Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,344 Posts
The whistle I noticed on the first ride.... asked the dealership if they have had any complaints... NONE!!! I'm glad I'm not crazy.... Gonna check out the bottom of the headlight and axle nuts...

Thanks for the ideas... hopefully we can resolve this...

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I just turn up Radio
I can't hear the stock crap over 40mph.... sucks!

I just received my new inner mounting bracket yesterday, got the amp mounted up ready for install... just gotta get time to rip it all apart to get my tunes back where they should be...

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Whistle is coming from the right front axle holes, try wrapping black electric tape around the axle. I no longer have a whistle.
That's not it on mine... I have chrome caps on my axle stubs....

Reactions: ! rock103 !

· Registered
47 Posts
I noticed the whistling sound on my RG as well.
After reading this thread, I think I'm gonna get some FOAM TAPE and fill the gap between headlight housing and fairing. Hope it will take care of the whistling sound, cuz its quite annoying.....

· Registered
47 Posts
I had the same whistle. It's between the bottom of the light and fairing. I used painters tape to find the issue.
YOU ARE RIGHT!!

I picked up some Air Conditioniner weather seal at Home Depot for $2.00 and cut it to the right length just to fill the gap between bottom side of headlight and fairing. THen just stuffed it in from bottom of the fairing.

Annoying whistling sound went away completely!

It cost me only $2 and I didn't even have to take the fairing off!
Thanks for your info!

· Registered
2020 Limited.
505 Posts
Our whistle developed in the mountains after going out of the humidity into dryer air. The rubber seal between the shield and faring has just enough clearance to let air thru thus the whistle. Listened the bolts adjusted the seal and no more whistle!

· Registered
1 Posts
Went on ride today and this famous whistle began. Just turned 3000k on this RGS looked up this thread and looks like the black air conditioning foam sticky works... why didn't this start when I bought it? Riding the the bumpy Illinois roads trigger it? Definitely strange if you ask me and why hasn't Harley addressed it. They think we are crazy?

· Registered
98 Posts
The wind deflectors that you are referring to (that attach to the crashbar) are not intended to stop wind (as most people think), but to deflect the oncoming wind up behind the windshield to help equalize the air pressure. High pressure (from over and around the windshield) is constantly trying to equalize with the low pressure behind the windshield. This causes much turbulence and the dreaded "buffeting" that we've all been trying to eliminate or lessen for so long and in so many different ways! That's why they added the 2 large side vents on the redesigned current fairing....to help equalize the pressure difference and therefore reduce buffeting! I've had pretty good results since adding these deflectors, much better than without them, but still far from perfect. That's another reason why the Sanchos Wings work so well... They help to move the turbulent bubble behind the windshield back behind the rider. It's all physics and aerodynamics, and now I've rambled long enough. Hope this helps!
I'm sorry, but this is backwards. Fluid pressure decreases with velocity. With velocity zero, the pressure on both sides of the fairing/windshield are equal. At speed, the pressure in front of the windshield is lower than the pressure behind the windshield. A quick read of Bernoulli's Principal would provide more information.

· Registered
2020 Limited.
505 Posts
The whistle on my ‘15 CVO came from the windshield look close where the rubber seal is on the bottom, any minor area where it can flow air and it will whistle. Get it wet and it stops. I took my windshield off cleaned the seal put it back together and whistle stopped. About every 6-8 months it starts again and I repeat.

· Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like your bike could just be happy and whistles while riding, get the right rhythm and whistle along with it makes for a happier ride. Just watch for bees etc, wont make that mistake again.

· Registered
20 Posts
I had a whistle on mine after changing windshields. I discovered that there was a tiny gap at the bottom of the windshield, right in the middle. I loosened the windshield fasteners, pressed down and held the windshield in the bottom center, and tightened the fasteners. Whistle was gone.

· Registered
2 Posts
Picked up a Whistling sound from the Shark nose area at about 60mph ! Anybody have this and or know where it's coming from ? Have had the bike for about 3 weeks now and rolled 2000 miles out of it so far and I gotta say it just rocks...I've had batwings and straight up apes in my time of riding but never had a bike stay true when going around and dealing with incoming semis, There's just not a whole hell of a lot that will upset this bike...Crosswinds are a breeze now !!! this thing is rock solid down the road, except the whistle !! :confused:
I can't find my whistle at all.took it harley and there blamming my apes and after market winsheild .still can't find the whistle

· Registered
4,414 Posts
I hate riding around with a whistle. I.am grabbing and moving and trying other things to see if I can find something loose or to make it better or worse. When I can get out, I am going to the store and buy a peice of door edging and put it on the bottom of my madstad. Sorry but cant remember who said to try this. Have the pic though!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.