Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're headed to Evergreen, Colorado in a few weeks and we'll probably be hitting Denver around rush hour and I'm wondering the best way to go. Every town is a little different at rush hour, some lasting longer then others.

Anyway I'm thinking going straight across 70 to exit 252 may not be the best way to go. Should we go 70 to 470 south around town or maybe get off 70 on 86 east of town and run it to 85 up to 470 to 74 to Evergreen....or is there some better way?

Also what time does the traffic start to get bad around town or is it like Chicago it could go to hell anytime :surprise: ....in Chicago I'd say anytime after 3 it starts getting pretty heavy.

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I don't know Denver, but I will share my rush hour rule when travelling.

Don't ride through a new city during rush hour.

I stop for a leisurely supper or find a room for the night if I find myself near a city at the wrong time.

If I stop, I hit the bed early, and leave out long before morning rush hour.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know Denver, but I will share my rush hour rule when travelling.

Don't ride through a new city during rush hour.

I stop for a leisurely supper or find a room for the night if I find myself near a city at the wrong time.

If I stop, I hit the bed early, and leave out long before morning rush hour.

Good luck.
Good advice but for various reasons we already have a reservation on the west side of town, one being so we don't have to wait out morning rush hour the next day.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm back and forth on this (your) decision. 70E is a straight shot thru Denver; on the other hand, 470E (toll road) is only 5 minutes longer, and looks fantastic from Morrison to Evergreen. That is a tough call... I'm riding/stopping 30 minutes North of Denver (470/25), but around noon-time on Thursday. I'd really like to see downtown Denver but won't know till I reach that exit. Think member Mistabuckit lives near Denver. Good luck Quicksand.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not sure what you consider rush hour so since I know first hand what Denver rush hour is I will tell you. Plane and simple it SUCKS! If you hit I70 going any direction between 3pm and 6pm you would be better off staying home. The most direct route to Evergreen is I70 west to the Evergreen exit. I70 to E470 to C470 to the Morrison exit then through Morrison up to Evergreen would be an option. E470 is a license plate Toll road. C470 will be a royal cluster like I70 from I25 (where E470 ends) all the way to Wadsworth Blvd. If you get to town by or before 3pm you will be fine. Ride safe and enjoy Colorado. Come down to Golden and catch us for a cold beer if you have time.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Good advice but for various reasons we already have a reservation on the west side of town, one being so we don't have to wait out morning rush hour the next day.
OK. Now I am confused. You are doing this ride in a few weeks and are planning to ride through Denver at rush hour instead of planning to go through Denver before or after rush hour, Why? Looking for a challenge?

And your planning on riding through evening rush hour to avoid riding through morning rush hour? Something doesn't sound right here.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Good topic Jim. Im in a similar boat.

Jen's plane lands at 4:00 on a wednesday and our first night is in Steamboat springs (our trip to SW6).

I was thinking of taking 70 across to 40. I'd be interested in your experience if ya dont mind.

D.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Good topic Jim. Im in a similar boat.

Jen's plane lands at 4:00 on a wednesday and our first night is in Steamboat springs (our trip to SW6).

I was thinking of taking 70 across to 40. I'd be interested in your experience if ya dont mind.

D.
I70 to US 40 north to Grand Lake and over Rabbit Ears to Steam Boat is a great ride. Check the CDOT travel web site for construction. Just went over to Grand Lake this week. Roads in nice shape and the weather was so nice. 48 degrees in Winter Park at 7 AM. SH 9 at Kremmling may be under construction so check first if you take that route.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK. Now I am confused. You are doing this ride in a few weeks and are planning to ride through Denver at rush hour instead of planning to go through Denver before or after rush hour, Why? Looking for a challenge?

And your planning on riding through evening rush hour to avoid riding through morning rush hour? Something doesn't sound right here.
Depends on the day of the week. What day of the week? What time are you thinking is rush hour?
Nope not looking for a challenge and not 'planning' to ride through Denver at rush hour just assuming that's how it will work out. It's gonna be a little over a 500 mile day so I'm assuming it may be rush hour before we make it to Denver. Thats why I'm inquiring if there's a route I haven't thought of. We're busting butt to get to Denver then dialing it back to start sight seeing. There's no mystery really twowheekaddict, I just prefer dealing with it during the afternoon instead of staying east of town and wasting half the day getting to where we wanted to be to begin with the next day.

Dbally we'll be coming through on a Tuesday, not sure of the time hence the inquiry. I know when rush hour is generally but it does vary between city to city. Some towns 3-7, some 5-6. Where I live you can wait an hour and wait out rush hour on the other hand I've run a 100 miles out of the way to go around certain cities and made better time doing it. Thats why I was wondering if there's an alternative route I'm not seeing on the map. There's nothing like asking the locals. It may be there's just not a good way.

Yeah Dan I'll let ya know how we do and which way we go. If Jen's getting in at 4 it'll probably be 5 or better by the time you're leaving the airport so I think I would eat dinner then head out, by then hopefully it won't be too bad.

Root I don't know where you're headed or how much time you have but if you have a day or part of it, I'd suggest checking out the 16th street mall in Denver. Park your bike and they have continuous free bus service up and down the mall, like every 5-10 minutes. At the east end of the mall is the state capital building made out of Colorado gold. Pretty impressive and worth checking out. You can park up by the capital thats where the malls free buses turn around.

Roadglidegary what about the other route I mentioned getting off 70 on 86 over near Limon then catching 85 through Louviers up to 470 to 285 to Evergreen?

Sounds like the best plan may be to just get up early watching the sun come up in our mirror and shag ass! :surprise:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm heading up to SW but I'm allowing myself 4-5 hours to relax in Denver and check out some dispensaries and/or breweries. Might just ride to Golden to drink one beer with RoadGlideGary.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm heading up to SW but I'm allowing myself 4-5 hours to relax in Denver and check out some dispensaries and/or breweries. Might just ride to Golden to drink one beer with RoadGlideGary.
That what I'm talkin bout Willis! Be careful at some of those dispensaries. Your 4 or 5 hours may turn into 8 or 10.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah we're heading to SW also. We're leaving on July 18th and heading out to join Stray Mutt and the Vagabond tour the following Monday. We're gonna spend a couple days touring around Colorado, hit the Moki Dugway, Monument Valley and Oatman on the way out. I'll look for ya in Canada, ride safe!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I get it.

This is the way I would go.

However, if you are open to changing a few things I can send you a way your ol' lady will love, you will do more passes in the mtns but you will need to make a change in your first nights stay to Pagosa Springs, CO.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
No good choice just stay on 70. There is a secret route but you are not cleared for that yet. Locals only ya' know.

No real difference than any other city. Suck it up and pay attention.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends on the day of the week. What day of the week? What time are you thinking is rush hour?
We have a group of 12 that will be riding from Lone Tree to Landers Wyoming the first day (Wednesday) and then on to Driggs Idaho the second. Our goal is to have kickstands up in Lone Tree at 7:30am so we can take the E470 around Denver up to 25N to Longmont (about an hour away) and stop for breakfast at the Red Rooster. Is this the best route at that time of the morning? Any suggestions are really appreciated.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Thanks Jim. I'll keep an eye out for your scouting info! :)

I was thinking the same about dinner... grab her at the airport and have dinner, that might put us on the road around 6. Then its about 170 miles to Steamboat.

We will be in town on a Wednesday, not sure that will matter for evening rush hour. Allot of stuff I found online said weekend morning rush hour was pretty bad due to people heading to the mountains... lol.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just got back from Evergreen.

Rush hour traffic doesn't end at Denver but will continue down I70 to Evergreen. In town Denver it was slow but moving, keep your head on a swivel. Stick to the left lanes on I70 as the right are filled with greenhorn truckers and Rvs that missed gears going up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Roadglidegary what about the other route I mentioned getting off 70 on 86 over near Limon then catching 85 through Louviers up to 470 to 285 to Evergreen?

Sounds like the best plan may be to just get up early watching the sun come up in our mirror and shag ass! :surprise:
Actually I 70 to SH 86 (Kiowa, Elizabeth, Franktown, Castle Rock) to SH 85 to C470 would be a shorter route. I'd still get off C470 at Morrison and ride up the canyon and into Evergreen. Watch your speed through Morrison and up the Canyon, as well as country towns along SH 86. For those coming fully across I70 watch your speed from Tower Rd. east to Pena Blvd. City of Aurora is good at hiding in the shadows on the shoulders under bridges and busting speeders (BMW bike force). If you hit town by 3:30 you will be okay. Later than than that wait until rush dies down (6:30 ish) and you will have plenty of time. Sun sets about 8:30. Ride safe. If you want to catch up for a cold one in Golden drop me a response. Lots of micro brews and if you have time you could do a self guided tour (with 3 free samples of Miller/Coors) beer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts