Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to make a jump and I figured I'll go all in. I have a 2012 road glide with stock 103. I dont want to dump money into my motor and realize I want more.

I have been looking in to the either upgrading my 103 or just buying new a crate engine. I have heard a lot of great things about S&S Cycle T124 Engine with easy start 640 camshafts.

I guess my question is. Is it worth buying a new crate engine or should I go with the 124 Big bore kit and deal with boring out the crankcase and everything else.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The crate 124" with a .640 is more akin for use in a Dyna, or Softail.
The LC version with a .585 does come in quicker, but if looking for more than that,(much more) we use either a Wood 9F, or a T-Man 662-2 cams, along with our Stage II Headwork for that casting, and NOW, you have HUGE torque right where a touring bike can really take advantage of it.
Scott

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Option 1) Full motor is the best way to go IMO S&S 124 nice motor, I would recommend neither the 585 or the 640 cam, 635HO Cam is the best cam for that motor in my opinion. Not sure what those motors go for no a days. Dragos Bike works also puts out a very nice 124 as well and his customer service is better. either way 58-62mm TB 66 is too much (again my opinion) :)

Option 2) Fuelmoto Outlaw motor 126 numbers are in the 150 range that motor is 7k I believe

Option 3) 107 and 117 kits you can get very comparable to a 124 (with 117 kit) these kits and save about 2k

Option 4) Turbo Kits are around 4500-5k - With cams you can see alot of torque and this a bolt on solution

It really depends on your budget, as well as what are you looking for performance wise.. There is always a number people have in their head where they want to be when they think big bore or crate motor, between that and your budget it will help you make the choice :)

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I would think that your best option would be the new crate motor either from S&S, Dragos, or Fuel Moto.
By the time you pull a motor and send it out for machine work install the kit the cost will be about the same.
The main advantage of doing the crate motor is less down time and there is a 1 year warranty on the new motor where a build kit would have more down time and no warranty.
Plus you can sell your 103 and get a few bucks back, 103 are a dime a dozen now so don't expect to get a lot for it though.

Reactions: ! rock103 !

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Well I did the S&S 124" with the 640 cams and a 66 mm throttle body last summer and it's a beast. I was running Rinhart true duels with a SE heavy breather and a car tire and pulled 132/134 on the dyno. Tuner said I was probably giving up 8-10 with that set up. This winter I'm going to a Drago's "H" pipe and a S&S stealth intake. The car tire stays!! I will see what she pulls in the spring.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Some perspective has to be put to those numbers though you are talking about a much different set of compression numbers in those motors the 120 is what 10 to 1 and the S&S is 10.8 to 1 it does make a difference. in what is seen on the dyno as well as the 4 cubes that will make a difference as seen by the 103 / 107 builds.
No replacement for displacement or compression especially if the heads / headwork works.

Bang for the buck S&S wins imo and experience. That said I own a 120 Jims, a 131 jims, a hot 124 S&S and 2 x 120r. Most are hard pressed to play with my 131 and even harder pressed to run with the 124.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Some perspective has to be put to those numbers though you are talking about a much different set of compression numbers in those motors the 120 is what 10 to 1 and the S&S is 10.8 to 1 it does make a difference. in what is seen on the dyno as well as the 4 cubes that will make a difference as seen by the 103 / 107 builds.

No replacement for displacement or compression especially if the heads / headwork works.

Bang for the buck S&S wins imo and experience. That said I own a 120 Jims, a 131 jims, a hot 124 S&S and 2 x 120r. Most are hard pressed to play with my 131 and even harder pressed to run with the 124.

That's an impressive array of engines! So of all of those motors, you say the 124 runs the best? I'm looking to put the S&S 124 into my bike. What cams /throttle body/pipes do you run with it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's an impressive array of engines! So of all of those motors, you say the 124 runs the best? I'm looking to put the S&S 124 into my bike. What cams /throttle body/pipes do you run with it?

My 124 is not something most people are going to duplicate. I am running a HPI 62mm with the B2 manifold, a custom cam by John Sachs, Drago's 2.55 2 into 1 with an HPI Air Cleaner, 6.22 injectors and Sachs headwork.

Depending on what you want out of the 124" you might consider either building it from your cases or buying the 124 with SE Cases so you dont have the exposed oil lines that come on the new T2 cases. Are you looking for a world beater, touring, or bar hopper.

124 heavy hitter - B2 heads, 1.7x corrected roller rockers with a 640 cam set to 11.8/9 to 1 with the 640 cam (yields a 680 lift out of the cam dont use the 675 cam). Open air breather A/C 6.22 injectors If it is a 07 up bike you are stuck with a 70mm throttle body atm until HPI resolves this. 62mm if throttleby wire 2 bolt style of head NOT 4 bolt flanges. Drago Fang pipe or borzilla with quiet baffle depending on taste. If you go with SE you are not locked into S&S stuff you will have standard bolt pattern then.

124 Touring : 585 cams set compression 10.25 to 1 / 10.4 to 1 depending on your tastes. 58mm 5.39 injectors, drago 2 into 1 etc

124 bar hopper 11.6 to 1 - 640 cam 58 mm 6.22 injectors, 2 into 1
headwork (recommend Sachs) SE Cases, premium lifters etc drago 2.55 - 2 into 1

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Like the post says, I'm looking for the one that RUNs the best. Not necessarily the fastest, but possibly the smoothest.

Definitely touring........with a hint of world beater when I snap the throttle. When I was looking at the options on the S&S website, the 124 comes with 640 cams. I'm also looking at the Boarzilla if I can get it quieted down.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Jealous! Wish I was in the market for and S&S powerplant. >:)

·
Administrator
10,491 Posts
I'm leaving my 103 alone until it grenades/dies /rolls over , then a 124LC , unless there is evidence that the 143 is a longevity motor , and the hype from S&S is just covering their butts , or see if they will build me a LC version of the 143 .

If I still had my EVO TG , I would get a 175" PRP motor ..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts