Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Whistling sound from the Shark nose area at about 60mph ! Anybody have this and or know where it's coming from ? Have had the bike for about 3 weeks now and rolled 2000 miles out of it so far and I gotta say it just rocks...I've had batwings and straight up apes in my time of riding but never had a bike stay true when going around and dealing with incoming semis, There's just not a whole hell of a lot that will upset this bike...Crosswinds are a breeze now !!! this thing is rock solid down the road, except the whistle !! :confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
The wind deflectors that you are referring to (that attach to the crashbar) are not intended to stop wind (as most people think), but to deflect the oncoming wind up behind the windshield to help equalize the air pressure. High pressure (from over and around the windshield) is constantly trying to equalize with the low pressure behind the windshield. This causes much turbulence and the dreaded "buffeting" that we've all been trying to eliminate or lessen for so long and in so many different ways! That's why they added the 2 large side vents on the redesigned current fairing....to help equalize the pressure difference and therefore reduce buffeting! I've had pretty good results since adding these deflectors, much better than without them, but still far from perfect. That's another reason why the Sanchos Wings work so well... They help to move the turbulent bubble behind the windshield back behind the rider. It's all physics and aerodynamics, and now I've rambled long enough. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I've read somewhere that a person started using painters tape on the fairing to find the whistle. It appears to be coming from between the bottom on the headlights and the fairing. Someone suggestion some round foam about 1/4" diameter stuffed in there to quiet it down.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
With all the testing that HD is supposed to do,this never came up while they were riding.Think i'll keep my 12.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This could be many things. Were there any pretty girls in the vicinity? Maybe your bike was whistling at them? Is your bike good looking (it's a friggin SHARK, it has to be good looking!)? Perhaps those around you are whistling at your bike?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've got a '15, but I haven't heard in whistling with mine. However, I literally have constant ringing in my ears, my exhaust is loud as hell, and now the radio is loud as hell. On top of that, I haven't really ridden it stock. I have a 14" Windvest and the wind deflectors down below that attach to the crash bar. For what it's worth, my wife hasn't complained of whistling, usually just complains about my riding style and choice of music.

Reactions: FilthHoler

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whistle

Mine does this, and it is definitely a wind related issue, at lower speeds, with gusting head winds, the whistle comes and goes. Mine seems to be around 50MPH, at higher speed either I am not noticing it or its just drowned out by road noise and radio. Definitely can hear it when slowing through the 50's.

It is not related to the vents or the windscreen, I do know that. interesting point is that it started about a month after I got it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have the same whistle on my 3 month old RGU. Did not start till after 2000 miles. Mine only made sound at about 60 mph. After seeing reports of it coming from under the headlight and trying tape myself, I broke down and took the outer fairing off and put auto rubber molding in the gap. Now it whistles at 50 mph so guess I'll take it apart and try again. Going to move the molding out closer to front of the gap and be sure I plugged all the air passages in that area.

It does it regardless of vent position. Tape across gap under headlight makes it go away but the gap is difficult to get anything into without removing outer fairing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My whistle cropped up on the way home from "first service". Was on nice NH roads, with a lot of 50mph. High humidity.

Later noticed the top vent was open, which I really ridden with it open very much. (Hasn't really been warm here)

Haven't ridden a lot since closing the vent. But, I haven't heard it yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tend to think its the fuel pump or something to do with the throttle servo. I’ve noticed a high pitch whine/whistle at all speeds above say 50mph, but only while I’m on the throttle or cruising, it stops a second after I start deceleration. Makes me think the fuel pressure climbs on deleration and the fuel pump stops.. thoughts?

Its definitely on the right side, I dont hear it at all in my left ear

·
Registered
178 Posts
You did test ride it right? Put 13" shocks on the RG and the ride will improve greatly. Sorry your not happy with the road glide. Sucks to spend that kind of money and not be happy. I will say there is no reason you can't make the RG ride and feel light years ahead of the eg and I'm currently on a 13 eg limited. I made the move from RG to batwing and regret it almost daily. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.