Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98, EVO, bored and cammed, and a worn out carburetor that needs replaced. It seems to run OK until I get fuel. Then it runs poorly for 10 mins. Any ideas?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Try not filling it to the top.

Edit: That wasn't meant to be a smart a$$ remark. Sometimes the tank doesn't vent when you over fill it, and it creates a vacuum in the tank. This causes a lean condition, and the engine runs like crap for a while. My Panhead would do this if I topped it off. It had an aftermarket tank on it, and no Tillotson tube.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Try not filling it to the top.

Edit: That wasn't meant to be a smart a$$ remark. Sometimes the tank doesn't vent when you over fill it, and it creates a vacuum in the tank. This causes a lean condition, and the engine runs like crap for a while. My Panhead would do this if I topped it off. It had an aftermarket tank on it, and no Tillotson tube.
I read your comment and didn't take it as being smart a$$. I'm with you on your line of thinking and wonder if the gas cap might be bad?

·
Registered
216 Posts
+1 on the gas cap, when i use to have my softail i replaced both gas cap with low profile one, and of some reason my bike would stall,( high speed not at low speed in town) so i did coast down on the side of the road and ok what the f is going on? checking all the basic fire,air and gas, after i checked the basic the bike would start again and run like a charm for little while and stall again to realise the stupid gas cap would not vent.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 2000 Heritage. Check to see if your tank vent line goes to a charcoal canister inside the lower frame. Mine did (Stupid Calif EPA regs) and when I disconnected the vent line from the canister no more problems with it running bad after a fill up. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many hoses are supposed to come off the tank? Is there an overflow hose and a vent hose? I only have one. This bike HAS been severely molested so I always assume it's missing parts or installed improperly, which is usually the case.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
How many hoses are supposed to come off the tank? Is there an overflow hose and a vent hose? I only have one. This bike HAS been severely molested so I always assume it's missing parts or installed improperly, which is usually the case.

Pull your seat and look at the rear of the console. There should be a rubber hose coming out from under the console.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 2000 Heritage. Check to see if your tank vent line goes to a charcoal canister inside the lower frame. Mine did (Stupid Calif EPA regs) and when I disconnected the vent line from the canister no more problems with it running bad after a fill up. Good luck.
The Charcoal canister is only installed on bikes that are sold new in California. That is why you never buy a used bike from CA.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would also check the vacuum lines from the petcock to the carb. Only if it is the original "CV" carb. If there is no vacuum line, check and make sure where the vacuum line connects to the carb that it is blocked and has a positive seal, if the original petcock was replaced with something like a "Pingle" petcock. Also clean and rebuild the carb. Pretty easy to do, but get a re-build kit for the carb for like $20.00. Remember Air, Spark, & fuel is all you need to get an internal combustion engine to run as long as the timing is set correctly.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts