Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be simple to most but I'm not real strong on electrical. I have a Hawg Wired six pack system with the RS400 amp. It's rated at 200 watts (100x2) at 4 ohms and 400 watts (200x2) at 2 ohms. I'm thinking about adding two more speakers down the road to upgrade. If I add two speakers and run them in parallel does that make the amp operate at a 2 ohm load and still put out 100 watts to each of the 4 speakers or am I missing something? Trying to figure out what will give me the best value for an upgrade without having to buy another amp. Would I gain more by adding another set of the ZX's or stay with two speakers but upgrade to higher end speakers? I'm wanting a little more volume without sacrificing sound quality.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Ok, this may be simple to most but I'm not real strong on electrical. I have a Hawg Wired six pack system with the RS400 amp. It's rated at 200 watts (100x2) at 4 ohms and 400 watts (200x2) at 2 ohms. I'm thinking about adding two more speakers down the road to upgrade. If I add two speakers and run them in parallel does that make the amp operate at a 2 ohm load and still put out 100 watts to each of the 4 speakers or am I missing something? Trying to figure out what will give me the best value for an upgrade without having to buy another amp. Would I gain more by adding another set of the ZX's or stay with two speakers but upgrade to higher end speakers? I'm wanting a little more volume without sacrificing sound quality.
I am not sure about how many watts are put out to each, but I have the RS400 and running just two speakers and the instruction for the AMP states of you add 2 more speakers in parallel you have to use 2 ohm speakers. With the knowledge on this site, others will have the answer on the watts per channel.

·
Super Moderator
12,334 Posts
If you use 2 4ohm speakers and run them in parallel, you will have the equivalent of a 2ohm load, and each speaker will have 100 watts. Do not use 2 2 ohm speakers in parallel, that will be a 1 ohm load and your amp probably won't last too long.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Trying to keep it simple and basic, paralleling your speakers halves the resistance, so a pair of 4ohm speakers paralleled presents 2 ohms resistance to the amplifier. Depending on amp design, this usually results in a doubling of the output power from the amp. You will not be getting 100 watts to each speaker, but 200 watts to each pair. Sound is exponentially logarithmic. Doubling your power generally only adds a 3dB increase in sound, which would generally be considered only a "perceptible" increase in sound. You may get a bit more than that, as paralleling speakers generally gives a very slight increase in efficiency also. If you want to double you volume level, you will need 10 times the amount of power.

·
Super Moderator
12,334 Posts
Not to argue the point, but theoretically if the speakers are the same, you are getting 200 watts to the speakers and if you break it down, it's 100 watts to each speaker.

·
Super Moderator
12,334 Posts
Of course that's rms, and very doubtful you'd be at full volume all the time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not to argue the point, but theoretically if the speakers are the same, you are getting 200 watts to the speakers and if you break it down, it's 100 watts to each speaker.
No argument here, as long as he uses the identical speaker.

I was more trying to explain the answer to his question, which I never really answered. The simplest bet, if room is available, is to add two more identical speakers, since the amp is stable to two ohms. The only way to match the 4 speaker system with two speakers will be to get speakers that have 6dB higher sensitivity, which may be difficult if you are already around the 90dB area.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks for the replies. I was referring to two more identical speakers. I have one pair of the ZX speakers now and was considering adding one more of the same. Didn't think just upgrading the current pair to a better pair would make as much difference as adding a second identical pair in parallel, but wasn't sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,334 Posts
What is the db sensitivity of your current speakers?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is how they have it on their website
Sensitivity, SPL: 90dB +/-3dB / 1W @ 1M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts