Road Glide banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know seats are a personal thing and opinions are like anal orifices ..

Had a Sundowner on the 08 RG and liked it a lot , she wasn't riding much then with me as she had her Harley ..

However comma , to me the stock RGU seat sucks , and I got a bat ultra seat from a buddy for a C note , it is better for me riding around town as the seat is narrower than the RGU seat , and it sucks on the road , and she hates it .

I got her a skwoosh gel pad before we left for the Smokies and that was a waste of fifty bucks . It aint werth a half a cuss in her book ..

The RZ air bags from Harley appear to be knock offs or perhaps are Airhawks with a change or two in them .. The RZ air bags have mixed reviews on the HD website and the Airhawks are great reviews .. They seem to be a good solution but I thinketh a seat may be in order , for a few more clams ..

The Hammock and RZ seem like most peeps like them , I like the idea of the air bags and the Hammock seems to be a seat with a glorified suspension in it .. Which seems a bit suspicious to me ..

Who has the Hammock and who has the RZ and who has had both and your thunks on the issue ..

I'm think a demo seat may be in order ..

JtB

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yes a demo for sure. I demoed a few and went with the hammock. With that said it is a large seat and looks better with the tour pack on. Used to switch seats when taking to TP off but that became a pita.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We had the Hammock and it was a pretty good seat. The 'hammock' action only applies to the rider. For the passenger it's just a nice, cushy seat and my wife liked it much better than the stock RGC seat. The 'hammock' suspension is a little gimmicky but it does work fairly well. If you're a big guy like me it tends to put a little pressure on your tailbone. I found it also caused me to sit in a slouched position that gave me lower back pain and hip pain. This was solved by adding a Mustang driver's back rest. Once I added that the whole setup was much more comfortable and I could ride with no lower back or hip pain.

The Hammock is relatively cheaply made. The seat 'pan' is plastic and the vinyl covering is haphazardly stapled in place. It looks relatively nice from the top when new but flip it over and it just screams cheap production. The other problem I encountered (and I'm not the only one) is that the left side would get squished down and make contact with the cover of the left saddle bag and would rub the finish in the top, front inside corner. This might be because I don't sit straight on the bike or the foam breaking down and I'm sure being a big, fat guy didn't help either! I have a post in this forum about it and I was not the only one with this issue. It's not always the left side either, some had the problem on the right and I think one person had it on both.

The foam seemed to break down pretty quick for me (again, a big guy at 250) but it seemed to hold up fine for my wife but she's tiny. I noticed after a while that the foam seemed to provide no support for me and the 'hammock' was doing all the work. But even so the seat was still comfortable with the backrest in use. The vinyl cover held up very well with no rips or tears. Another bad thing about the cheap plastic seat pan is the that area where the metal tongue engages the slot under the seat wore and after time the seat would move side to side. Just the front and just a little though, maybe a quarter inch.

After selling that bike I sold the seat off and we went with a Le Pera Maverick which is a much higher quality build with metal seat pan, aluminum rivets holding the high quality naugahyde vinyl and a nice medium density foam. It was the same price as the Hammock new (around $500) and it also looks a whole lot nicer. The Hammock is larger and looks very 'pillowy'. I wrote a very long detailed review on the Maverick.

I have no experience with the RZ. I would say that depending on your size and physical condition the Hammock might work for you. The 'hammock' action does feel a little weird at first in the way is distributes pressure but like I said, it worked well for us for 2 years and 12k miles. But you can definitely get a whole lot more seat elsewhere for the price of one new. A lot of people really like the Mustang Touring seats. I had one on a metric cruiser and it was great.

You are correct that seats are very personal preference. I had a couple AirHawk pads and I did not find them that helpful with any seat I had and sold them off. Good luck and let us know which way you go.

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you talked me out of the hammock

Seems I recall your write up , gonna go give it a read ..

Went by the stealer today , they have the smaller RZ in a demo and he cant seem to find where the larger and more expensive one is . That one would be the one I would get , if I got one of them ..

I had a Mustang some years ago and liked it ..

What I really want isn't made or cant be found , Harley ( almost certain it was Harley ) made a double bucket back in the 80's into the 90's , it was an awesome seat ..

We aint too different weight wise . I'm 6' , 220 ish and she is 140 ish

Thanks

JtB

·
Registered
463 Posts
What's a 'double bucket'?

Le Pera - the company that makes the Maverick seat I have - also makes a model they call The Continental which they call a 'double bucket' design. Might be worth checking out. I vouch for their quality!

Here's a direct link: http://www.lepera.com/v4_Touring_Models_detail.php?SEATID=18

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you're exploring different options and since you have 2 stock seats, I had good luck with Astech seats. I read that Shrug on this forum is also a fan of theirs.

The put a gel pad on the seat pan, then build up layers of varying density memory foam. They can shape the seat however you like. I had this done to my C&C Fastback solo seat, and like the results. Think it cost me like $230.00.

http://www.astechseat.com/

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you're exploring different options and since you have 2 stock seats, I had good luck with Astech seats. I read that Shrug on this forum is also a fan of theirs.

The put a gel pad on the seat pan, then build up layers of varying density memory foam. They can shape the seat however you like. I had this done to my C&C Fastback solo seat, and like the results. Think it cost me like $230.00.

http://www.astechseat.com/
I've looked at their website and thought about sending them my Le Pera in the off season. While the Maverick is very comfortable, it's still not perfect and I wonder if letting Astech do their thing might not be worth the $250.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Subscribed . . . .

I had my stock RGU seat modded by MCC. Awesome seat in town, but felt like riding a brick on long rides. I emailed Allen, and he responded VERY quickly, and asked that I send my seat back to be redone with a different density foam. I did that, and got it back yesterday. Went for a ride this morning, and it's a little better, but after even an hour and a half ride, my lower back is killing me. Didn't get that with the stock seat.

I will say that my wife had her seat heavily modded by MCC and loves it.

My point . . . MCC has outstanding customer service, but I guess their seats just don't get along with my butt, so I am seat shopping again.

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems I read once where allen wanted you to give it a thousand miles to break in .

Do you recall that ?

Did he charge you for the fix ?

For a few dollars more than the price of fixing my seat for front and rear I can get the Maverick from Revzilla ..

JtB

·
Registered
641 Posts
Seems I read once where allen wanted you to give it a thousand miles to break in .

Do you recall that ?

Did he charge you for the fix ?

For a few dollars more than the price of fixing my seat for front and rear I can get the Maverick from Revzilla ..

JtB
I had over 7,000 on the original mod. Just got this one, and I'm not changing seats until I change bars, so I'll have over 1,000 on it before I make my final decision. No he didn't charge me for the fix. He has been great to work with since the start.

FWIW, I wouldn't let my review stop you from going with his mods because I also hate mustang seats and many people love them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Road Zeppelin on my 2012 RGU and really like it. I should say that I got it for free so the price was right. It was one that had been replaced under warranty as the air pump had come loose. One of the dealers that I go to used to have piles of take-off and warranty parts and a buddy that worked at the dealer gave it to me. The only problem with the pump was a zip-tie had come loose. That is how they secure the pump at the factory. After 2 years I did have to replace the switches/valve mechanism, which I got from the company that makes the seat for Harley.

So the good part of these seats is the air bladder system that lets you adjust the seat as you ride. There are two bladders for the rider and one for the passenger. On long days it is nice to be able to vary the shape of the seat. The bad side for me is that it sits me farther forward than I would like. I had a tall boy on my Road King and it sat me back an inch or so. I wish the LZ sat me back an inch or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.