Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANYONE SEE A S&S 106 CI KIT FOR LESS MONEY THAN THIS ONE $645.95
Bolt-on 9 to 10 cubic inches
Piston weight for 106" kits are the same as stock, requiring no flywheel rebalancing
Cylinders do not require crankcase machining to install
Forged coated pistons are compatible with stock or S&S Super Stock heads
Valve pocket recessed in S&S pistons are enlarged for oversize valves and higher lift cams
Silver or black wrinkle powder-coated cylinder finish color matches stock Harley-Davidson finish
Kits include piston set, top end gasket, S&S cylinders

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SS-106-HOTSETUPS&CartID=

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
Seems like a good price. There is a guy Jim's VTwin in Charlotte that builds harley engines and kits. I talked to him for an hour. Very smart man. He will sell his 107 kit with your parts bored ported corello pistons custom ground cams totally ready to install and all needed gaskets for 875 plus freight.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I HEARD 107 IS A LITTLE LARGE FOR STOCK CASES AND BORING A 96 OR 103 TO 107 LEAVES THE CYLINDERS A BIT THIN I HAVE HEARD OF Jim's VTwin HE IS ALL OVER EBAY I NEVER HEARD A BAD THING ABOUT HIM THE 106 WAS FREE SHIPPING I WILL INSTALL THIS WEEK AND POST BACK THANKS FOR THE REPLY

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just finished breaking in a similar build that I put in. Getting it dyno tuned next Wednesday. Results to follow.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rockajet
I am sure you wil like your build Drago parts are top of the line there shop is top notch when it comes to twin cams I am using a tourque cam a little less hp more tg Drago Bike Works said my build Should be about 105 HP 115/118 tq and look at the compression i should get

S&S says this about there cylinders if you can belive them time will tell
At 3.927" bore, these cylinders have the largest bore that we feel can safely be used in a cylinder with stock spigot diameter. In fact, this kit is only offered with S&S cylinders because, even though stock cylinders can physically be bored to fit the 3.927" pistons, we are not confident that the material used to make the stock cylinder liner and spigot is strong enough. The cylinder liner material in S&S cylinders is much stronger, and has proven its ability to stand up to the added power in numerous dyno pulls, street miles, and a lot of quarter mile drag strip runs. There is a trade-off for the ease of installation, which is that only one piston oversize is available for this kit. This really is as big as we are willing to go with a stock diameter cylinder spigot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
funny they say that when S&S now sells their own 107" kit. you'll be fine with the 106" but there's no issue with 107". My cylinders are S&S 106" punched out to 107", only reason I went with S&S's cylinders was for the thicker fins for better cooling plus my stock fins were kinda crappy looking. There are tons of people here on this forum with bored stock cylinders to 107" , I never heard of any issues ever. Dragos, fuelmoto, hillside & Rosa's , all reputable engine builders will tell you there's no issues boring stock cylinders to 3.937" (107). They wouldn't guarantee their builds if so.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We were one of the very FIRST shops in the country to bore the OE cylinder to 3.937" back in 2006 in the 88"ers, looooooong before S&S, or others, started to "market" theirs.
We had already been boring HD cylinders for 19 years prior to that.
In 2007, we contacted Wiseco and went into a huddle with their folks and started having them manufacture a piston/gasket kit for both 88-98", and 96-107".
Our kits come with a COMPLETE Cometic engine gasket kit, your cylinders are bored/torque honed/plateau honed, and the ring end gaps are set, and installed on the pistons.................$600.00.
We also offer that along with either an S&S .570 E-Z, at 10.0 cr or .585 E-Z at 10.5 cr, with a K&N oil filter, NGK plugs and a Barnett clutch spring....................$998.00.
HUGE gain for that money.:)
Scott

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
I would think the S&S 106 kit is a good way to go. To begin with S&S is a company with a good reputation and there shouldn't be any issues with their parts.
Also cylinders made for the 106 kit would have thicker walls then a bored out 96 or 103 cylinders would have which should make a stronger more dependable ride.
The cost of boring your cylinders if you figure in shipping cost and down time will be close to the cost of buying cylinders so why not get a build kit.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I only stated what I had heard i had no experience of my own thiis is only my 2nd twin cam i have been riding an building my own Indian flatheads sense the early 60s I am to old to start it all over again thats why i choose a bolt on kit looking for a few more hp and tg my bike as is now gets 82hp and 101tq with a bad slipping clutch thank you for the info

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I would think the S&S 106 kit is a good way to go. To begin with S&S is a company with a good reputation and there shouldn't be any issues with their parts.
Also cylinders made for the 106 kit would have thicker walls then a bored out 96 or 103 cylinders would have which should make a stronger more dependable ride.
The cost of boring your cylinders if you figure in shipping cost and down time will be close to the cost of buying cylinders so why not get a build kit.
Absolutely nothing wrong with boring the OEM cylinder whatsoever as I have already clearly stated, and also proven.
Old, old news.
I've even posted cutaway pics of the cylinders on other message boards showing evidence to document and verify, a few years ago.
The other kits DO NOT plateau hone.
The other kits DO NOT set the ring gaps, or install them on the pistons.
The other kits DO NOT come with a COMPLETE gasket set.
Your going to pay shipping at least to get it to you, and as far as "down time", it is not a backhoe, or 10 wheeler, or Bobcat you make your living with, it is a motorcycle cylinder, and the proper-prior-planning-prevents-piss-poor- proceduce method, can also stop any unwanted "down time".:)
Scott

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
106??

Guess what I am not gonna build a 106ci kit what I am gonna do is upgrade my engine to a 58mm throtle body with the heads I have 79cc and the 551 cam this should put me over 100hp and over 100 tq i will post the dyno when I am done I love the low end tq too much to get a few more horse at 3000-5000 rpm and up to give up the low end tg with different cams and add 10 ci to the engine with the 106 kit the 58mm throttle body should add the extra hp to this bike

·
Registered
2019 RGS 114 22x and lots of other expensive stuff
392 Posts
Guess what I am not gonna build a 106ci kit what I am gonna do is upgrade my engine to a 58mm throtle body with the heads I have 79cc and the 551 cam this should put me over 100hp and over 100 tq i will post the dyno when I am done I love the low end tq too much to get a few more horse at 3000-5000 rpm and up to give up the low end tg with different cams and add 10 ci to the engine with the 106 kit the 58mm throttle body should add the extra hp to this bike
I would save your money on the throttle body that's not going to do anything for you. Your stock one is more than enough. Put it into a good tune Just sayin

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Confused

The whol thing is confussing me I have the 106 kit I have stock cams and 551 583 and 570 cams I also have the SE 58mm T body I have the SS 9cc heads on the bike I like the low end tq I didnt want the bike to turn on at 3000 rpm so with the 106 and 79cc heads the compression is 10.8:1 and that is to high S&S said I could try the 570 cam but it might be marginable I dont want to buy new heads and dont have the time to have mine reworked I have read that the 58mm t body with stock injectors are for engines up to 100 hp as far as the compression being high I can adjust the map for detonition problems anyway guess it will be trial and error

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would save your money on the throttle body that's not going to do anything for you. Your stock one is more than enough. Put it into a good tune Just sayin
Agreed!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Here are my choices in cams what will work for a 106 with 58mm t b and 79cc heads
Ditch the 106 kit along with the 58mm t/b. You said in an earlier post that you like the TQ of the 551 cams. S&S already told you that the compression of the 106 with the heads you have is too much for those cams. Those other cams you listed will work good but come on later than you want, therefore, you wont have the TQ that you have now coming out of the hole. Once again it comes down to riding style and the RPM range that you are going to ride in a majority of the time.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.