned bike on. Running lights worked. Not sure what i did to make them work but will keep an eye on it. I guess it could be the bundle of wires had a loose wire or pin inside the connector or the ignition not being in properly could have been the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts